[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Well it was a bit touch and go but I'll share my experience.

Followed the steps to a T, but then phone was stuck on Nexus "X" for the longest time (like minutes). Finally decided to reboot, then booted into the recovery that I have (TWRP recovery), and from there did a wipe cache/wipe davlik, then I rebooted from there and it worked.

I was sweating, my buddy was looking at me as if I screwed up his phone.

Fussing around with fastboot and recovery stuff is scary at first...I was scared shless when I first started. Just keep at it and it becomes second nature. Its really hard to brick this phone.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Another update, if anyone knows what's going on.

I set up my buddy's phone with stock, he went away happy. Then when he got home he checked storage info and it's only showing him 5.6GB available space. It's definitely a 16GB model (checked from bootloader says "Mako 16GB" for variant.

When I was flashing with Def's steps there were some "erase" steps first that I did. However after I got stuck at the "X", I flashed again, only the 2nd time I started with the flashing part without the "erase" steps. Is it possible it somehow flashed 2 separate system partitions or something and now only 1 is accessible?? Is there a way for me to restore back to stock and get him the entire 16GB back? (I know it's only like 11GB usable or something).

I'm stuck. He's not here right now so I can't test out stuff on his phone. Anyone who has had a similar experience can you share ?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
For the factory imagery the first link isnt working and i cant find nexus 4 for the 2nd link. Is it the same for you guys?

I'll check the link later.. The second link should take you to the page with all the factory images.. Nexus 4 is there, you aren't looking hard enough, lol. It should say 'occam' next to it as well - that's the factory image codename for the Nexus 4 (mako).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
For the factory imagery the first link isnt working and i cant find nexus 4 for the 2nd link. Is it the same for you guys?

I'll check the link later.. The second link should take you to the page with all the factory images.. Nexus 4 is there, you aren't looking hard enough, lol. It should say 'occam' next to it as well - that's the factory image codename for the Nexus 4 (mako).

Sorry just saw that Google apparently pulled the images for some reason. I'm sure they will be replaced very shortly. There are places you can find them in the meantime in an emergency, or I can upload them to my dropbox this evening if you are still in need.

jlekach

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey I just tried to do this and got to step 6. Once I got there, whenever I input the code I get "error: cannot load 'bootloader-mako-makoz101,img'

Also, I did have to download the image file through the search on https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions and the file name I downloaded was named "yakju-jop40d-factory-279cdc5d.tgz"

I'm close to getting this done and would appreciate the help to get past this hurdle!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey I just tried to do this and got to step 6. Once I got there, whenever I input the code I get "error: cannot load 'bootloader-mako-makoz101,img'

Also, I did have to download the image file through the search on https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions and the file name I downloaded was named "yakju-jop40d-factory-279cdc5d.tgz"

I'm close to getting this done and would appreciate the help to get past this hurdle!

You downloaded the image for a Galaxy Nexus (yakju). You need the Mako image for the Nexus 4, which may still be down as Google pulled them last week for unspecified reasons. I believe peejay has a thread with the image shared if you can locate that..

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... The link is broken and it looks like Google still has the Mako build pulled. Does anyone have a link for the Mako one? I can't find the aforementioned by 'Peejay.'

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Updated the OP with a direct download to the 4.2.1 factory image from my dropbox, along with the links peejay posted, so people will have options while we are still waiting for Google to restore the images to their developer site. Also included the md5 so people will know to check that :)

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, 2defmouze! Any pointers as to where we could find the proprietary binaries that were removed as well? I'd like to build an AOSP ROM and I would need the binaries.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, 2defmouze! Any pointers as to where we could find the proprietary binaries that were removed as well? I'd like to build an AOSP ROM and I would need the binaries.

Sorry no idea about those offhand..

ajmaertens

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting my device to boot into the bootloader by using the command. It just says "waiting for device," and it never finds it. I have USB debugging enabled on my device and the drivers are correctly installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting my device to boot into the bootloader by using the command. It just says "waiting for device," and it never finds it. I have USB debugging enabled on my device and the drivers are correctly installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

Do you get a response from "adb devices"?

ajmaertens

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I get a response from "devices" when I'm in bootloader mode, and I'm also able to reboot using the command when I'm in bootloader mode. None of the rebooting commands work when I'm not in bootloader mode

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I get a response from "devices" when I'm in bootloader mode, and I'm also able to reboot using the command when I'm in bootloader mode. None of the rebooting commands work when I'm not in bootloader mode

When you are in bootloader mode you use fastboot commands, i.e. fastboot devices, or fastboot flash xxxx.img, or fastboot reboot-bootloader. When the phone is booted normally you use adb commands, i.e. adb devices, adb reboot bootloader, etc....

Where are you having the difficulty or was it just confusion about the commands?

Jameson Williams

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
CRUCIAL STEP!!

I was getting the "stuck on X logo" problem.

I resolved it by updating my SDK Platform-tools to the latest, from the Android SDK Manager.

MAKE SURE YOU DO SO!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513