[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain how to upgrade to 4.2.2 without losing the root and custom kernel? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Read the FAQ, and the kernel will need to be flashed again after the OTA. Only should take a minute.

Does this works for sure? Because I want to root a Nexus 4 and I'm on a foreign country, so I'd love to do this and get the phone to work with my local mobile provider!

Yes, it does.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ but just to be sure that I am on the right line: I need to wait for the OTA to show up on my phone, install 4.2.2 as instructed and reinstall the kernel. I currently have OTA root keeper installed, so that means there is no need to reroot. Is this about right? Again, many thanks. :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ but just to be sure that I am on the right line: I need to wait for the OTA to show up on my phone, install 4.2.2 as instructed and reinstall the kernel. I currently have OTA root keeper installed, so that means there is no need to reroot. Is this about right? Again, many thanks. :)

Use the program to backup root, then restore it after the OTA. Reflash whatever kernel you want after the OTA as well. If you had to re-root it would be as simple as flashing the SuperSU zip again anyway.. Only takes a few seconds since your bootloader will stay unlocked.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Quick dumb question I've flashed back to stock 4.2.2 will the AOKP ROM work if it's based on 4.2.1?

Yes.. Just wipe fully in recovery before flashing anything. If the ROM is based on a different Android version then that is the version you'll be running, and the OTA is irrelevant.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes.. Just wipe fully in recovery before flashing anything. If the ROM is based on a different Android version then that is the version you'll be running, and the OTA is irrelevant.

So there was no point me updating to 4.2.2? lol I may as well wait for a 4.2.2 based ROM to be released.

JoeSimms

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock, Flash Recovery, Root

An excellent guide, and much appreciated by me. Thank you. Got my N4 a few weeks ago, and ready to break it free.

ZenSomething

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Your post helped me a lot!

I'm a recent convert from iOS so unlocking and rooting is a bit new to me. Jailbreaking was definitely more mass packaged, but this was much more fun.

Daniel King1

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

first can i do this method with 4.2.2 as i have not got my nexus yet and im guessing it will be shipped to me with 4.2.2.

also this method will not install CWM permanently? only installs to access/flash the SuperSU zip . so does that mean if i ever wanted to flash a customROM id have to put CWM on again?

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Use the program to backup root, then restore it after the OTA. Reflash whatever kernel you want after the OTA as well. If you had to re-root it would be as simple as flashing the SuperSU zip again anyway.. Only takes a few seconds since your bootloader will stay unlocked.

Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it.

biggyk

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Can I make a backup image of my current setup before unlocking the bootloader similar to nandroid backup in cwm?

Or least to the point where all my apps and widgets and settings can be restored to look the way it is now?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can I make a backup image of my current setup before unlocking the bootloader similar to nandroid backup in cwm?

Or least to the point where all my apps and widgets and settings can be restored to look the way it is now?

Look up Carbon Backup and Restore in the Play Store

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to root my Nexus 4 using this guide How to Root Nexus 4 on Mac! ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more! I flashed the recovery and rebooted, but when trying to go into recovery mode I noticed that my powered-off phone was no longer able to boot AT ALL. I can't get any sign of life from my phone and I don't know why. Is there any way I can get past this or start over?

Charge it and hold the power button until it boots...?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In "Setup & Files" you go on about how you're going to be using TWRP and how much you like it over ClockworkMod Recovery..
and then in "Root It !" you end up giving the example in CWM situation :p

just saying :p love the guide btw.. really straight forward and helpful :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
In "Setup & Files" you go on about how you're going to be using TWRP and how much you like it over ClockworkMod Recovery..
and then in "Root It !" you end up giving the example in CWM situation :p

just saying :p love the guide btw.. really straight forward and helpful :)

Did I really? Lol never noticed. :)

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If I want to root without custom recovery I can just push the superuser file via ADB after I am unlocked, right?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If I want to root without custom recovery I can just push the superuser file via ADB after I am unlocked, right?

No, you'd need to push the binary, and set the appropriate permissions. Might be more to do as well. Overall it's much simpler to boot a custom recovery and flash it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE