Nexus 4 Roms

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
With notifications toggles and lock screen widgets coming stock, I think I'm going to stay minimal and use Bugless Beast when I get my N4.

Sent from my Nexus 7

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
With notifications toggles and lock screen widgets coming stock, I think I'm going to stay minimal and use Bugless Beast when I get my N4.

Sent from my Nexus 7

For me its aokp or go home since ICS. But bb is a contender for sure.

Thinking about the best way to leave Verizon now ...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

can't decide if it's worth etf or waiting it out until march. i'm gonna save so much money tho.

but it's only a few months. i might just pick up a nexus 4, try out straight talk and tmo for a month each, and then port my number to google voice when my contract runs out.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
can't decide if it's worth etf or waiting it out until march. i'm gonna save so much money tho.

but it's only a few months. i might just pick up a nexus 4, try out straight talk and tmo for a month each, and then port my number to google voice when my contract runs out.

I'm hoping that they give away a nexus at the developer conference next month. :)

Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. It IS better than the iPhone 5.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
So in order to install a new ROM, you need to first unlock the bootloader, with fastboot and the 4.2 SDK for the drivers?

Any other options, I know it was a little different with the Galaxy Note I had, but plenty of videos on youtube for installing ROMs for that phone because it had been out for about 6 months already.

I may have to wait until we do have some interesting ROMs out and videos before I attempt such a feat.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So in order to install a new ROM, you need to first unlock the bootloader, with fastboot and the 4.2 SDK for the drivers?

Any other options, I know it was a little different with the Galaxy Note I had, but plenty of videos on youtube for installing ROMs for that phone because it had been out for about 6 months already.

I may have to wait until we do have some interesting ROMs out and videos before I attempt such a feat.

To flash a rom you need an unlocked boot loader and custom recovery.

Since unlocking the boot loader wipes everything, including internal SD card, i would suggest unlocking the bootloader asap bc its super easy and painless, and you won't lose anything if you do it right away.
Plus, relocking if you decide to doesn't wipe anything.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Definitely unlocking the boot loader is what I intend on doing before any custom ROMs that may come up.

unlocking is pretty much the first thing i'll do out the box. but i'll probably flash custom recovery and rom it shortly thereafter. 4.2 may not be such a big jump to cause much disruption in the transition for the roms that are currently available with 4.1.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh hello soon-to-be new home :)

As Zero was saying.. unlocking is something to do pretty much right away, before you even set up the phone because it will wipe everything, including the internal sd. After that you can stay stock, heck you don't even have to root right away if you don't want to. Doing it later won't wipe anything as long as you unlocked the bootloader early :)

I myself am probably going to try stock for a bit, but I'm rooting off the bat so I can restore my apps and games data from my Gnex with TiBu. The only thing I know I'm not going to like about stock is Chrome, so I'll either be pushing the AOSP browser or possibly moving to an AOSP based ROM sooner. I would even go Bugless Beast like ragnarok suggested above, but I'm not sure if Pete still packages Chrome instead of AOSP browser with it.. will have to look into it.

For those who need a little more info / walkthrough on unlocking and rooting, etc... just sit tight, we'll have guides up when the time comes :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Bugless Beast ends up on Nexus 4. Be hard to make the move without my favorite ROM.

At this point it looks like I'll be grabbing one around Christmas and going the tmo prepaid route for a month and move to an Att straight talk if service isn't up to snuff.

Even paying the etf for my vzw gnex its still cheaper. It'll be so nice to get outa the contract game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully Bugless Beast ends up on Nexus 4. Be hard to make the move without my favorite ROM.

At this point it looks like I'll be grabbing one around Christmas and going the tmo prepaid route for a month and move to an Att straight talk if service isn't up to snuff.

Even paying the etf for my vzw gnex its still cheaper. It'll be so nice to get outa the contract game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Lol it'll be nice to have you in the area, I'd be shocked if Pete doesn't pick up a Nex 4, doesn't he work for Tmo anyway? :)

And yeah I'm going to be saving hundreds even after the ETF and cost of the Nex 4... can't wait to get this puppy :D

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh hello soon-to-be new home :)

As Zero was saying.. unlocking is something to do pretty much right away, before you even set up the phone because it will wipe everything, including the internal sd. After that you can stay stock, heck you don't even have to root right away if you don't want to. Doing it later won't wipe anything as long as you unlocked the bootloader early :)

I myself am probably going to try stock for a bit, but I'm rooting off the bat so I can restore my apps and games data from my Gnex with TiBu. The only thing I know I'm not going to like about stock is Chrome, so I'll either be pushing the AOSP browser or possibly moving to an AOSP based ROM sooner. I would even go Bugless Beast like ragnarok suggested above, but I'm not sure if Pete still packages Chrome instead of AOSP browser with it.. will have to look into it.

For those who need a little more info / walkthrough on unlocking and rooting, etc... just sit tight, we'll have guides up when the time comes :)

Yup, Pete still uses Chrome in his ROM. I prefer it on my phone, but for some reason it lags on my Nexus 7 so I use the Android browser there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus