How to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 4

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've used Android for a while but never rooted and really the main reason I'm considering it is to do full backups including app data. I think this is one of Android's main deficiencies anyone should be able to backup their phone without being rooted.

The fact that unlocking it "may" void your warranty sounds like it doesn't otherwise it would say "does"?

I have an app whose terms and conditions state that I shouldn't be rooted (not sure if it checks). The next step is probably to root after unlocking the boot loader, can the rooting be temporary applied (and if so easily) so I can keep the app happy :)

Thanks for any info.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've used Android for a while but never rooted and really the main reason I'm considering it is to do full backups including app data. I think this is one of Android's main deficiencies anyone should be able to backup their phone without being rooted.

The fact that unlocking it "may" void your warranty sounds like it doesn't otherwise it would say "does"?

I have an app whose terms and conditions state that I shouldn't be rooted (not sure if it checks). The next step is probably to root after unlocking the boot loader, can the rooting be temporary applied (and if so easily) so I can keep the app happy :)

Thanks for any info.

If you think you ever might want to tinker.. then it is recommended you unlock as soon as you get the phone, because as you noted it wipes everything. Once that is done you do not have to root right away. When you choose to it will be easy and won't wipe anything, and while you remain stock with the bootloader unlocked all of your apps should function completely as normal, you will even receive OTA updates without a problem (and they will not relock the bootloader).

As for the warranty.. In most cases you'll find the language states that unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting will render your warranty "voidable", not void. Meaning the warranty provider (carrier, OEM, Google, whoever) would have the option to void it, but it doesn't mean they definitely will, and in many cases you'll find they won't void it if you need a replacement device because of a genuine hardware issue, although I can't guarantee it. Also worth noting that as a Nexus device, this phone will be very easy to restore the factory images to and relock the bootloader if you ever need, which would essentially make it pretty much impossible to determine it had ever been unlocked and rooted in the first place.

:)

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Once you unlock the bootloader, and root the phone will an OTA update relock the bootloader and remove root?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Once you unlock the bootloader, and root the phone will an OTA update relock the bootloader and remove root?

OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though. This can be prevented by installing and using OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store beforehand ; but if you forget, rooting the phone again after the OTA will be just as easy as the first time, just flashing the superuser.zip file.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though. This can be prevented by installing and using OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store beforehand ; but if you forget, rooting the phone again after the OTA will be just as easy as the first time, just flashing the superuser.zip file.

Thanks. Are there root instructions for the phone yet?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Are there root instructions for the phone yet?

We're going to write the guides up and have them ready for launch :)

If you would like to get a heads up, unlocking and rooting will be done almost exactly the same way as done on the Galaxy Nexus (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ock-bootloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html) and Nexus 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...-pc-linux-how-unlock-root-flash-recovery.html).

Really the only difference I presume will be that you'll need to install some LG drivers for windows/mac. A linux system will need no other preparation that I'm aware of. Again, we'll have full guides and links to any files you need ready next week :)

AngryNil

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though.
OTAs will not work if any changes to the system files have been made though, right? I'm curious as to what qualifies as such a change - would Titanium Backup, Adblock Plus, LMT Launcher or GMD GestureControl affect the ability to update OTA?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not in and of themselves.. But if for example you used TiBu to freeze or remove apps it probably would affect it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Can the google search on the home screen bar be removed without root?

Does the home screens have infinite scrolling?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can the google search on the home screen bar be removed without root?

Does the home screens have infinite scrolling?

Absolutely, just use a 3rd party launcher. I highly recommend Nova: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sw.launcher&feature=nav_result&token=pcGXlpUe
Although Apex is a fine choice as well: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...launcher&feature=search_result&token=FaBxFyO1.

Both are based on the AOSP / stock launcher, so they will look and feel stock to you until you dig into the myriad of customization options they offer. I used Apex for a long time but now prefer Nova, its speed increase options are both subtle and superb, IMO. Definitely something to check out. :)

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, so you have to use a launcher in order to remove the google search bar and to have infinite home screen scrolling?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, so you have to use a launcher in order to remove the google search bar and to have infinite home screen scrolling?

Correct. Give Nova a try and I doubt you'll be disappointed. If for any reason you change your mind you can uninstall it just as easily as anything else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AngryNil

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Is there any way I could hide the soft keys (I am planning to use LMT / GMD as a substitute) without affecting it?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Is there any way I could hide the soft keys (I am planning to use LMT / GMD as a substitute) without affecting it?

Short of coding it yourself, the only way I know of would be running a custom ROM with that option. I know it's an option in AOKP, which I'm sure will be released for the Nexus 4, and perhaps in other ROMs as well.

squadz

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I watched the video, but I'm a little confused. As someone completely new to Android, is there a step-by-step guide? (ie. for dummies)

I've Google'd, and got the Android SDK, and an exe called fastboot. That's about as far as I got so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek