nexus 4 headphones

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
You guys, please stop. You're making me cry with this sad, sad story.

The headphones that we used to get with phones were cheap, but functional ... but the phones' cost (real cost, not "on contract" discounted and rebated cost) compensated the maker for the cheap little ear buds. Shame on HTC for buying Beats and then giving everyone the expectation that a smartphone should come with earbuds. If you want good quality earbuds, today's phone makers let you pick them out for yourself. Even Apple, up to the ballyhooed iPhone 5 ear buds, gave you crappy, tinny little things that no one who cared about music ever unwrapped; if you wanted "real" ear buds, you had to buy their $70 premium buds.

A top-tier phone like the Nexus 4, selling at 1/2 the price of a comparable phone, just doesn't include gewgaws and frills like your dad's phone. If you want cheap little OEM earbuds, buy these "premium" buds for yourself for less than the price of a good lunch. Oh, too expensive? Try these cheapos, they'll cost you less than a 7-layer burrito and small soda at Taco Hell.

But please, don't cry like a girl that your $350 Nexus 4 doesn't come with ear buds, or a Express-On changeable cover, or winky-blinky key fob, or lanyard loop to hang if off your backpack. You're buying a phone, and at an incredible thin-as-Saran-Wrap profit margin. Asking for any extras is equivalent to asking for a pony.

Best reply I've read in a while!

Side note, I have a set of beats headphones from a rezound, I like em.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: REALLY, you expect ear buds, too? how about a My Little Pony sticker for your backpack...

The headphones that we used to get with phones were cheap, but functional ... but the phones' cost (real cost, not "on contract" discounted and rebated cost) compensated the maker for the cheap little ear buds. Shame on HTC for buying Beats and then giving everyone the expectation that a smartphone should come with earbuds. If you want good quality earbuds, today's phone makers let you pick them out for yourself. Even Apple, up to the ballyhooed iPhone 5 ear buds, gave you crappy, tinny little things that no one who cared about music ever unwrapped; if you wanted "real" ear buds, you had to buy their $70 premium buds.

A top-tier phone like the Nexus 4, selling at 1/2 the price of a comparable phone, just doesn't include gewgaws and frills like your dad's phone. If you want cheap little OEM earbuds, buy these "premium" buds for yourself for less than the price of a good lunch. Oh, too expensive? Try these cheapos, they'll cost you less than a 7-layer burrito and small soda at Taco Hell.

But please, don't cry like a girl that your $350 Nexus 4 doesn't come with ear buds, or a Express-On changeable cover, or winky-blinky key fob, or lanyard loop to hang if off your backpack. You're buying a phone, and at an incredible thin-as-Saran-Wrap profit margin. Asking for any extras is equivalent to asking for a pony.

Im in general agreement with the sentiment expressed by ChromeJob.

As a 5-year user of iOS devices, (who secured a new N4 and is now eagerly ready to try Android) I don't so much care that the phone doesn't come bundled with headphones. Apple earbuds came bundled...but were of mediocre quality. What I *do* want is headphones compatible with the major features the N4 offers. So If I have to by a 3rd party pair of buds, can I be confident that a double-tap on the inline mic will pause music across streaming apps? Will the same double tap hang up a phone call? Do I have to worry about this kind of compatibility depending on the headphone manufacturer? Maybe the answer to this is an obvious "yes" but like I said, I'm new to Android.

I could care less whether the earbuds come with the phone. Don't mind picking up a pair after-market. What *do* I care about is how much of a hassle it's going to be (if any) to get consistent functionality from 3rd party headphone manufacturers. Despite their barely passable quality, iOS earbuds "just work" with the system. No muss, no fuss.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

its fascinating to me how people like this get so worked up over a question asked out of sheer curiosity. Speaking only for myself, I was wondering what the reason was when some phones have them added to the package while others don't, especially when so allegedly cheap; who's "crying like a girl", exactly? Seems like you are extremely defensive and whiny yourself. Not all of us are so wise as to understand the economics of this business as you are!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Wait... You're saying it doesn't come with a pony? Waaaaahhhh!!! :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Best reply I've read in a while!

Side note, I have a set of beats headphones from a rezound, I like em.
Thankyousir!.... I have some Bose IEMs I got free from my credit card rewards, a SoundID 510 my gf gave me, and a $10 Jlab J3MS that works champion. All better than free in the box crap-buds.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Im in general agreement with the sentiment expressed by ChromeJob.

As a 5-year user of iOS devices, (who secured a new N4 and is now eagerly ready to try Android) I don't so much care that the phone doesn't come bundled with headphones. Apple earbuds came bundled...but were of mediocre quality. What I *do* want is headphones compatible with the major features the N4 offers. So If I have to by a 3rd party pair of buds, can I be confident that a double-tap on the inline mic will pause music across streaming apps? Will the same double tap hang up a phone call? Do I have to worry about this kind of compatibility depending on the headphone manufacturer? Maybe the answer to this is an obvious "yes" but like I said, I'm new to Android.

I could care less whether the earbuds come with the phone. Don't mind picking up a pair after-market. What *do* I care about is how much of a hassle it's going to be (if any) to get consistent functionality from 3rd party headphone manufacturers. Despite their barely passable quality, iOS earbuds "just work" with the system. No muss, no fuss.

There's an app called Headset Control IIRC, does anything you want, and more. Unlike that other phone (?), you can customize the bejeezus out of your headset controls on Android. "Somebody say 'Amen...'"

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
its fascinating to me how people like this get so worked up over a question asked out of sheer curiosity. Speaking only for myself, I was wondering what the reason was when some phones have them added to the package while others don't, especially when so allegedly cheap; who's "crying like a girl", exactly? Seems like you are extremely defensive and whiny yourself. Not all of us are so wise as to understand the economics of this business as you are!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry, wasnt fair to rope you in with the other emo posts. I too miss the days when Nokia threw in accessories, but considering the complexity and value of today's phones (really, they're small computers), I accept that you get the phone and not much else.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I got my cheap pair of Arctic sound stereo bluetooth headphones that works well with my vivid, as long as they sync up to the 4 I don't really care what headphones they come with. I can't deal with wires, I've tried everything, but in my physical job one way or another I still find a way to yank the cord

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
There's an app called Headset Control IIRC, does anything you want, and more. Unlike that other phone (?), you can customize the bejeezus out of your headset controls on Android. "Somebody say 'Amen...'"

I got an agnostic amen for that. Thanks for the app suggestion :)

Jagadeesh Polepalli

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried with my Samsung Galaxy S3 headphones. I even tried with other couple of head phones. Voice is not audible.I think none of them is compatible. Wondering if we need to look in for specific headphones for nexus4..

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Takes a standard, 3.5mm, smartphone headset so far's I know. Either you have a defective unit, or you're doing something incorrect (not inserting it all the way)?

Last edited:

HeyBob

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a set of the Apple EarPods. The sounds is great (great for earpods that is), mic works well, and the center button (play/pause/answer/end) works..... BUT the volume up and down rocker on the cord do not work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar