What is the best case for the N4?

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
that aluminum bumper looked pretty interesting...

Which one?

There is this

uploadfromtaptalk1358377791457.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2525526

Which is made out of a single piece of aluminum. It says it has a back plate that is removable so I do not know if it is a bumper without the backplate or not.

And this one.

uploadfromtaptalk1358377821393.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005F...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2525526

Or this, which is like a bumper and a half.

uploadfromtaptalk1358377844410.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2525526

Note: All these links are tainted with tripwires affiliate link. Not that it would change the price for you or that anyone is here to buy an iPhone case anyway. Just puttin' it out there.

Which ever, the next step is to contact the manufacturer and see if they are somewhat interested or have their head up their arse like Otterbox.

Your best bet is if they also make a version for the SGS3, or any other device. If they only make a case for the iPhone then prolly no dice on them doing Nexus 4 as their first android phone but it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
@SOLGarion, I was talking about the red/black one. only $8? customer reviews didnt seem so good though... the one above that is $70 and the rockform is $60? wow i'd never spend that much money on just a case. i would not spend more than $35 on a case but thats just me

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hypothetical question - you drop your n4 and all it has is a bumper case and back screen protector. Would the effect on the back be any different if you had on a regular case (let's assume that both cases are tpu)? Because of the raised lip the bumper adds, the points of impact would only be on the raised surfaces. assume that the surface you drop it on is flat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hypothetical question - you drop your n4 and all it has is a bumper case and back screen protector. Would the effect on the back be any different if you had on a regular case (let's assume that both cases are tpu)? Because of the raised lip the bumper adds, the points of impact would only be on the raised surfaces. assume that the surface you drop it on is flat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not convinced that a bumper will offer much protection, ballistic tell me their sg case ships at the end of the month, I've looked at you tube at many drop tests with the sg case and it holds up spectacular :)

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced that a bumper will offer much protection, ballistic tell me their sg case ships at the end of the month, I've looked at you tube at many drop tests with the sg case and it holds up spectacular :)

i used to think the same thing but when i dropped my nexus from pretty high up (dont ask lol) face down on a table and saw that there was absolutely no damage at all to the front because of that raised lip, i started to change my opinion about bumpers. tbh i hate covering the beautiful back of the n4 but at the same time it doesnt seem practical to leave it naked. bumper seems to offer a balance between protection and aesthetics, i just wanna see what more people will say to my above post before i make my decision.

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same frame of mind until I saw a damaged back nexus 4 for sale on eBay in America and I messaged the. Man how it happened as he was selling it with a bumper. He told me it was in his pocket and his leg pushed into his bed post. He said he had a cheap back hard cover and was sure if he had it on the phone would not have smashed. Saw a you tube video of a nexus apart and the back glass looks like a thin layer on some plastic so I think it may not be gorilla glass although the front is. Saying that gorilla glass is strong to scratches not impact. I'm getting a ballistic sg and keeping it face down while in my pocket (hoping there is no sand, quartz or diamonds in my pocket that will scratch the front lol)
As in everything though it's all a personal choice ;-)

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the OEM bumper and it didn't give me any peace of mind at all for protecting the back glass. I used it about a week before getting an Atmosphere case. The bumper has been back in its' box ever since and will stay there. The Atmosphere is a bit slippery and kinda ugly, but I don't worry about shattering the back glass anymore. I am also keeping an eye on the Ballistic SG page and will order one as soon as they offer it.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the OEM bumper and it didn't give me any peace of mind at all for protecting the back glass. I used it about a week before getting an Atmosphere case. The bumper has been back in its' box ever since and will stay there. The Atmosphere is a bit slippery and kinda ugly, but I don't worry about shattering the back glass anymore. I am also keeping an eye on the Ballistic SG page and will order one as soon as they offer it.

sell me your bumper lol

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish I lived in the usa, I'm constantly looking at cases for my N4 and have it in a temporary flip wallet pu case, also ordered another armour style case with a kick stand which should hopefully be here any day and tide me over till the ballistic sg is shipping. Now I find this on the usa ebay site. Very nice :) if I hadn't set my mind on ballistic I would be ordering this also! http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400395291588&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=43438129099

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wish I lived in the usa, I'm constantly looking at cases for my N4 and have it in a temporary flip wallet pu case, also ordered another armour style case with a kick stand which should hopefully be here any day and tide me over till the ballistic sg is shipping. Now I find this on the usa ebay site. Very nice :) if I hadn't set my mind on ballistic I would be ordering this also! LG Nexus 4 Google Phone E960 T Armor Hybrid Case Skin Cover White Black | eBay

you can probably guess what im thinking about that case lol :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I bet he's thinking it is awesome protection but too thick for his tastes. Am I right Bob?

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
So this is the case I've ordered to tide me over but it looks better than I thought as I didn't realise it snapped on in 2 parts, then the rubber goes on. But this has me thinking. Most dual armour cases have silicone on the inside and plastic on the outside however this case has the opposite being a plastic case next to the phone and rubber on The outside, what do you guys think about it advantages v disadvantages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmH1EFnhHs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci