New to Android (Questions)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got quite a bit of questions, don't know anything about Android

1. After you root your device does it reset everything you have or do you keep everything?
2. Can you install more than one ROM or you can only install one? If you can only install one, how do you combine ROMs so you can use the other one in conjunction?
3. Good root apps I should have
4. Any way to remove the stock apps when rooted (I'm trying to get rid of phone and messaging because i'm using it as a mobile player rather than a phone and would that affect anything?)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just rooting will keep everything as is. When you put a ROM on, then you will have to wipe everything off or you will have problems. You can only use one ROM at a time, but I do recall an app that will allow you to switch between ROMs.

Root apps vary depending on what you are trying to do. I have no idea of the ramifications of removing the phone and messaging apps

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Got quite a bit of questions, don't know anything about Android

1. After you root your device does it reset everything you have or do you keep everything?
2. Can you install more than one ROM or you can only install one? If you can only install one, how do you combine ROMs so you can use the other one in conjunction?
3. Good root apps I should have
4. Any way to remove the stock apps when rooted (I'm trying to get rid of phone and messaging because i'm using it as a mobile player rather than a phone and would that affect anything?)

1. Rooting doesn't reset your device but unlocking it the first time will, including the SD Card. This is a security measure to prevent someone from unlocking and rooting after they steal your phone. You only have to unlock once so it's generally suggested that you do it when you first get the phone before you spend time setting it up. My plan is to open the phone on Christmas, activate it on TMO and then unlock it right after i know it works.
2. No, you can only install one ROM at a time. You can't to my knowledge dual boot with the Nexus 4
3. There are plenty of threads on good root apps, just look around.
4. You can remove stock apps but I'm not sure why you'd need to. They really don't take up a whole lot of space and if you don't have a SIM card in the phone you can't make calls. Just disable the dialer so you can't dial 911.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power