Before you decide to plunk down for the wireless charging orb, watch this ...

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine hasn't slipped a mm for a couple weeks now since I got it. Must be some lemons out there. At least you can RMA for replacement is you got a bad one!

RodLS

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, do you use a protector on the rear glass? I have a Spigen Steinheil on my back glass it has never moved in the time I've had it. The phone is stuck to the charger, it can support the weight of the phone when I hold it upside down.

nailPuppy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine hasn't slipped at all. When I take the phone off the orb I can see imprints in the soft rubber circles of the charger from where it really digs into my case and gets a good grip.

ghBy9It.jpg

edit: Better pic showing the little circles where it grips.

gdMGT79.jpg

edit: Tried phone on the orb with no case, just the glass black. Slid right off after about 5mins.

Last edited:

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my orb.
No slippage for me (yet).
Although I don't leave it on the orb for hours and hours.

Maybe I should upload a exciting video of my N4 not moving.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Even the mighty Phil said in last pod cast his phone slipped over night.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

JPEGONE

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 10 dollar dBrand vinyl skin on mine, and havent had any problems with slipping. It comes in all different colors including black AND white carbon fiber and Brushed titanium.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My theory is it's all about grease. It all depends on how greasy you get the back of your phone from handling it. It can vary person to person.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My theory is it's all about grease. It all depends on how greasy you get the back of your phone from handling it. It can vary person to person.

I windexed the ship out of both the phone and the orb and it adhered for less than 3 minutes. Dirt and grease may be a factor for some cases, but I really believe there's a significant percentage of orbs that are defective.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI: I put some Ghost Armor on the back of my phone, and it has helped solve the slip 'n slide issues. Charger seems to only do anything though when it wants to. If I put it on the charger and it's anything about 90%, it ain't charging most of the time. Usually when it does charge, it'll get up to about 96%+ and stop, even though the phone hasn't appeared to move. Still, it's better than where it was before :p

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I've been using three charging orbs with four different Nexus 4's and haven't experienced this sliding issue even once. No cases, no protectors, nothing like that. Completely naked. :)

That case is nice, too.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You can't just set it on there. You have to push it on, been working fine for me. That's with the Ringke Fusion case.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

philippe frechette

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I receive my orb yesterday and I did not read the forums before purchasing. I put my nexus 4 on the orb, on top of a 4' shelf before going to bed yesterday and I woke up this morning with the phone on the floor, I am lucky that the glass did not break, only a few scuff. I can't beleive that google would put such a bad product on the market, If my phone would have break, I would sue them as we have a very good customer protection system here in Quebec.

I have fix the slipping orb for about 50cent and it now hold the phone pretty well. I had some sticky silicone pads left over from a previous purchase on ebay, I paid something like 5$ for 12 pads. I applied a new pad to the top of the orb and cut the leftover all around. It look like it's factory made, it hold the phone very well and does not seems to change the charging time.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Too bad Google doesn't allow reviews on hardware products in the Play store. Then I could give this POS the 1-star rating it deserves. I cleaned mine with a warm cloth; I think that helped for about an hour.

This thread should be stickied in order to warn others to stay far away.

Here's a few more:

So what. It still charges, even with the phone resting on the desk. Actually its easier for me to tap and use the phone with it lower on the charger.

I like the charger enough I'm now shopping for more, but not from Google (can't use Play credit on devices, which isn't disclosed clearly).

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia