4.2.1 OTA Update Fails

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So here is the scenario, I'm rooted and running TWRP recovery. I want to get the 4.2.1 update as OTA (or at this point I'll flash it.) So I unrooted and then flashed the original recovery.img back. I then rebooted for good measure. Now I get the 4.2.1 OTA, it starts installing and then....."Error!" pops up on the screen.

I've tried this 3-4 times with the same result. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this?

I've also tried re-rooting and installing TWRP and flashing the update that I downloaded from AC and it fails as well.

I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Give the full error message. Sounds like you've changed something in your system, you must be fully stock to install the OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It literally says, 'Error!' with the green Android robot with the red triangle.

That sounds like you didn't properly flash the stock recovery before trying to install.

Also, what have you changed in your system since unlocking and rooting? You must reverse any alterations you've made.

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
That's what I did. I've even gone in and renamed recovery-from-boot.back, back to .p. Still getting the error.

I may back up all my data and restore back to factory tonight then update before I put everything back on the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That's what I did. I've even gone in and renamed recovery-from-boot.back, back to .p. Still getting the error.

I may back up all my data and restore back to factory tonight then update before I put everything back on the phone.

You could do that.. You still haven't commented on whether you changed anything in the system that would be causing the OTA to fail....

Also decide if it's worth the hassle right now.. Literally the only change in 4.2.1 that I'm aware of is the fixed People December bug.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Did you happen to change any system files or add any system apps or anything? That will cause it to error out. It needs to be completely stock in order for it to work.

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The only change I made was replacing the MMS.apk. I backed that out also and still got the error. I will try to back it out once more.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The only change I made was replacing the MMS.apk. I backed that out also and still got the error. I will try to back it out once more.

Well there you go. You need to remove whatever mms you put in there and replace it with the stock one. That's why I asked that first, lol. :)

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Would having additional alarm tones and notification tones cause this to fail? I have added one of each and they are in /system/media/audio/alarms % /notifications

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Would having additional alarm tones and notification tones cause this to fail? I have added one of each and they are in /system/media/audio/alarms % /notifications

Yes.... Any change you made to the stock system.. Adding or subtracting any file from /system/**** counts as changing the system.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to do a compare to find changes?

No, just need to remember what you are changing if you intend on reversing them to take an OTA later, and leave yourself a way to change them back. If you have a bad memory just keep a list somewhere as you change anything :)

shades#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread. But I'm experiencing the same issue.

I was running 4.2 on my Galaxy nexus, it wasn't even rooted. One of two things caused the device to get stuck on the google Logo, it could be after I attempted to root (though it did boot once) or it could be after using an LCD density changer (<----silly mistake).
Regardless, in attempt to get the device working again, I resorted to re-flashing the system.img downloaded from the stock roms provided by google. I used the 4.2 version.
After that the device booted as if nothing happened, all my data and settings were intact and soon after, a System Update was available. In the details of the update it said it was 4.2 and it was only about 900 KB. Since I'm still using the stock recovery image and have the stock system.img, one would assume there should be no issue. Unfortunately, it starts to run the update and at around 30% it stops with Error!.
Still waiting for the OTA to show up again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post, but I thought a bit of history might help.
Thanks in advance
Summary:
Galaxy Nexus, Stock Recovery, Unlocked bootloader, stock system.img
OTA around 900K fails.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread. But I'm experiencing the same issue.

I was running 4.2 on my Galaxy nexus, it wasn't even rooted. One of two things caused the device to get stuck on the google Logo, it could be after I attempted to root (though it did boot once) or it could be after using an LCD density changer (<----silly mistake).
Regardless, in attempt to get the device working again, I resorted to re-flashing the system.img downloaded from the stock roms provided by google. I used the 4.2 version.
After that the device booted as if nothing happened, all my data and settings were intact and soon after, a System Update was available. In the details of the update it said it was 4.2 and it was only about 900 KB. Since I'm still using the stock recovery image and have the stock system.img, one would assume there should be no issue. Unfortunately, it starts to run the update and at around 30% it stops with Error!.
Still waiting for the OTA to show up again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post, but I thought a bit of history might help.
Thanks in advance
Summary:
Galaxy Nexus, Stock Recovery, Unlocked bootloader, stock system.img
OTA around 900K fails.

Honestly its hard to speculate.. as in the earlier case it appears the update is not satisfied that you are stock. Given the issue you had and fixed its impossible to guess at what exactly you would need to change to correct it, at least for me. I would just do a full factory image restore, if getting the OTA right now is that important for you. You can backup what you need to your computer first.

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
No, just need to remember what you are changing if you intend on reversing them to take an OTA later, and leave yourself a way to change them back. If you have a bad memory just keep a list somewhere as you change anything :)

Yes a list is in order. Here is what I ended up doing.

Backed up data and apps with Titanium Backup.
Copied that backup to my computer, Ubuntu.
Restored back to factory, used the guide you posted.
Received the OTA to 4.2.1.
Rerooted and reinstalled Titanium Backup.
Copied my backed up data and apps back up N4.
Restored data and apps with Titanium Backup.

Total time 20 min.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes a list is in order. Here is what I ended up doing.

Backed up data and apps with Titanium Backup.
Copied that backup to my computer, Ubuntu.
Restored back to factory, used the guide you posted.
Received the OTA to 4.2.1.
Rerooted and reinstalled Titanium Backup.
Copied my backed up data and apps back up N4.
Restored data and apps with Titanium Backup.

Total time 20 min.

Fantastic... Glad you got through it easily and kept your backups, nice job :)