[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the guide. Everything seems to be working well, except I got the three boot, recovery, and system.sig errors. When my Nexus 4 reboots, it seems fine until it gets to the "X" splashcreen. It has now been stuck at this point for about 45 minutes. I have tried going through the entire process multiple times now, and have downloaded the stock file multiple times as well. It won't boot either plugged in or unplugged via usb.

Someone help.... Please???

The sig errors are meaningless ignore them. Don't know why it's not booting, but after 8 minutes or so it's safe to reboot and try over.. Try unplugging it from the computer as soon as the process finishes and it reboots itself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The sig errors are meaningless ignore them. Don't know why it's not booting, but after 8 minutes or so it's safe to reboot and try over.. Try unplugging it from the computer as soon as the process finishes and it reboots itself.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried that a few times thinking that may be the case. However, unplugged or plugged in, it just won't get past the splash screen. Is there a possibility to side load the stock from from Android recovery? I have seemingly gotten to that screen, but I just have no idea what to do there. Again, any help would be great!

Thank you so much!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried that a few times thinking that may be the case. However, unplugged or plugged in, it just won't get past the splash screen. Is there a possibility to side load the stock from from Android recovery? I have seemingly gotten to that screen, but I just have no idea what to do there. Again, any help would be great!

Thank you so much!

If you can get into recovery (even a custom one) try clearing the cache and dalvik cache and rebooting again.

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you can get into recovery (even a custom one) try clearing the cache and dalvik cache and rebooting again.

Just wiped cache and it insta-rebooted. Looking like it is now just stuck on the Nexus X again... Hoping something can be done still....

How about the custom rom idea? Is there any use in trying to load CM10?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just wiped cache and it insta-rebooted. Looking like it is now just stuck on the Nexus X again... Hoping something can be done still....

How about the custom rom idea? Is there any use in trying to load CM10?

I'd def try it out. I'm actually running AOKP right now and it's very solid. Go to goo.im and under devs look for Roman, download his 12/8 mako preview build. Everything is stable as far as I can tell. Be sure to flash the gapps too, I believe I used the 11/30 signed ones available on that site.

You'll have to adb push them to your phone while in recovery. Same can be done with the CM10 ROMs, just saying what I currently recommend :)

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd def try it out. I'm actually running AOKP right now and it's very solid. Go to goo.im and under devs look for Roman, download his 12/8 mako preview build. Everything is stable as far as I can tell. Be sure to flash the gapps too, I believe I used the 11/30 signed ones available on that site.

You'll have to adb push them to your phone while in recovery. Same can be done with the CM10 ROMs, just saying what I currently recommend :)

Thanks! I'll try that. Just got back, and I'll let you know how it goes...

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I'll try that. Just got back, and I'll let you know how it goes...

I just tried to re-do the whole process on a mac just hoping that it may have been my windows 8 machine. Well, now I get an error when it sends the 'system' to the device. This is what I'm getting:

ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be FAILED (data transfer failure (no such file or directory))
ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to re-do the whole process on a mac just hoping that it may have been my windows 8 machine. Well, now I get an error when it sends the 'system' to the device. This is what I'm getting:

ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be FAILED (data transfer failure (no such file or directory))
ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))

I'm not mac man, really wouldn't know where to begin there.. I'd say stick with what was working..

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Problem is, nothing seems to be working lol... This is frustrating as all hell. Going back to windows now. Update coming...

Just uninstalled my driver, and reinstalled it (just hoping it had something to do with it). Got through the entire tutorial fine, rebooting now for the second time, and still stuck at the X splashscreen. Man this is frustrating. Is it bricked?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just uninstalled my driver, and reinstalled it (just hoping it had something to do with it). Got through the entire tutorial fine, rebooting now for the second time, and still stuck at the X splashscreen. Man this is frustrating. Is it bricked?

No, it's definitely not bricked.

Try using Wug's toolkit... it goes against my standards (no disrespect to Wugfresh.. he does great work, I just hate encouraging the use of toolkits for a Nexus device) but give it a shot and lets just see if that will work for your system: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.1 | WugFresh

cjhudelson

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
No, it's definitely not bricked.

Try using Wug's toolkit... it goes against my standards (no disrespect to Wugfresh.. he does great work, I just hate encouraging the use of toolkits for a Nexus device) but give it a shot and lets just see if that will work for your system: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.1 | WugFresh

I don't know why that worked, because it seemingly did the same things I was doing with your instructions, but THANK YOU SO MUCH! My phone has returned! I really really appreciate all the help.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why that worked, because it seemingly did the same things I was doing with your instructions, but THANK YOU SO MUCH! My phone has returned! I really really appreciate all the help.

By all means, thank Wugfresh for that. There are times it will work seemingly inexplicably when the command line method doesn't, and vice versa. In any case glad you got it back up and running! :)

Fraser Carter

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Can confirm say problem on a mac, notice the failure to access system and apply update...

Looks like ill have to use the toolkit too on this one :(

Samantha-Barsics-MacBook-Pro:fastboot samanthabarsic$ ./fastboot-mac -w update image-occam-jop40d.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: MAKOZ10l
Baseband Version.....: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33
Serial Number........: 003d73e85c916d1b
checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
checking version-baseband... OKAY
sending 'boot' (6166 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (6664 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (531285 KB)... ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be
FAILED (data transfer failure (No such file or directory))
Samantha-Barsics-MacBook-Pro:fastboot samanthabarsic$

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm say problem on a mac, notice the failure to access system and apply update...

Looks like ill have to use the toolkit too on this one :(

Samantha-Barsics-MacBook-Pro:fastboot samanthabarsic$ ./fastboot-mac -w update image-occam-jop40d.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: MAKOZ10l
Baseband Version.....: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33
Serial Number........: 003d73e85c916d1b
checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
checking version-baseband... OKAY
sending 'boot' (6166 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (6664 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (531285 KB)... ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be
FAILED (data transfer failure (No such file or directory))
Samantha-Barsics-MacBook-Pro:fastboot samanthabarsic$

System write fail usually can be fixed by sending the system part separately or using a different usb port as well..

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Going to use this guide later this afternoon. A buddy of mine bought a Nexus 4 from some guy, but when I got him to check the about system turns out he's not on stock. Running something called "xylon_mako_007_11_27_2012" in the "Modversion" of about phone. If I follow the steps in this guide he'll be back to stock Android and the other stuff will be totally wiped out?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Going to use this guide later this afternoon. A buddy of mine bought a Nexus 4 from some guy, but when I got him to check the about system turns out he's not on stock. Running something called "xylon_mako_007_11_27_2012" in the "Modversion" of about phone. If I follow the steps in this guide he'll be back to stock Android and the other stuff will be totally wiped out?

Yep

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Well it was a bit touch and go but I'll share my experience.

Followed the steps to a T, but then phone was stuck on Nexus "X" for the longest time (like minutes). Finally decided to reboot, then booted into the recovery that I have (TWRP recovery), and from there did a wipe cache/wipe davlik, then I rebooted from there and it worked.

I was sweating, my buddy was looking at me as if I screwed up his phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol