[Possible Guide] Stock Android Browser on your Nexus 4

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
For those who want to use the stock android browser or at least have it available, I found this thread: How to install AOSP Browser on the N7 [w/o flashing] - xda-developers
It's for the Nexus 7, but I cannot see why this will not work. I don't have my device to test, so good luck!

Just curious, what's wrong with Chrome? The latest update seems to have squashed most of the performance issues and lag.

I just feel like that's going to be the "new" stock browser moving forward.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, what's wrong with Chrome? The latest update seems to have squashed most of the performance issues and lag.

I just feel like that's going to be the "new" stock browser moving forward.

I just hate Chrome.. I love the aosp browser. Although I could give chrome another shot since it's been improved, I would miss the thumb controls in the aosp browser tho, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Antoan Arnaudov

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with Chrome? Two things but they're so major for me that I won't use it because of them.

1) No full screen browsing. On the small Nexus 4 screen space? Really Google?

2) Adobe Flash is missing. This is a major problem because half of the sites have a better flash experience or in the worst case they're available in flash only version. Examples include: bbc.com, google.com, finance.google.com, you tube, battle.net, imdb, almost all movie sites, amazon.com, and so, so many others.

Don't tell me that flash is buggy ... I know that but we need it until there is a reasonable alternative ... and no, Dolphin browser is not reasonable because it misses even more vital featues like scrolling the page.

I hope for Google to rethink their strategy and to bring back the stock browser until Crome is up to the task - like the desktop Chrome which is perfect.

Last edited:

Antoan Arnaudov

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention the third and proably the most important drawback of android chrome browser. It uses the localized google.xx search provider and there is no option to use google.com if you're outside america. I travel a lot and i dont want to view any local sites in spain, germany, bulgaria, etc.

For those of you who missed my previous post the two other drawbacks are: no full screen browsing and no adobe flash support.

Fortunately there is a hope for us Nexus 4 users and it is called xScope Pro. It is a paid browser app but it seems to be working ok ... and no, I'm not working for xScope nor I'm advertizing for them. What I really want is for Google to rethink their decissions and to provide us with the browser that we all need.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I just hate Chrome.. I love the aosp browser. Although I could give chrome another shot since it's been improved, I would miss the thumb controls in the aosp browser tho, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Cool, yeah I just hear people always hating on it but most don't give specific reasons. Mostly I figured that it was that Google took something away, the old browser, and people hate that.

I guess I just don't really care about those shortfalls so it's fine for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2