Something to consider before buying a Qi charger

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Anything in there about radiation? Of course all thing electrical emit radiation, but I would be interested in what a wireless changer is equivalent to....

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand all the interest in wireless charging in the first place. My wife has a charging dock/cradle for her Soney S tablet and she just sets her tab in it and it charges. Now when she sets it in her dock/cradle the conector lines up with the pins in her tab and she is connected via wires and charging. Now as I understand it with wireless charging you place your phone onto a wireless charging device that is plugged into power via a wire and you have to place the phone in the proper place to get it to work. So what is the difference? Does anyone really feel that it is that much easier to place a phone onto a wireless charger than (like I do for my GNote10 and HTC Flyer) setting my tab into a third party stand and plugging in the charging cord into the top of the tab? This is ment to be a serious question.

James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a wireless charger that should be coming in today. I constantly plug and unplug my phone for charging. With a wireless charger I will be able to just set my phone down and then pick it up when I need it and not have to worry about plugging it in. Honestly, there isn't much of a difference between this and a docking station, however, I have not yet found a dock for the N4. If anyone knows where I could get one I'd be interested. Since I need a second power source for at home.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Why not use something like this....
Amazon.com: Cellet Clear Phone Stand: Cell Phones & Accessories
and set the Nexus 4 upside down then you just plug it in on the top to charge quite easy.

Lol, are you kidding?

What's the point of that? You might as well just fold up some cardboard or lean your phone against something.

As far as charging docks go, they are better than fiddling with a cord but are inferior to a wireless charger. Why would you want something that will only work with one specific device? You have to buy a new one everytime you upgrade. You also limit yourself to no case or bumper options. USB ports do wear out or break and the more you plug into it the more you risk damaging it.

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
It is tech without a purpose... at least in its current config. You're right that the end result is no different then a wired dock with pins, but it is a buzz word (like 1080p) that sells phones to those that don't know any better.

Going to have to disagree with you. I had a touchpad for a while and the inductive stand was awesome. If I could something equivalent for my N4 I'd be happy. The purpose is convenience (sure, it may only save a few seconds), less clutter (stand looks better than a loose cable laying around) and reducing/eliminating wear on the micro USB port of the phone. I didn't buy the phone for the wireless charging, but it is definitely something I'll appreciate.

iam_robj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that for wireless charging you just set the phone on the charger and it doesn't need to be in a special position or anything..

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how this is better than the dock for my Nexus One. Just set the phone into it and the pogo pins connect, sound plays, and it goes to clock screen. Even has Bluetooth built into it. Remove it and it goes to lock screen.

What advantage does a Qi charger have over this?

Inductive charging is less efficient than a wired connection. The current technology's main advantage is that it can be used on sealed electronics such as an underwater flashlite, dive computer, or electronic toothbrush, but on a phone that is in no way sealed, it is unnecessary.

Some people want the convenience of a dock while still being able to use a case.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is just an FYI, I am anxiously awaiting my Nexus 4...when it ships in 3 weeks, lol.

Wireless charging standard Qi fights Google, Starbucks, compatibility hiccups | The Verge

here's the key paragraph from the Verge article:

Interestingly, Google doesn't display the Qi certification logo anywhere on the Nexus 4's packaging ? perhaps a sign that it is already prepared to move on to PMA regardless of Qi's uptake. Starbucks certainly is. We don't yet know which of these standards will be the Blu-ray and which will be the HD-DVD, but in the meantime, customers are going to be voting with their dollars. Only an airtight standard is going to survive.​

in other words, just as it appears Google is abandoning Miracast before it's even got off the ground it may also be abandoning Qi in the not too distant future.

Google wants to take on Apple with an open AirPlay alternative — Online Video News

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how this is better than the dock for my Nexus One. Just set the phone into it and the pogo pins connect, sound plays, and it goes to clock screen. Even has Bluetooth built into it. Remove it and it goes to lock screen.

What advantage does a Qi charger have over this?

Inductive charging is less efficient than a wired connection. The current technology's main advantage is that it can be used on sealed electronics such as an underwater flashlite, dive computer, or electronic toothbrush, but on a phone that is in no way sealed, it is unnecessary.

Nexus one use pogo ? I'd be equally happy with that solution too. Only real difference is you have to pay slightly more attention to alignment with pogo. There's also that whole case thing getting in the way of other types of charging. No one is going to twist your arm to use this tech, so if you prefer the plug, go right ahead with it ;)

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I'll prob end up with the Google wireless charger as there is no other dock option, but not all that happy about it as I find it all a bit silly (of course that assumes that it ever ships - still waiting for the pogo dock for the N7).

Considering the sheer volume of devices being sold, it'd be stupid for Google to not ship. Hopefully you are happy with whatever the market provides. I would like a stand for my N7 too but with my current case it may be an issue

DracheMitch

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Universal charging, as opposed to a seperate dock/charger for every device. Coupled with NFC, it enables things like setting your phone on a speaker and having it both charge the device and play-through.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech