LG WCP-300 Wireless Charger Review

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Before its release, Google's official wireless charger was considered a must-have accessary for Nexus 4 owners. It finally became available, but the "Orb" was widely criticized for its sticky surface, light weight, and fairly high price for what it is. After reading many accounts, like this one, I searched elsewhere for a better solution. For me, the LG WCP-300 is that solution.

WCP01.jpg

Less than 7cm in diameter, LG advertises it as the world's smallest wireless charger. This tiny footprint makes it extremely easy to travel with. The only downside that I can see with a charger this size is that it presents a greater risk of your phone getting knocked off the charger if bumped. It uses a micro USB input to get power, so you don't need to carry around extra cables. Although the US version includes a power adapter and USB cable, it will work with the Nexus 4's charger. The USB output on your PC or car's DC outlet may not provide enough current for this charger. It's been hit or miss with me, so your mileage may vary.

WCP03.jpg

The fact the WCP-300 lays flat is a big plus in my book. I can just set the phone down and be confident that it won't slide off overnight. Just make sure the charger is on a level surface, of course. An LED starts to blink once your Qi-compatible device is placed on top, indicating that it's charging properly. It's charging area is pretty forgiving and you can place it in any orientation, since it's circular. An added bonus is that it lifts the N4's speaker off the surface, so notifications are easier to hear.

WCP02.jpg

All in all, I highly recommend this charger to anyone who wants a reliable, inexpensive, and smaller alternative to most of the other Qi chargers available now. It's available globally, but customers in the US can pick one up from Verizon Wireless for $39.99.

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Lucky bugger! I was looking at these but the resale online were about the 70-100 mark depending on where i looked.
Looks like a beautiful piece.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Lucky bugger! I was looking at these but the resale online were about the 70-100 mark depending on where i looked.
Looks like a beautiful piece.

Check Verizon. They website just started carrying them within the last week for $40 with free shipping. The local Verizon corporate store had three on the rack yesterday when I stopped in ( although they were new enough nobody knew about them). The US version includes a cable and charger, unlike some of the imports.

I've been playing with it for about a day now. Pretty well made, and I'm much more impressed with it than the Nexus 4 Orb I previously purchased.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I do have a couple questions:
-Does it beep when you lay the phone down on it?
-Does it trickle charge?
-How bright is the LED? (I'm looking for something for the nightstand for the wife.)

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, just placed an order for one online at VZW.com and with 25% discount it was $29.99. I'm returning the Nokia I bought last Friday that my son's N4 didn't like too much. While I'm there, I may pick up another one for a 2nd spot to charge his phone and any future Qi phones we get.

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I do have a couple questions:
-Does it beep when you lay the phone down on it?
-Does it trickle charge?
-How bright is the LED? (I'm looking for something for the nightstand for the wife.)

- It doesn't beep at all. Completely silent.
- Yes, it does trickle charge. Once the battery reaches 100%, it continuously tops off until you remove it.
- The LED is bright, but only noticeable if pointed at you. If it's on a nightstand, I assume it will be facing away from your wife.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The fact that it trickle charges is pretty big. From what I have read none of the other "cheap Chinese" QI chargers do that.

Thanks again for the info!

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out that this is available for order! Just ordered one, so disappointed in the Orb. I've had two now and on both of them my phone falls off.

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have a problem charging with a case on the phone with this charger?
I have the Ringke slim case and it charges with it on but constantly loses connectivity.
I also have the Poetic borderline bumper and with that on one it doesn't seem to make clean contact with the charger, making charging hit and miss.
With both cases the green light will be flashing (charging) and then suddenly the amber light will be on.
It also seems as though the charger will only work with the lower half of the phone on the charger.
I really like the size of the charger and convenience of being able to just put the phone on it but I have to make sure it's placed just right and babysit it to make sure it's charging.

Last edited:

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
It also seems as though the charger will only work with the lower half of the phone on the charger.

The inductive charging coil in the phone is centered between the nexus and LG logos. You get optimal inductive current when that is centered with the charging coil in the pad. If you initially center the phone on the charger, you will need to move it up about a half inch for the charging circuitry to be centered.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a problem charging with a case on the phone with this charger?
I have the Ringke slim case and it charges with it on but constantly loses connectivity.
I also have the Poetic borderline bumper and with that on one it doesn't seem to make clean contact with the charger, making charging hit and miss.
With both cases the green light will be flashing (charging) and then suddenly the amber light will be on.
I really like the size of the charger and convenience of being able to just put the phone on it but I have to make sure it's placed just right and babysit it to make sure it's charging.

I have an otterbox on my S3, and this works great! Wish i could get that 25% off, but after needing a 2nd one for my wife, Verizon does have this for the cheapest anywhere. Even online. And for only $40 it is by far the best bang for your buck wireless charger out there right now. It works great! It's tiny! It's silent! And It has a nice magentization while it's charging too, so it holds your phone in place nicely.

onedollarinmywallet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I received mine last week and overall, I like it.

Some observations:

1. I noticed that while charging through my S-Line case, the temperature on the battery does get pretty warm--up to as high as 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I assume that's normal?
2. The N4 doesn't always seem to make a notification sound when you place the phone on the charger; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
3. Typical charging times seem to be about 3-4 hours from an empty/drained battery. For those of you who have one, is that what you're seeing as well?

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
1. I noticed that while charging through my S-Line case, the temperature on the battery does get pretty warm--up to as high as 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I assume that's normal?
2. The N4 doesn't always seem to make a notification sound when you place the phone on the charger; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
3. Typical charging times seem to be about 3-4 hours from an empty/drained battery. For those of you who have one, is that what you're seeing as well?

1. It's normal for the phone to get warm while charging, but it will cool down once it's at 100%.
2. I've noticed this as well. I belive it's more of a software issue than anything.
3. Your charging time is also consistent with what I've observed.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I just pulled the trigger on one of these. Got it for $32ish with a 25% discount. I already have a POWERQI I got off ebay for like $31 (for the wife). Now I can compare the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair