How are you liking your Robin?

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I just spent my first full weekend with my Robin and I have to say, I'm quite impressed. The camera is definitely alright and the battery held up each day. So far my only complaint is that my USB cable is garbage and I'm having to use the one from my 950.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm really liking mine so far as well. I was initially worried with performance, but haven't really got any hiccups yet. I admit I haven't taken many photos yet, but the ones I have aren't bad at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm really liking mine so far as well. I was initially worried with performance, but haven't really got any hiccups yet. I admit I haven't taken many photos yet, but the ones I have aren't bad at all.

Agreed - the thing is lightning fast... except the camera app. But the camera isn't as poor as most people made it out to be.

It was mentioned somewhere that they're speeding up the camera app in the next update, so we have that to look forward to as well.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Just received mine this week. Darn what a great product. My friends are asking what type of phone is that is really elegant looking. Midnight blue is the color I have. Some new software updates I see are heading our way soon!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I hope you don't mind me using this thread for first impressions and later edit or type a new response.

First impressions:
This device is huge. I normally use an iPhone SE so yeah.
I love the colors and design of this phone. Green!!
Also really liking the launcher.
Whoa the sound is probably one of the best I have ever heard on a phone.
The power button is really flush against the phone.
I didn't know what to expect for the corners but the corners don't feel sharp in the hand.
I just set it up last night so that is all for now.

Final impressions:
I no longer have this phone.
Loved the look and the concept but had to return it after dealing with it being stuck in airplane mode.
Not interested in doing a factory reset every time this happens.

Last edited:

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine during the Amazon sale and so far I'm very happy with it! The build and hand feel are surprisingly good, the tastefully done UI is the first android skin I've liked in a long time.

My timing was also good because of the recent updates, and I think the speakers sound excellent, and the camera, while not up there with the leaders, is solid.

So, first impressions are very positive, we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. :)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't pass up 100 dollars off either! ;) Mine is coming tomorrow, well I guess later today since it's after midnight here, lol! Had I ordered it 1 hour earlier I could have even gotten it already with same day shipping! lol

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I really like mine; two gripes though.

1) Wish it had double tap to wake.
2) The speakers are too loud with the latest update.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually I think I just figured out what you are talking about. I just played a couple of YouTube videos and it was too loud on its lowest setting. This is only the second day I have had it and I didn't listen to it prior to the update. This will be very annoying in situations where you are in a very quiet environment and want or need a low volume and level one sounds like level 5 on other phones.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Happy to find out it will be fixed on the next update, but its hard to fathom how the last update was released with this oversight.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Actually I think I just figured out what you are talking about. I just played a couple of YouTube videos and it was too loud on its lowest setting. This is only the second day I have had it and I didn't listen to it prior to the update. This will be very annoying in situations where you are in a very quiet environment and want or need a low volume and level one sounds like level 5 on other phones.

I agree about this. Someone posted a temporary fix on the Nextbit forums. Install DSP Manager Lite and save a preset to fix the sound thing. Moving all of the things to the left would adjust the sound to be the way you want it to be. I did that myself. Let me take a screenshot and add it to this post on mobile.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to double post but it wouldn't let me add the image to my last post.

Attachments

• 998.jpg
    998.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 69

Pablo Alava

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The loudness of of the device is not the issue for me, it's great, however, when I place the volume at the lowest possible setting, it is still really loud. At least on my unit, after the update, there is not a big difference between the volume settings. It's loud, or really loud to the point where the sounds starts to crack.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The loudness of of the device is not the issue for me, it's great, however, when I place the volume at the lowest possible setting, it is still really loud. At least on my unit, after the update, there is not a big difference between the volume settings. It's loud, or really loud to the point where the sounds starts to crack.

I agree. I like the DSP but I think I will only use that when I plan to listen to audio. It being on ALL the time is a serious battery drain. I'm on my 2nd full day, (it's been 3 1/4 days now) and I need to see how the battery is without that running and draining the battery noticeably enough.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Final impressions:
I no longer have this phone.
Loved the look and the concept but had to return it after dealing with it being stuck in airplane mode.
Not interested in doing a factory reset every time this happens.

Okay, so I felt like I should adjust/update my impressions. I was really disappointed that the Robin was stuck in airplane mode, and I felt so cheated of wanting to try it. Of course, I returned it and got my money back. Then it went on sale recently and since I felt the way I did, I decided to give it a second try.

(Whoops, didn't mean for it to be this long)
The tl;dr version:
-Liking almost everything about this device, including that VoLTE and Band 12 on T-Mo.
-Not liking daily charging and the MMS not working with WiFi connected
-My dislikes are so annoying that it has me debating if I want to keep this

The long version:
Thankfully this try is better. It's been 4 days and I find that I am mostly liking it a lot. It's actually making me rethink how I view Android. Really a fan of the UI. I'm satisfied with the camera and the speakers. I did install the DSP Lite thing that I suggested upthread but I decided not to use it anymore because it drains the battery. My workaround for now is to set the volume at low (it's not really so low but eh). Call volume is pretty good on speaker and in general.

I'm on T-Mobile, so the VoLTE and Band 12 was a super important thing for me to have or else I would have passed on this device (more so the latter thing and not the former though). My work kind of sucks for reception big time, so WiFi calling was important and I was nervous about this. At work, I have not lost reception once.

The Robin has been mostly pleasant, my only issues are the following two things:
-Battery life. I have had to charge my Robin every day, and I don't really like that. Coming from the SE which I charge every other day, this is a huge adjustment. If there's something I can do about this, I would be open to hearing it, but I'll rather not flash another ROM.
-MMS issue with WiFi connected. This seems to be a issue for not just me. I randomly get MMS (from my friends, coworkers, and sis, but my coworkers are the most likely, more so group texts over images though). The scary thing about this is that I wouldn't even know if I have a MMS until I toggle the WiFi off. Luckily, I have 10gb of data but this is annoying for sure.

So I'm on the fence about keeping this for my two annoyances mainly. Generally though, I enjoy the sound, the UI/launcher, camera, and of course, the look of the phone.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
-Battery life. I have had to charge my Robin every day, and I don't really like that. Coming from the SE which I charge every other day, this is a huge adjustment. If there's something I can do about this, I would be open to hearing it, but I'll rather not flash another ROM.
-MMS issue with WiFi connected.

So I'm on the fence about keeping this for my two annoyances mainly.

I'm glad you gave it a second chance! Yeah, battery life is a solid day. I'm running CM 13 on it now and it's vastly improved my battery life, but how I use the phone, it's definitely a solid day and night out (which I rarely do) and no more. Plus, if you don't want to Rom your phone, that's no option anyway.

I was also having mms issues before and now no longer. There are some things cm isn't good at, but they did fix the things Nextbit was bad at.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you gave it a second chance! Yeah, battery life is a solid day. I'm running CM 13 on it now and it's vastly improved my battery life, but how I use the phone, it's definitely a solid day and night out (which I rarely do) and no more. Plus, if you don't want to Rom your phone, that's no option anyway.

I was also having mms issues before and now no longer. There are some things cm isn't good at, but they did fix the things Nextbit was bad at.

Thank you, me too! Really didn't think that I would enjoy it so much, never saw myself enjoying an Android phone this much.

Ah dang, the fact that this fixed both things has me curious now.

VoLTE is too valuable for me though to lose. Even so, I'm curious what things you say that CM isn't good at though.

Edit: Someone posted a workaround for the MMS thing on the Nextbit forums that actually isn't too bad, and it seems to work for now.

Last edited: