How to disable auto update on apps (android newbie)

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Believe this may improve battery life ? I can't work out how to do it though. Once done, will an app remind me that it has an update available that I can manually choose to update?
I'm an android and smartphone newbie. Only used to iOS updates on iPad. Despite problems with the phone, I'm loving it as an iTunes- free, open source device.
Thanks

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
open the play store, hit menu (3 dots in upper right), settings, uncheck auto-update apps. Keep notifications checked to receive notifications to manually update. I've found sometimes they aren't sent though, so if you hit menu, my apps, it will show all of your apps and any that can be updated at the very top.

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks. I'm hoping that auto update was behind the sudden overheating and battery drain when phone was in sleep mode, lying unused on my desk. That's been happening every few days. Some days are ok, so that's why I thought it was a 'background' setting.

edwinmiller

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
First of all we Android users welcome you to the world of Android. I am not sure about the improvement in battery life of Android device. The official application store of Android is well-known by Google Play Store while for iPhone it is iTunes. It is quite easy to disable the auto updates in Android. For this you need to open Play Store from your Android device and go to option; there you will find an option ?Auto-update apps? and you just need to disable that option. Hope this will work and you will get better solutions from it.

Latisa Bush

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble with automatic updating I do not wish to update anything on my phone. I do not have much storage space and these updates get in my way of using my phone. How do I stop these updates of which features I do not use ever

Valery Tozer

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
i have an htc evo desing 4g ICS, boost mobile. every time i am useing an app, and switch to another app i have a simlar issue my apps will refresh, so example.if im using youtube and pause it, then bring up FB, then go back to youtube or a browser or whatever, it reloads eveything. so i can not say fill out on online form, leave to git the right info and go back, becouse everythings refreshed.
as long as i stay on what ever im doing its fine. this also happons if i let my phonr go to sleep mode, when i go back even if its only for 5 sec, it refreshes. its really a pain in the bum. any ideas?

serge gracovetsky

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7: When I open the Google play store, I have NOWHERE the option of turning the automatic update off.
I need to kill the update of Google Maps because the update removes the off line cached maps that are very useful when travelling in places where no WIFI is available. I want to freeze the Maps application to the old 6.14 a. Contrary to what was written on the subject, the off line maps feature has NOT been restored with the updated Maps app.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 7: When I open the Google play store, I have NOWHERE the option of turning the automatic update off.

In the play store on your device go to Menu (Top right) > Settings > Auto-update apps > Do not auto-update apps

I need to kill the update of Google Maps because the update removes the off line cached maps that are very useful when travelling in places where no WIFI is available. I want to freeze the Maps application to the old 6.14 a. Contrary to what was written on the subject, the off line maps feature has NOT been restored with the updated Maps app.

Offline maps was never removed in any update. They just moved it to a place that is completely unintuitive. If you want to cache an area search for it first in maps then zoom in our out as needed to cover what you need. then in the search bar type in "ok maps" and it'll cache it.
In the most recent update they did supposedly make it a little easier to cache but i haven't found the option. Don't really need it now that i know that trick though.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
i have an htc evo desing 4g ICS, boost mobile. every time i am useing an app, and switch to another app i have a simlar issue my apps will refresh, so example.if im using youtube and pause it, then bring up FB, then go back to youtube or a browser or whatever, it reloads eveything. so i can not say fill out on online form, leave to git the right info and go back, becouse everythings refreshed.
as long as i stay on what ever im doing its fine. this also happons if i let my phonr go to sleep mode, when i go back even if its only for 5 sec, it refreshes. its really a pain in the bum. any ideas?

Android will automatically close apps when it needs RAM. The evo is an older phone and my guess is that it's running outa memory so the OS is getting more aggressive about shutting down apps running in the background so the phone doesn't slow down or lag
Best bet is to uninstall any apps you aren't using and get in the habit of using the app switcher icon and swipe away any apps you don't need running anymore so maybe it won't shut down the stuff you do want.

Ranger Gord

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Note I have an older Motorola Android Bionic and there is no three dots in the upper right of the Play Store app.
You have to open the Play Store and use the settings button in the lower left on the phone itself, the one that looks like four squares with the upper left one in white.

paul kruger

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
good day

i got a samsung galaxy s now for a couple of years and i use to be able to use my phone for max of 4 to 5 days at a time
and the disable of the play store auto updates does not help me much
my phone still or the apps still update
and all of a sudden my phones batterie does not last because of this not even a day now then i need to recharge the phone:'(
how and where else can i look to disable updates or the apps updates

thanks if anyone can help me with this:'(

Last edited by a moderator:

lmoye

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Disabling auto update is a fine start. However, what would be most useful would be to select the time of the updates. Being able to carry out app updates, say, every Sunday at 2AM would be a fine option to have. Thanks in advance to this goup for their fine ideas.