What is the best case for the N4?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm ideally looking for something similar to the Otterbox Defender.

Post links if you can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Best bet for anything of the sort is an ionic Guardian from Amazon, Google/LG didn't send too many of these devices out to manufacturers for them to make cases for them, so really they may be waiting to order a phone first so they can then build a case for it, we are all waiting.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Best bet for anything of the sort is an ionic Guardian from Amazon, Google/LG didn't send too many of these devices out to manufacturers for them to make cases for them, so really they may be waiting to order a phone first so they can then build a case for it, we are all waiting.

Does that case come with a built-in screen protector?

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

RedVagabond

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was looking around on amazon since I was one of the lucky ones today. This will be only my second candy bar phone, as I've had a Pre, and a samsung slider before my current HTC Radar. Are the hard cases actually good at protecting? Or is gel a better way to go? I have found a few, but I'm not sure if they'd actually protect the phone from falls.

Hard case with soft touch plastic - Amazon.com: SF Matte Black - Rearth Ringke SLIM for LG Google Nexus 4 Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case - ECO Package: Cell Phones & Accessories

Soft Gel case - Amazon.com: i-Blason Slim Fit S Line Flexible TPU Case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone E960 LG 8gb 16gb (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
I had one of these for my radar, but i played with it constantly and stretched it out. it also covered the microphone hole on my phone which was super annoying since no one could hear me.

So does anyone know which kind is better at protecting? I'd rather not have a huge monolithic slab that i have to keep in my pants. I'm not prone to dropping, but accidents do happen so I'd like to have a little bit of precaution with it still looking good. Any help would be great :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered this from ebay. $5.33 free shipping. I have this on my gnex and its not fancy but provides nice protection.

KGrHqNHJFIFCNeSyN9OBQtBHeCOJQ60_12.jpg

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got my iBlason TPU case in the mail from Amazon. I got the clear/frosted color and it looks really good, but I just wish the whole thing was completely clear. It adds a good amount of grip on the sides, and some on the back. It doesn't want to slide off every non-level surface now :p. Believe me, once I slapped that case on my N4 I let loose a sigh of relief. I had survived a week without a case without sustaining any cracks/scratches. I would really recommend this case for now, at least until some of the bigger case manufacturers come out with their own cases. Personally i'm longing for a Speck Candyshell for the Nexus 4 :).

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I was looking around on amazon since I was one of the lucky ones today. This will be only my second candy bar phone, as I've had a Pre, and a samsung slider before my current HTC Radar. Are the hard cases actually good at protecting? Or is gel a better way to go? I have found a few, but I'm not sure if they'd actually protect the phone from falls.

Hard case with soft touch plastic - Amazon.com: SF Matte Black - Rearth Ringke SLIM for LG Google Nexus 4 Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case - ECO Package: Cell Phones & Accessories

Soft Gel case - Amazon.com: i-Blason Slim Fit S Line Flexible TPU Case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone E960 LG 8gb 16gb (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
I had one of these for my radar, but i played with it constantly and stretched it out. it also covered the microphone hole on my phone which was super annoying since no one could hear me.

So does anyone know which kind is better at protecting? I'd rather not have a huge monolithic slab that i have to keep in my pants. I'm not prone to dropping, but accidents do happen so I'd like to have a little bit of precaution with it still looking good. Any help would be great :)

Does that first link say that it comes with a screen protector?

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nillkin Hard Case + Screen Protector For Nexus 4 :)
That's a good deal... but for some reason my gut tells me that a hard case might not be the best for the nexus 4. I feel like dust and sand could get sandwiched between the nexus 4 and the case, leaving the back scratched after long use. I guess I would pair the hard case with a protector for the back (ie. XtremeGuard, Zagg Invisible Shield). Also, hard cases don't give much in terms of shock protection, which is a category that the Nexus 4 desperately needs. I think a TPU case is the perfect solution (at least for me). But that case is good looking and should fare well in terms of external scratch protection (just don't drop your Nexus from too high up) :p

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered this from ebay. $5.33 free shipping. I have this on my gnex and its not fancy but provides nice protection.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa409/daveyHI/KGrHqNHJFIFCNeSyN9OBQtBHeCOJQ60_12.jpg

Just received the Kay's case from Amazon. Looks exactly like this (but in black).. I imagine they all get it from the same supplier from China or somewhere. Typical cheap plastic/rubber case, nothing special.. fit's snug enough though. Definitely does not look or feel as nice as the OEM bumper case.. but then again, it does offer backside protection. This case will work fine for the time being until a nicer one comes along.

Personally looking forward to a nice flip case.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Just received the Kay's case from Amazon. Looks exactly like this (but in black).. I imagine they all get it from the same supplier from China or somewhere. Typical cheap plastic/rubber case, nothing special.. fit's snug enough though. Definitely does not look or feel as nice as the OEM bumper case.. but then again, it does offer backside protection. This case will work fine for the time being until a nicer one comes along.

Personally looking forward to a nice flip case.

Probably a dumb question, but does the Kay's cases actually come with their logo on the bottom/back? I assume the different Kay's cases on Amazon that shows this is just their watermark added to the photos, but just making sure! Looks fugly IMO if their logo is on there...LOL

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've used Otterbox Commuter cases on a bunch of my devices and really like that style of case. Went to the Otterbox site and started up a chat session with a customer service person to ask about Nexus 4 cases. Response was that they have no current plans to offer Nexus 4 cases.

Sent from my SGSIII

Corwin Mhael

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 4 last night and I'm freaking out about breaking it. This is my first decent phone, the phone I've been using for the past 2 years was a Samsung Moment (my god was I an idiot for buying that without doing any research) and I dropped that thing about 200 times on every surface imaginable. While a crappy phone, it is fairly indestructible, I finally lost voice calling after 22 months something must have shaken loose. So, being prone to treating my toys like crap, what do you guys think the MOST protective case out there will be, looks being much less important. I kind of like the idea of a folding leather case like this
Amazon.com: Poetic Slimbook Leather Case for Google Nexus 4: Computers & Accessories

thoughts? Thanks

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but does the Kay's cases actually come with their logo on the bottom/back? I assume the different Kay's cases on Amazon that shows this is just their watermark added to the photos, but just making sure! Looks fugly IMO if their logo is on there...LOL

I ordered the Kay's case with the "S" line in the back. It's black one and it has NO logo.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my first decent phone
DECENT phone? You got arguably the best Android phone on the market right now. Haha just messing around with you. But I would recommend the iBlason SoftGel cases. They don't necessarily look amazing or even as cool as the Poetic folio cases, but for the time being it has been a great case for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000