Bricked my phone

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I think I'm in trouble. I was trying to flash a custom ROM, but it kept hanging at startup and wouldn't go anywhere and so I decided to flash 4.2.2, but I did something wrong. So I went into TWRP and it asks for my password. My phone was encrypted and so I entered that password and it didn't work. I tried to factory reset it through TWRP, but it failed because it couldn't unencrypt the data. Is there a default password if my encryption password was lost or is there a way to turn off encryption through fastboot. Basically when I try to start my phone, it just shows me a blank screen. Is it possible that I erased the encryption password and I have no way of getting the password to be recognized? Help!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't do any flashing/hacking/etc after you've encrypted the phone. It's the kiss of death. You'll just need to do a factory image restore following the guide and start from scratch.
:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks 2def. I followed your guide to flash back to factory image (4.2.2) and I had to go the route (through fastboot) of flashing boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, and userdata.img separately. The first ones went fine, but when I got to flashing the userdata.img, it would send, but it would run into an error writing it (something like "Failed: erasedata could not be written"). I tried several times, but no go. Any suggestions?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Userdata may not be so important.. If it isn't present on first boot the OS should populate it automatically.. See how it goes :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I solved one problem, but now I'm hitting another. I must've downloaded the wrong factory image, but anyways, I got the right one (occam-jdq39) and everything was going well until the last step (fastboot-windows -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip). It says error: failed to load 'image-occam-jdq39.zip

I'm so close.

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed on the bootloader screen that it is still encrypted (SECURE BOOT-enabled). After wiping the phone, shouldn't that be disabled?

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Figured out why the image-occam-jdq39.zip file wasn't loading. It wasn't in my fastboot directory on my computer. It's going now and I'm crossing my fingers...Google startup screen...(after a long wait) Nexus logo...(even longer excruciating wait)...how long should I be waiting? It's been 10 minutes.

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just an update...I booted into TWRP and then cleared the cache and the other cache and did a factory reset. The phone started up fine. I was even able to flash ParanoidAndroid's ROM and my phone is up and running.