Is it safe to re-root after a system update?

Austin Stanley

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my Nexus 4 from Android 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Before I installed the update my phone was rooted. Now that it's updated, I still have Superuser installed on my phone, but no root access. Would there be any danger in rooting my phone again through the same process, or is there a different process for rooting your phone under these circumstances?

Thanks!

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my Nexus 4 from Android 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Before I installed the update my phone was rooted. Now that it's updated, I still have Superuser installed on my phone, but no root access. Would there be any danger in rooting my phone again through the same process, or is there a different process for rooting your phone under these circumstances?

Thanks!

Also, you may want to consider grabbing OTA Rookeeper from the Play Store, which can help make re-rooting easier after an update.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what could be easier that just rebooting in to CWM or other recovery bootloader, and reinstall the SU zip file that's still on the device.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what could be easier that just rebooting in to CWM or other recovery bootloader, and reinstall the SU zip file that's still on the device.

I can see more than one side to this...

For the record, I understand (and agree with) 2defmouze's argument for maximum self-education with regard to rooting. But I also understand that some people may want a very simplified version of that experience--the much maligned "one-click" approach. For example, as an admitted noob, much of your post read like Greek to me. I had to look up what CWM meant, am still not sure I fully understand what a recovery bootloader is, and I would have no idea where to begin looking for the zip file "on my device" that you mentioned. So if someone has decided to write a program that has a button which reads RESTORE ROOT that people can navigate to after an OTA update, I can empathize with the appeal. All this said, I'm aware that since I know so little about rooting, your recommended approach may actually be as easy if one were to do a step-for-step comparison to Supercurio's program. But sometimes language can be obfuscatory and intimidating, and not everybody has the time to decode it. Over in my previous life as an iPhone owner, I always appreciated how user friendly (read, dummy proof...lol) the hacking community made the jailbreaks, and I always made sure to donate some money as a thanks for their efforts.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that going the manual route for rooting can be intimidating, but 2def's guide is very helpful, though I also required a bit of supplementary help. For myself, I wanted this basic understanding before rooting because if you start tweaking your phone, there is always the possibility it could go buggy. Since rooting, I received the OTA withour rootkeeper, so I had to do it again and it only took 2 min the second time...first took 2 hours...I also had to reflash to stock, and the previous experience rooting helped make this easier!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit having in front of me 2Def's guide, and 1-2 XDA forum guides, and a colleague who, as he puts it, changes ROMs about as often as he changes his socks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton