4.2.1 OTA Update Fails

Adam Breckels

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I was stuck with the same issue... I'm a total n00b but I finally figured it out.

Here's what I did.

Using only Nexus Root Toolkit 1.6 (Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.1 | WugFresh)
1. Unlock - (didn't lose any data)
2. Root - (didn't lose any data)
3. Go through hell trying to figure out why it was erroring out...
4. Clicked "Flash Stock + Unroot" and pointed to the ROM I downloaded to PC from Google Dev page (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images)
5. Allowed it to wipe all data (manually backed up long before doing anything) - (lost all data... obviously)
6. Allowed it to restore the factory image as if I had it all along... Presto. 4.2.1 upgraded from 4.1.1.

After I figured it out, it made sense. You can likely use the backup/restore options too, but I prefer a fresh device, and just allowed my apps to download again from google. Since I use dropbox/gservers & my desktop to keep everything, there really wasn't any issue. I don't have call logs or texts, but that doesn't matter to me.

Hope this helps. Remember, I'm a n00b to Android (switched from iOS about 2.5 weeks ago and the GN I got was the first Android device I've ever laid finger prints on). Be nice please and thanks for all the near-hit tips!:D

Cheers!

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Adam,
Thanks for the help but toolkits (imho) should never be used. The only if you read the thread you'll see I resolved the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Adam,
Thanks for the help but toolkits (imho) should never be used. The only if you read the thread you'll see I resolved the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Toolkits save you time. I think doing something the easy way is fine so long as you know and understand the right way for when you get in a bind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Blasphemy! Toolkits are the devil!
:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LOL, right! I was probably drunk when I said that.

I just use them because I'm lazy and don't wanna type a bunch of commands and go download the right images. I've been coding for a long time, doing "leet" things in command prompt for the sake of doing them lost it's appeal 10 years ago. I'll take a GUI that I don't have to maintain that's as good as anything I can write any day.

ivak0

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue,

I haven't changed a thing on it, Just got a new nexus 7 32GB yesterday, was having 4.1.2 out of the box, got an update for 4.2,
the update downloads, device reboots, get the android icon showing that it is booting and after a few seconds , get another
android icon, this time flat with a red triangle for almost a minute. The device boots but there is no upgrade.

Now, I'm a total noob and as I said I haven't flashed/rooted or changed anything it was fresh out of the box.

Any suggestions on what needs to be done ?

Appreciate your help.