Impact Technology (bumper)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is not yet a case for the Nexus 4 though but this is something that can be used as a bumper for your phones. It is somewhat expensive but it uses this type of goo that gets stronger when hit harder but is very malleable if you do it softly (this isn't the only material, I heard about this from another but I forgot the name so it's pretty legit).
Well I just discovered this and I felt like I should share it if someone wants another type of bumper that you would want.
Well just watch the video. (The code doesn't work btw)
Tech 21 Impactology | iPhone Cases, Samsung Cases, Mobile Cases | Impact Protection

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the component material is the same stuff as sold in 'loose' form as 'Smart Mass' over at thinkgeek.com. Very cool stuff - available in a number of different colors, as well as a magnetic, glow-in-the-dark, and heat-sensitive (color changes with temperature) format.

thinking-putty.jpg

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the component material is the same stuff as sold in 'loose' form as 'Smart Mass' over at thinkgeek.com. Very cool stuff - available in a number of different colors, as well as a magnetic, glow-in-the-dark, and heat-sensitive (color changes with temperature) format.

http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/frontsquare/thinking-putty.jpg

Neat, not sure if it's good to put directly on the phone though. I could buy that and then stuff it in my case (if there is room or maybe on top of the case (not that smart) to add protection)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Neat, not sure if it's good to put directly on the phone though. I could buy that and then stuff it in my case (if there is room or maybe on top of the case (not that smart) to add protection)

Definitely not directly on the phone or lining a case without something to keep it in place - it's very soft stuff. Soft to the point that if you hold a handful of it upside down it would eventually flow downward and drip! The only way it would work with a casing would be to have it in some form of sealed tubing within the case, as is what appears to have been the method Impact implemented.

But... you can tear it, rip it, bounce it, drip it, shatter it... really amazing material!

Edit: had to laugh when I saw your post abbreviating the image link from "/frontsquare/thinking-putty.jpg" to "/f...king-putty.jpg"

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not directly on the phone or lining a case without something to keep it in place - it's very soft stuff. Soft to the point that if you hold a handful of it upside down it would eventually flow downward and drip! The only way it would work with a casing would be to have it in some form of sealed tubing within the case, as is what appears to have been the method Impact implemented.

But... you can tear it, rip it, bounce it, drip it, shatter it... really amazing material!

Edit: had to laugh when I saw your post abbreviating the image link from "/frontsquare/thinking-putty.jpg" to "/f...king-putty.jpg"

Well I mean the lack of the space in the case will keep it in place? Who knows I'll search around because I'm not even sure if that is smart or anything and yeah I read the article, sounds amazing... Ahh... technology... it's an amazing thing. and yeah I see that now, that's hilarious XD

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I mean the lack of the space in the case will keep it in place? Who knows I'll search around because I'm not even sure if that is smart or anything and yeah I read the article, sounds amazing... Ahh... technology... it's an amazing thing. and yeah I see that now, that's hilarious XD

Trust me, I have some of the 'smart mass,' and you wouldn't want to try it... Even in a soft grip, it would flex and move around, slowly squeezing out and going where you don't want it to be. Also, it can be a little adherent to plastics, and I suspect that it might, when pulled from the body, affect the finish of the sides of the phone.

The shock absorption is really impressive. I don't know how well such a thin layer of it would translate when sealed within a phone casing, but I have no doubt it would be much more effective than a standard TPU case.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I have some of the 'smart mass,' and you wouldn't want to try it... Even in a soft grip, it would flex and move around, slowly squeezing out and going where you don't want it to be. Also, it can be a little adherent to plastics, and I suspect that it might, when pulled from the body, affect the finish of the sides of the phone.

The shock absorption is really impressive. I don't know how well such a thin layer of it would translate when sealed within a phone casing, but I have no doubt it would be much more effective than a standard TPU case.

True enough, I guessed that. The shock absorption DOES look impressive, technology is amazing (I said that already didn't I)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173