[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
HELP!

Sorry I will be a noob here but fearing I have bricked my phone, i need help quick! My phone won't even make it to the "Google" Logo now!

I have followed all the steps to the T using my Mac Air. I get to step 6 and all works except the command "./fastboot-mac -w update image-jwr66v.zip" it comes up with "error: cannot load 'image-occam-jwr66v.zip" What do I do? I saw another person had a similar problem but wasn't the exact same.

Austin Giorgetta

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
so my phone is stuck at the google screen when i turn it on. when trying your method to factory image restore i cant find my device. there are no drivers for my device on my computer. everything else prior to that seems to work. i have all the dl's in the folder on the desktop. am i missing a step and not knowing it?

Mayday981

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Dude! You are freakin awesome! I was freaking out over my Nexus 4 not loading up. It's finally loaded up after 3 hours of being stuck at the X logo.

shahali

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Quick question. I have TWRP as my recovery (or what ever the term is). If i follow all the steps, would it put everything into stock. The reason why i want everything into stock is because i find with TWRP i cannot do OTA (Granted i must have changed a few files).

Also whilst my phone is rooted etc.. i never use and amazing progs that would need rooted access.

If i choose to root again, can i have a stock recovery instead of TWRP..?

Thanks for your help.

Sebastian Ayala

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to install 4.4 on my nexus 4. Couln't get it OTA because I have Paranoid Android. Tried to do this following other instructions but they were too complicated. This was a breeze, thanks! I just had to change the filenames to the factory image I have

Zvory

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I got all the way to "fastboot ?w update image-occam-jwr66v.zip" then it simply stopped recognizing my comands. This is what I get:
Code:
C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\n4>fastboot-windows -w update image-occam-krt16s.zip
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id

Windows 8, I installed universal naked driver, i got this far. Fastboot has been working fine up till now. Note I am not flashing to 4.3, but 4.4. image-occam-krt16s.zip was grabbed from google.
I extract the .tar I get from google, then I move all the files from there in the same dir as fastboot-windows and all that. Please help.

Taskeen Jamali

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 stuck at the KitKat logo....wouldnt do anything...I tried to restore but it keep getting stuck at the logo...tried using Google Nexus 4 Tool kit now it wont go into USB Debugging mode. any suggestions how do I enable USB Debugging mode..Mind you I cannot pass beyond the KitKat (4 rotating dots) logo. Please help

jman79820

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Everything worked like you saide phone still stuck at boot screen which is a bit of improvement because I was getting nothing at all also my phone doesn't come on unless I plug it into the wall charger...sup with that

edszr

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Life-saving post...thanks so much. One thing I had to do was split this command:

fastboot ?w update image-occam-jwr66v.zip

Into 2 commands:

1) fastboot ?w
2) fastboot update image-occam-jwr66v.zip

other than that, this all worked perfectly!

fish411

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Where did you find image-occam-jwr66v.zip? All the files from Google are .tar files and the Nexus 4.3 is occam-jwr66y-factory-74b1deab.tar. My Nexus 4 got updated to 4.4 today and lost my hotspot tether from T-Mobile. trying to get back to 4.3, but there is only 1 factory file in the tar, but Google mention it should have a ./flash-all.sh script, which handles the various operations, installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. Note that this operation deletes all user data by default.
The Google factory file page states phone has to have bootloader unlocked using fastboot mode and tar file uncompressed, which I did, but this error when trying to update: Whoops: didn't find expected signature, read_central_director _entry failed. error: failed to access zipdata in 'bunch of garbage characters'.

Any ideas on how to update or fix this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

fish411

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
That's not it. The MD5 confirmed correct checksum. I downloaded several times with same result; just 1 file with no extension on it when uncompressed. Has anyone tried the downloading new factory files just recently posted from google to see if you get what I'm getting? I don't know what "rr downloading the file" means?

Update: I'd just ended up Rooting phone and used SQLite Editor, but still like to know why new factory files after uncompressing have no extension (at least the one's I'd downloaded).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692