[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

anon(654396)

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
According to HTC website, The One Google edition "bootloader can be unlocked by standard method for Nexus experience devices. Does that mean the process shown in this guide will work on HTC One GPe too?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
According to HTC website, The One Google edition "bootloader can be unlocked by standard method for Nexus experience devices. Does that mean the process shown in this guide will work on HTC One GPe too?

It should. Different drivers may be needed for Windows/mac.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(654396)

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the UBS drivers will obviously have to be for HTC devices. But what about CWM? The one posted here is for Nexus 4, can it be used for GPe or do I need to download the HTC One version of the CWM when its posted on clockworkmod's site?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the UBS drivers will obviously have to be for HTC devices. But what about CWM? The one posted here is for Nexus 4, can it be used for GPe or do I need to download the HTC One version of the CWM when its posted on clockworkmod's site?

You will need Koush (or someone in the community) to provide a recovery confirmed to work for the device.

Kyle Pompei

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have followed these steps, as well as those found in other guides and come to the same problem...

After entering :fastboot oem unlock" in the terminal the Nexus 4 gives me the menu to select unlock but none of the keys respond, I have to press and hold the lock button to get the phone to restart.

Things I've tried that shouldn't matter:
different cables, different computers, toolkits vs command prompt, being fully charged.

And now things that will fix the problem... any thoughts?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have followed these steps, as well as those found in other guides and come to the same problem...

After entering :fastboot oem unlock" in the terminal the Nexus 4 gives me the menu to select unlock but none of the keys respond, I have to press and hold the lock button to get the phone to restart.

Things I've tried that shouldn't matter:
different cables, different computers, toolkits vs command prompt, being fully charged.

And now things that will fix the problem... any thoughts?

You can't scroll to unlock with the volume keys..?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i did. not sure what is preventing the buttons from responding. i thought about wiping my system?

Via fastboot? That would be a bad idea and wouldn't solve the problem lol. Really not sure what to say on this one.. The hardware buttons should just work when in fastboot mode for selecting options.. Sorry I'm not able to think of anything else :/

Valmir de Naam

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
HELP PLEASE HELP I wanted to install something but I pressed something and I want my phone (nexus 4) on new to start and then "No os installed! are you sure to reboot?

Please help help pleas :'(

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
HELP PLEASE HELP I wanted to install something but I pressed something and I want my phone (nexus 4) on new to start and then "No os installed! are you sure to reboot?

Please help help pleas :'(

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html
that will get you back to stock but you'll lose everything on the phone.

without knowing what you did though, i can't really suggest an alternate option that might not wipe the phone.

JUser

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Tried the instructions on a win7 x64 system and have problems with the "re PC" section for changing the drivers. There is no option to delete the Nexus4 drivers when you uninstall - it just asks if you are sure you want to uninistall the device and seems to do that but as soon as you disconnect, reboot and then reconnect the nexus4 it installs the microsoft drivers again. If I try to browse for different drivers (in the directory I unzipped the naked drivers) it just says the latest drivers are already installed. Help?

Last edited:

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So, I've unlocked my bootloader and such... but when I reach the step to boot into recovery.img, the cmd prompt says its downloaded (okay) then rebooting (okay)... then my phone is just at a black screen. Nothing happens. I've tried flashing the recovery, which works, but superuser doesn't seem to be working (apps not asking for SU permission) once I proceed with the steps.

Am I missing something?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Tried the instructions on a win7 x64 system and have problems with the "re PC" section for changing the drivers. There is no option to delete the Nexus4 drivers when you uninstall - it just asks if you are sure you want to uninistall the device and seems to do that but as soon as you disconnect, reboot and then reconnect the nexus4 it installs the microsoft drivers again. If I try to browse for different drivers (in the directory I unzipped the naked drivers) it just says the latest drivers are already installed. Help?

Hey.. Sorry as I'm not a Windows user these days I'm going to need to hope someone else can chime in on this, else try and find some more info for you myself. The info I placed in the OP was based on others' experiences..

So, I've unlocked my bootloader and such... but when I reach the step to boot into recovery.img, the cmd prompt says its downloaded (okay) then rebooting (okay)... then my phone is just at a black screen. Nothing happens. I've tried flashing the recovery, which works, but superuser doesn't seem to be working (apps not asking for SU permission) once I proceed with the steps.

