Activating Unlocked/Rooted?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I expected my N4 to take a while to get to me since it said 2-3weeks to ship, but I had it in my hands less than 48hrs later. Anyway, I unlocked/rooted mine first thing (of course:D) and just unlocked my lady's. We'll have our Tmobile activation kits tonight. Any reason being unlocked and/or rooted should cause a problem activating the devices? I can certainly return them to stock in a few mins, but I only thought about it now while I'm at work and the "wise" internet has proved unfruitful. Thinking that's because it's not an issue.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It will be fine. I unlocked and rooted both of mine right out of the box on the first powering up and activation on Tmo went smoothly.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It will be fine. I unlocked and rooted both of mine right out of the box on the first powering up and activation on Tmo went smoothly.

What plan did you go with if you don't mind? I decided I'll get the $50 unlimited plan to start and see how I do on minutes. I've never used Google Voice or Groove IP, but I plan on it so I can see if I'm fine with the $30 100 mins plan. All much better than ~$100:cool: Any pro tips?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I only use Google Voice so with unlimited Data you'll be fine. Only downside is lack of MMS.
Only people that have my non-Voice # are family members in case of an emergency if Voice for some reason isn't working.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What plan did you go with if you don't mind? I decided I'll get the $50 unlimited plan to start and see how I do on minutes. I've never used Google Voice or Groove IP, but I plan on it so I can see if I'm fine with the $30 100 mins plan. All much better than ~$100:cool: Any pro tips?

I went with the $30 plan and use GrooveIP. It works pretty well, most of the time. If you don't like it, you only get charged .10 per minute for minutes over your 100 ($10 per 100 minutes). So one way to look at it is you could talk for 300 minutes and get unlimited 4g speeds for up to 5gb for the same $50 your spending. The only problem with the normal $50 plan is your pretty limited on data, and it gets used up pretty fast.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
When did you order? I just ordered on friday and it says 2-3 weeks but I am hoping I get it as quick as you did!

Ordered mine in the afternoon on 2/6 and it was delivered 2/8 (shipped to Philly). You'll get an email/tracking number when it's shipped. Good luck and enjoy!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I only use Google Voice so with unlimited Data you'll be fine. Only downside is lack of MMS.
Only people that have my non-Voice # are family members in case of an emergency if Voice for some reason isn't working.

No s*xting pics from the lady?! No thanks! Haha. Guess there's always email as a workaround...

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I went with the $30 plan and use GrooveIP. It works pretty well, most of the time. If you don't like it, you only get charged .10 per minute for minutes over your 100 ($10 per 100 minutes). So one way to look at it is you could talk for 300 minutes and get unlimited 4g speeds for up to 5gb for the same $50 your spending. The only problem with the normal $50 plan is your pretty limited on data, and it gets used up pretty fast.

Very good point. 10 cents per minute is a very reasonable overage charge (think VZW charged $.49). I've found that 90% I'm away from WiFi I only stream Pandora or GPS turn by turn so even 3G speeds should suffice. I've also read people saying their data wasn't throttled WAY past the stated mark. I guess that would depend on location and other variables. So do you need to keep buying the $30 plan cards or whatever or only once? I was under the impression you keep buying them, but I'm assuming if you can go over your minutes and just be charged the 10 cents that your phone doesn't just quit working. Obviously I'm a prepaid noob!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Or use the Tmo line for that since it's your wife she should have that # anyway.

Whoa! We're a modern couple. Happily "single" living together for a few years :p Marriage makes "you" lazy...

Jokes aside, good point. I just have to do some research on VoIP. So you have a VoIP # and your carrier #, correct? Anyone have a good link that explains how to use these things? Kind of embarassed I've been paying $10 a month for a texting plan for years...

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So you have a VoIP # and your carrier #, correct? Anyone have a good link that explains how to use these things?

The Google Voice site should be able to pretty easily walk you through it. I had it set up within a few minutes & don't need to think about it now - it just works.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Very good point. 10 cents per minute is a very reasonable overage charge (think VZW charged $.49). I've found that 90% I'm away from WiFi I only stream Pandora or GPS turn by turn so even 3G speeds should suffice. I've also read people saying their data wasn't throttled WAY past the stated mark. I guess that would depend on location and other variables. So do you need to keep buying the $30 plan cards or whatever or only once? I was under the impression you keep buying them, but I'm assuming if you can go over your minutes and just be charged the 10 cents that your phone doesn't just quit working. Obviously I'm a prepaid noob!

With the prepaid plans, you have to refill your amount each month (or set it up for auto fill). As far as going over your minutes, they will shut your call services down if you exceed the max and have no extra money on your plan. What most do is log in to your tmo account (on line) and add something like $20 to it. The if you go over your minutes, you don't get turned off, it just draws from your excess funds.

As far as the voip goes, it works for me because I don't talk on the phone much, and when I do, I don't like it, so I get of quickly. But if you like your world perfect, voip is not yet there. There are plenty of times when you have a few second time delay as well as times of stutter and static.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just have to do some research on VoIP. So you have a VoIP # and your carrier #, correct? Anyone have a good link that explains how to use these things? Kind of embarassed I've been paying $10 a month for a texting plan for years...

At least you were texting. I was voice only until this January!

I just completely changed our phone setup using our Nexus 4's, GV, and a VoIP bridge. My husband jokes that I should draw up a flowchart. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to try to help.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
After re-reading this thread, if I were you, I would just go with Solavei. For something under $50, they have unlimited calls text and 4gb 4g data via tmo. If it were me, I'd contact that chick with the avatar of the blue eyed husky (http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/runtmms-1192246/). I think Solavei give some $$ credit to its users that refer customers, and she seems to work pretty hard at helping folks out here.

The great thing about this phone is that you're committed to no one, so if a plan doesn't work out for you, just change.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane