SlimPort Adapters for the Nexus 4

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
so it looks like that, just like MHL, you have to keep the screen on when using this? ':-\

it's nice to be able to use Slimport without being plugged into a power source, which you couldn't do with MHL. however, without being able to turn off the screen the battery will drain far too rapidly to take full advantage of this feature.

does anyone know if miracast requires the N4 screen to be on as well? if it doesn't i think i know which connective technology i'll be investing in (miracast).

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
has anyone used a slimport with their Nexus 4?

the price in the UK was 19.95 pounds but it just got jacked up to 24 pounds for some reason (it's still $30 in the U.S.).

i also emailed the company to confirm whether the screen had to be on while it was in use and never heard back.

hmm...

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Wait... what? Your gonna hang this huge dongle from your Nexus' micro-USB, connect an HDMI cable to it and then game with it?

I don't see your phone's port lasting very long unless you woof up some kind of mount/bracket with a good strain relief (not only for your phone's port, but for the HDMI connection as well due to their notorious nature of breaking down under almost any kind of stress).

Hate to be a downer but I am just looking out for your phone.

PS3 controller says "Hi!"

I should have been more specific. I plan to use it for "hardcore" Android games and emulators. Casual stuff will not be leaving the small screen.

I saw an app on XDA that looks handy for someone that has either a MHL or a SlimPort adapter. I was a little bummed to learn the screen had to be on to mirror through the SlimPort. An app called Screen Standby solves this problem. It turns off the screen while keeping the phone from going to sleep. It requires root and its free.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.nkahoang.screenstandby&token=9aJNMAwW

Last edited:

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i ordered it, should be here by Friday. i'll provide a non-gaming review (audio and video is what I plan to use it for).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown