N4 Wireless charger disaster

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I was pretty excited to get my wireless orb, two nights I have it now, well something is really wrong with it.
  • Both mornings my phone was on the floor, there's no cover or protection on my phone, but after 20 minutes it starts sliding down then ends up falling
  • I got woken up at night because the screen went on by itself, I looked at the battery icon, the phone was well in place on the orb but the small lightning icon was on and off, like I was plugin and un-plugin the cable
  • The phone started opening apps, I was staring at it for a while, all of the sudden, the clock screen opens up then the Facebook app opens up too by itself!
  • Extremely slow charging, if you use the phone at the same as it's charging, it actually drains more battery but what it's actually charging

I don't know what to think of it, maybe my orb has a problem bht if I get a new one, the sliding thing won't get fixed, I really do'nt get it, didn't they test it before, don't they know that their phone is like a soap bar?
Is anyone having the same issues?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I dont get why your phone is "sliding off". My Nexus 4 doesnt move one bit. In fact when I grab it off the orb I have to give it a bit of a shake to detach.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had that issue but have read of a few others who have. It must be defective units.

paral3ellum

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had the falling off issue, or any random application activity. It seems to charge pretty quick to me, about an hour or so longer than plugged directly in. I do have to almost shake my phone loose to get it off the charger and i can even pick up the charger with my phone, so it's hard to imagine how yours is falling off.

My screen does turn off after some amount of time. I have it setup to go into the clock daydream when it's charging or docked but my screen will just turn off after a while; not sure whats going on with that.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
1. Make sure the orbs adhesive face is clean and clear of dust and dirt.

2. Restart your Nexus 4.

3. Check your settings making sure that things that drain a ton of battery are off like Miracast and Hotspot.

4. Wipe down the back of your phone with a clean cloth to make sure there is no oily buildup, gak and/or dust/dirt.

IMPORTANT: USE ONLY THE INCLUDED USB CORD & AC ADAPTER!! Use of anything else may cause damage to your phone, the charger or may not properly charge!

5. Place your Nexus 4 firmly on the Orb. Make sure you are placing the phone so that the bottom is NOT touching the table but hovering about a 1/3 of an inch above it.

(See user guide, tons of photos and videos online for placement reference.)

You shouldn't have a problem if you follow the outlined steps. If you do continue to experience slippage or charging problems, contact Google. You might have a lemon.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I cleaned the back of my phone, cleaned the orb (it was clean already), put the phone perfectly on it, set up a video camera and it took about 16 minutes to slide off of the orb... I guess I'll be returning it or maybe my phone is too heavy hehe

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow still it slides? :eek:

Mine never moves. I leave it for 8+ hours overnight and it doesn't budge.

If you cleaned it like you said and are placing it properly on the Orb yet still have slippage, definitely RMA it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is starting to slide off now also. I'll follow the steps listed above to see if that helps. I hope this doesn't become a issue.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is starting to slide off now also. I'll follow the steps listed above to see if that helps. I hope this doesn't become a issue.

Cleaning the phone and charger did the trick for me, it works fine now.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine definitely slides. It was delivered todIay and I haven't been able to get it to stay on for more than 10 minutes. I tried removing the bumper and cleaning both the phone and the charger with no luck. I don't feel any real attraction between the charger and the phone, just the resistance from the rubber ring. Do you guys feel the phone snap into place on the Orb? I know my Zens Qi mat does.

Already contacted Google support and they're going to try replacing the Orb. We'll see if the replacement does any better.

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Actually min was able to stay on all night now, instead of just posing the phone on the orb I actually have to press it on it kind of like the orb was a suction cup and it stayed!
We'll see if it stays again tonight or it was just luck because the rubber ring is still new. I don't know I have the feeling that this thing in a year or so wont work anymore...

GeezingInVA

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this may sound obvious, but does everyone realize there's a very tightly-clad clear static-cling sheet that needs to be peeled off both the front and back of the Nexus 4, as well as on the mating surface of the charging orb? I had my N4 for days before I realized there was a plastic sheet that I hadn't peeled off the back of the phone. If you can see an IMEI printed on the back of your N4, then you haven't removed the static-cling sheet. (The IMEI is printed on the clear sheet, not on the back cover of the N4). If the rear clear sheet is still there, then that might account for some of the slipperiness between the N4 and the orb. Just a thought. Cheers! :cool:

Update: My N4 began slipping off my orb a week after I started using it. When I read here and in other forums how many others were having this same issue, I called Google and they're sending a replacement since I've had my orb less than 15 days. If the replacement has the same problem, then I'll try to return the second orb for a refund, and watch for something else more appropriate to come along. Frustrating.

Last edited:

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I know this may sound obvious, but does everyone realize there's a very tightly-clad clear static-cling sheet that needs to be peeled off both the front and back of the Nexus 4, as well as on the mating surface of the charging orb? I had my N4 for days before I realized there was a plastic sheet that I hadn't peeled off the back of the phone. If you can see an IMEI printed on the back of your N4, then you haven't removed the static-cling sheet. (The IMEI is printed on the clear sheet, not on the back cover of the N4). If the rear clear sheet is still there, then that might account for some of the slipperiness between the N4 and the orb. Just a thought. Cheers! :cool:

Clear sheet was off. Glass is pretty slippery stuff in it's own right. :)

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Well good news, it's been 3 days, and the phone never slid off the orb since I press the phone onto the orb before going to bed. Hopefully it stays that way.
So I considered this case SOLVED... for now...
@SOLGarion funny pic lol

Insight Spinner

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad that worked for you. I'm combing the forums and found this post and some videos of the issues.

Just got my N4 yesterday with orb, its sliding like a toddler at an ice rink. I got a fugly case fromT-mo when I went to get my micro sim and orb holds that tacky thing like a champ and charges pretty quickly, too. I'm going to try pressing the bare phone--yes, plastic backing is off -- my house is dusty, so I've cleaned the rings multiple times during the night each time I found the phone "slumped" down onto the table. Connection (lighting bolt) goes on and off but no weird app happenings. Haven't tried Daydreams yet. still trying to get the thing fully charged, which it's almost done in the hour I've been truly awake (with ugly case on back only). Unbelieveable there is no routine charge indicator light. Google!!!! Always just a teaser away from perfection!

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My phone literally STICKS to the Orb, somehow. It's darned grippy. When I remove it there's a small suction release sound.

I love wireless charging. I know people complain it's not really wirelessly, but it's so mindless to just set it down on the charger. My phone is always charged and ready to go each day!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon