Anyone using the Franco kernel on the stock ROM?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite ready to start ROMing this thing yet, but I was wondering if any of you have run Franco's nightly on the stock ROM? If so, how did it perform?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am using r15 but not on the stock rom. He has tweaked the color settings. They are a bit more vibrant but the whites really pop on a black background. The governor is set to interactive by default and I just leave it there. Runs fine.

Sent from my mako :)p)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I am using r15 but not on the stock rom. He has tweaked the color settings. They are a bit more vibrant but the whites really pop on a black background. The governor is set to interactive by default and I just leave it there. Runs fine.

Does the color multiplier part of his app not work yet? On the gnex, you could adjust it to any color you like.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Does the color multiplier part of his app not work yet? On the gnex, you could adjust it to any color you like.

I am not following his thread too closely but I don't think the color settings are implemented yet.
I never got his app so I'm not real sure. You could ask in his thread although you risk getting slammed for asking. Lot of 'smarter than thou' ppl on xda.

bacalao

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
On stock rooted, using Franco's kernels. Better battery life is noticeable but not a huge noticeable difference overall.

I'm still waiting to run faster and jump higher.

fremoy

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Ditto, stock, rooted, r34.
No issues, appears to be better battery than stock kernel. haven't done any tests. Worth a go as you can backup restore existing kernel with his app.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ditto, stock, rooted, r34.
No issues, appears to be better battery than stock kernel. haven't done any tests. Worth a go as you can backup restore existing kernel with his app.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum! Franco's app is definitely worth the few bucks he charges.

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried to run this kernel, I could not get it to run acceptably for games. It would drop frames and just be unpleasant. It did help the battery though. I went back to stock, anyone know what could cause it run choppy?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Went to Franco kernel and noticed battery life being substantially better. Wasn't too pleased with battery life on stock, but it's a lot better now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Cm10.1 with Franco Kernel and its very jittery for me. Not as smooth as running stock rom and kernel for me but I dont know if thats the ROMs fault or the kernel. Thinking of going back to stock ROM and keeping the kernel because it did help my battery life in terms of screen on time (only by about 1 and half though), but I cant deal with all this lag and jitters as if im still running a phone with Gingerbread on it. Its THAT bad with this setup I have right now. Folks here seem to be fine with stock rom and franco kernel so maybe ill go for that.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Cm10.1 with Franco Kernel and its very jittery for me. Not as smooth as running stock rom and kernel for me but I dont know if thats the ROMs fault or the kernel. Thinking of going back to stock ROM and keeping the kernel because it did help my battery life in terms of screen on time (only by about 1 and half though), but I cant deal with all this lag and jitters as if im still running a phone with Gingerbread on it. Its THAT bad with this setup I have right now. Folks here seem to be fine with stock rom and franco kernel so maybe ill go for that.

Which of the dozens of revisions are you running? There are some revisions that are jittery (e.g., r51, r52). You have to remember that the kernel is very much a work in progress.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Cm should be pretty stable. If you like the features that it adds, you might want to try reflashing the ROM (clearing data again). If by any chance you did not clear data, cache and dalvic when you initially flashed it, that's likely what your problem is. I use the Franco app quite often to make a backup of each kernel after I flash a new one. That makes is really easy to roll back if you get unexpected results.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Which of the dozens of revisions are you running? There are some revisions that are jittery (e.g., r51, r52). You have to remember that the kernel is very much a work in progress.

Think I was on r53. VERY jittery. Unbearably. Battery improved somewhat. Two days in a row I got 3hrs+ of screen on time on one charge, yet overall battery time was about 12hrs or so. I would get 12hrs on stock but with screen on time of 2 1/2 hours-3hrs so i'm not sure what to make of improved screen on times but overall use time being the same.

Cm should be pretty stable. If you like the features that it adds, you might want to try reflashing the ROM (clearing data again). If by any chance you did not clear data, cache and dalvic when you initially flashed it, that's likely what your problem is. I use the Franco app quite often to make a backup of each kernel after I flash a new one. That makes is really easy to roll back if you get unexpected results.

So I updated CM using the built in updater, so I could just have the stock CM kernel and ROM. VERY smooth, like stock smooth. That proves it was the kernel I was running which was Franco r53. Maybe i'll give another version of Franco a shot and see if the jitter continues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10