Am I missing something?

So just to be clear you were able to get into recovery and flash superuser, and that is where you are having the problem right now? Or are you not that far yet?

If you are on 4.3 you will have to wait as Koush is working on getting superuser updated to work with some changes made to the system. More info here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110558071969009568835/posts/LtttyekSUoi

I will add a note to the OP acknowledging this and update as soon as I am aware that it has been fixed.

In the meantime I believe Chainfire's SuperSU has been updated with a workaround that, afaik, is currently working on 4.3. I prefer that people use Koush's app and wait for that, but I understand people have needs and so you can find Chainfire's thread here: [2013.07.25] SuperSU v1.43 - xda-developers
The flashable zip download is under the Play Store links. Please also be advised it's probably a good idea to check out the last few pages of the thread and see if anyone is reporting any issues at the moment.

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So just to be clear you were able to get into recovery and flash superuser, and that is where you are having the problem right now? Or are you not that far yet?

If you are on 4.3 you will have to wait as Koush is working on getting superuser updated to work with some changes made to the system. More info here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110558071969009568835/posts/LtttyekSUoi

I will add a note to the OP acknowledging this and update as soon as I am aware that it has been fixed.

In the meantime I believe Chainfire's SuperSU has been updated with a workaround that, afaik, is currently working on 4.3. I prefer that people use Koush's app and wait for that, but I understand people have needs and so you can find Chainfire's thread here: [2013.07.25] SuperSU v1.43 - xda-developers
The flashable zip download is under the Play Store links. Please also be advised it's probably a good idea to check out the last few pages of the thread and see if anyone is reporting any issues at the moment.

As of right now, I've flashed the 4.3 factory image (hence my last post in the other thread). Bootloader unlocked. I've tried booting the recovery.img via flashboot, but as mentioned previously, it just reboots into a blackscreen. I can hear the USB notifcation on my computer when it reboots into the black screen. I have tried flashing the recovery.img instead, and that works. When I did this, I did flash the superuser.zip via recovery and continued on my merry way of setting up android with the intent of flashing a new "hybrid" radio from xda that enabled LTE on 4.3, but noticed I couldn't get SU permissions prompted when I opened my file explorer.

I thought I did something wrong, so I literally undid everything again, unrooting/locking bootloader and reflashing the factory image. I suppose I'll leave it how it is now (unlocked bootloader, no root) until superuser gets updated for 4.3. However, I guess my question for now is, why can't I boot the recovery.img? I just get stuck at a blackscreen.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, I've flashed the 4.3 factory image (hence my last post in the other thread). Bootloader unlocked. I've tried booting the recovery.img via flashboot, but as mentioned previously, it just reboots into a blackscreen. I can hear the USB notifcation on my computer when it reboots into the black screen. I have tried flashing the recovery.img instead, and that works. When I did this, I did flash the superuser.zip via recovery and continued on my merry way of setting up android with the intent of flashing a new "hybrid" radio from xda that enabled LTE on 4.3, but noticed I couldn't get SU permissions prompted when I opened my file explorer.

I thought I did something wrong, so I literally undid everything again, unrooting/locking bootloader and reflashing the factory image. I suppose I'll leave it how it is now (unlocked bootloader, no root) until superuser gets updated for 4.3. However, I guess my question for now is, why can't I boot the recovery.img? I just get stuck at a blackscreen.

Hm you'll have to be more specific... see the two parts I bolded above are not really clear to me. Which recovery is not working and which one is? And how are you getting into the one that is working? (I am assuming by flashing it or booting into it from fastboot but need to clarify..)

It's possible that recoveries (either/both CWM and TWRP) need updating for the new system.. haven't heard of that myself yet but stranger things have happened. But yeah in any case you can see from his G+ post that Koush is working on the superuser issue still, so you would have to wait anyway before rooting 4.3 unless you want to use SuperSU.

Personally I'm going to be sitting tight until the issues are sorted out or a stable AOKP or CM build for 4.3 comes out (as the custom ROMs can much more easily work around the superuser problem since they are building from source).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia