Newbie fresh from windows phone refugee camp

Kavu2

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, new to Android here, Sony XZ2c w/9 Pie. Have jumped in with eyes closed hoping for the best. Hopefully I'll pick things up pretty fast. Am a minimalist, so that should speed things along. Am not necessarily trying to simulate the WP experience...giving Android layouts/apps a chance. So far so good.

Thanks for the forum to share resources and info!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Microsoft has been developing more for Android after stopping support for Windows Phone, so it's worth looking into their apps (like Microsoft Launcher).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What an awesome phone you have - welcome to Android Central! Sony is great!

The good thing about Android is that you can customize your experience as little or as much as you like! You'll learn things as you go, do not worry! And we'll all be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Kavu2

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for the welcome! Am enjoying the Sony XZ2c very much and getting along with Android just fine. I miss a few things from WP UI but life moves on. Enjoy the moment now, <whoosh> b/c it's already gone. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the welcome! Am enjoying the Sony XZ2c very much and getting along with Android just fine. I miss a few things from WP UI but life moves on. Enjoy the moment now, <whoosh> b/c it's already gone. :)

So glad you are enjoying your XZ2 Compact! That seems to be a very popular line at the moment because of its smaller size. You'll find some users around the forums! Enjoy!

fiveaces01

Dec 10, 2018
Visit site
This is the perfect thread for me. I have been using the Nokia 1520 for a long time and I have finally had the tipping point.Not even sure what it was exactly, but the bottom line is I wanted a up to date device with great hardware and display that would be able to play video from whatever I might be trying to watch (Espn, Fox, Golf Channel, etc. ) and have a very good camera. I use the camera a lot for work. I am a retired PGA golf pro, but I still do a lot of teaching and good video with frame by frame capability is invaluable for my students. I Nokia 920 for along time before the 1520. So the operating system I really know well is Windows. I even developed an app for the MS store. It is truly astounding that a company with their success can be so blind when it comes to the changing technology in our society, The natural tendency for people will always be to use the same type of software at home that they carry around with them in their pocket. And these days no one has anything from MS in their pocket.

Which brings me to the hunt for a new phone. Don't care for the restrictive nature of Apple, so Android it is. Did a lot of reading and really liked what I heard and saw about the OnePlus phones. Was able to find a OnePlus 6 a great price. Will begin a new journey tomorrow.

Bruce