What Happens to a Rooted Nexus 10 When Jelly Bean 4.3 Comes Out??

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted Nexus 10 with Jelly Bean 4.2.2. I take it if I upgrade to 4.3 my tablet will no longer be rooted. If that is true, then how do I keep it from automatically updating? Obviously if you have Wi-Fi off will stop it, but then you need Wi-Fi to....well use your tablet and update apps. What should be done then?

Thanks in advance!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted, you aren't going to get OTA updates.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted, you aren't going to get OTA updates.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

This isn't entirely true. I'm on Franco's Kernel, Rooted, Unlocked. Woke up - lo' and behold, 4.3 system update. However, I haven't flashed the stock 4.2.2 kernel yet; so, I know if I installed the updates, I'd soft-brick my N10. =p

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
This isn't entirely true. I'm on Franco's Kernel, Rooted, Unlocked. Woke up - lo' and behold, 4.3 system update. However, I haven't flashed the stock 4.2.2 kernel yet; so, I know if I installed the updates, I'd soft-brick my N10. =p

Thanks for telling me that. I've flashed the ROM to 4.2.2, but I didn't know you could brick it by doing that. I was thinking about trying 4.3 and if I did, I would have gone into settings and tried the update. So, if I want a rooted 4.3 version, I'll have to wait until someone releases a 4.3 ROM?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
Got the N10 4.3 update just fine on a rooted and unlocked device this weekend. I lost root however recovered it. The whole process including update took about 15 minutes. Search my posts on how I recovered root.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Got the N10 4.3 update just fine on a rooted and unlocked device this weekend. I lost root however recovered it. The whole process including update took about 15 minutes. Search my posts on how I recovered root.
I'm confused as to how you got the OTA update. I thought if you were rooted, you had to unroot to get it or just use an updated ROM.

eahinrichsen

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have rooted or flashed a custom recovery, OTA updates will he unavailable for most OEM/carrier-branded devices. This does not seem to be the case for Nexus devices, though. As long as you have a stock ROM, you should get the OTA. Both my N4 and N10 are rooted and have CWM recovery, but they both got the OTA.

Posted via Android Central App

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, it normally will - even if you're rooted. In my case, I was using a custom kernel (Franco Kernel); which happens to modify some system files. In order for the OTA update to function properly, I had to flash the stock system files and recovery (which wasn't affected, but just wanted to be sure). My Nexus 4 is on 4.3 - my Nexus 10, I'll probably get to 4.3 later today. I just wasn't in the mood to flash stock system/recovery files again. No, neither devices were/will be wiped (just pushed the files without the -w [wipe] tag).

I'm confused as to how you got the OTA update. I thought if you were rooted, you had to unroot to get it or just use an updated ROM.

As eahinrichsen had said, as long as you're running the stock ROM - you'll get the OTA update. The only problem is, if you have a custom kernel or recovery, the update will (most likely) fail. In the past, this could soft-brick your device. In my experience, this time (I figured I'd try it for the heck of it), my Nexus 10 simply rebooted after it reported an error with the update and started up into 4.2.2 again. Like I said, I still need to flash stock files as Franco's Kernel modifies some system files.