A Way to Get Band 4 LTE back After 4.2.2 OTA

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
HAHA the writer might was joking or IS HE??? Its not like lte dosnt work on it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

The post was an April fools joke, read the comments... Or the source link...

LTE might be possible, but that's not the same as officially supporting it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Its no might to it. Canada and mexico including T-Mobile and some att markets can access that particular band.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Its no might to it. Canada and mexico including T-Mobile and some att markets can access that particular band.

1) no they can't. if they are running 4.2.2 Google killed it with the latest update since it's illegal for the phone to operate in any market on that band if it's not approved by regulatory agencies. And it's not approved in any market to the best of my knowledge.
2) just because you can hack on LTE and possibly get access doesn't make it an official LTE device. It's not supported by the carrier and technically, it's illegal.
3) at no point in time anywhere has Google or LG called the Nexus 4 an LTE device.

Maybe at some point that changes, if very well could and I personally hope it does. But as of 4/2 it's not an LTE device.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Haha that's as illegal as rooting come on stop the madness. Just let time be the judge.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha that's as illegal as rooting come on stop the madness. Just let time be the judge.

Devices that use wireless communications need to be certified by the FCC. If they do so in a manner that they are not certified to, then you are violating the law. That's why it was disabled in 4.2.2 to begin with. Now, will someone come knocking on your door? Probably not.

Anyone else having problems calling after doing this?
I flashed the radio from 4.2.1 and now when I call I can't hear anything

Did you select LTE Only or LTE/GSM? LTE actually can't make calls or send text messages if I understand correctly. You need GSM for that. I was able to call fine when I tried.

binyamin

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you select LTE Only or LTE/GSM? LTE actually can't make calls or send text messages if I understand correctly. You need GSM for that. I was able to call fine when I tried.

I had LTE/GSM selected. WHen I called the com.android.phone( or whatever it is) crashed sometimes. Other times the call went through but I couldnt hear anything on my phone or the phone I was calling

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Haha even though I ALREADY knew it was gonna happen Google already stated that the n4 is turning into the n4g as in official late support on 4.2.2. N4 owners should get an update shortly.

That would be great cause curiousity is just gonna killing some of us. I did see 26MB (T-mobile) this morning on HSPA+ and in all honesty that is fast enough. I read a report that the HSPA+ hardware was capable of doing 168 MB max. Don't think T-mobile will ever upgrade to that though.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
That would be great cause curiousity is just gonna killing some of us. I did see 26MB (T-mobile) this morning on HSPA+ and in all honesty that is fast enough. I read a report that the HSPA+ hardware was capable of doing 168 MB max. Don't think T-mobile will ever upgrade to that though.

they aren't pushing the update. he's referring to a April Fools joke RootzWiki played.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Devices that use wireless communications need to be certified by the FCC. If they do so in a manner that they are not certified to, then you are violating the law. That's why it was disabled in 4.2.2 to begin with. Now, will someone come knocking on your door? Probably not.

I've seen PLENTY of folks with working lte. The ONLY reason it wasn't brought up by the FCC is because none of the us markets or carriers had MAJOR lte in that band when the n4 was in production. And to my knowledge the update wasn't mandatory to begin with.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I've seen PLENTY of folks with working lte. The ONLY reason it wasn't brought up by the FCC is because none of the us markets or carriers had MAJOR lte in that band when the n4 was in production. And to my knowledge the update wasn't mandatory to begin with.

"working" isn't the same as officially supported.
For one, the tear down reveled that the amplifier and filter were missing in the phone. That suggests that while it might be able to get a signal it won't be consistent or reliable enough for official support.
I've used LTE in the Annapolis area and even when I have full LTE bars, I get down speeds that are about half of HSPA+. Maybe that's a product of a less than full roll out but it also could be a product of a lack of supporting hardware. The reason the chipset has LTE is cost. It was cheaper to not change the board out from the Optimus G, which is basically what the N4 is inside.

And, the GNote2, iPhone 5 and another phone, can't remember which one, have all gotten or are getting OTA updates to enable LTE on TMO. It's possible for a phone to be setup to handle a band before the band is put in place.

Nah, the OTA wasn't mandatory but it's all that Google could do really to disable the use of LTE.

I hope I'm wrong here, and I very well could be. But based on everything I've read and my limited "testing" of LTE around here I really don't think we'll see an official OTA to make it work. For me, hacking it back on has proven to be unreliable as well. HSPA+ is just overall better and more stable, even when I

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
"working" isn't the same as officially supported.
For one, the tear down reveled that the amplifier and filter were missing in the phone. That suggests that while it might be able to get a signal it won't be consistent or reliable enough for official support.
I've used LTE in the Annapolis area and even when I have full LTE bars, I get down speeds that are about half of HSPA+. Maybe that's a product of a less than full roll out but it also could be a product of a lack of supporting hardware. The reason the chipset has LTE is cost. It was cheaper to not change the board out from the Optimus G, which is basically what the N4 is inside.

And, the GNote2, iPhone 5 and another phone, can't remember which one, have all gotten or are getting OTA updates to enable LTE on TMO. It's possible for a phone to be setup to handle a band before the band is put in place.

Nah, the OTA wasn't mandatory but it's all that Google could do really to disable the use of LTE.

I hope I'm wrong here, and I very well could be. But based on everything I've read and my limited "testing" of LTE around here I really don't think we'll see an official OTA to make it work. For me, hacking it back on has proven to be unreliable as well. HSPA+ is just overall better and more stable, even when I

Well I've seen the same scores I've gotten on my Gnex on the n4. Rooting isn't officially supported either in case u didn't know that smh lol.

Mark Ooi

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
hi guys, i tried flashing it but after i flashed it when i want to change to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) but it still sticks to WCDMA preferred only. my versions still remains 4.2.2. Baseband version is M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48, Build Number JDQ39. please help me whether i did anything wrong

gigabitex2

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
hi guys, i tried flashing it but after i flashed it when i want to change to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) but it still sticks to WCDMA preferred only. my versions still remains 4.2.2. Baseband version is M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48, Build Number JDQ39. please help me whether i did anything wrong

Dude, you should read this whole thread (and maybe some others as well) I don't know what you "flashed" but I can see you're still on the .48 radio and you need the .27 or .33 radio. Look at post#15 of this thread for a link.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

BeardyMcTurbanoid

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
There is a simple way (or not, depending on your previous experience with flashing images) to get back band 4 LTE functionality after accepting the 4.2.2 OTA update on the Nexus 4.

After the phone has finished updating, put the Nexus 4 in fastboot mode and flash the radio image from 4.2.1. This gives you the option back to enable LTE and I haven't encountered any problems yet.
Thanks to the guys at XDA ([REF] Nexus 4 Stock OTA URLs - xda-developers) the Nexus4 4.2.1 images are at Nexus 4 Firmware ? occam | Random Phantasmagoria.

Once the N4 is in fastboot mode, only a couple of commands need to be run from terminal:

$ fastboot flash radio radio-----.img
$ fastboot reboot

Works like a charm :)

crackerstyle

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Got mine all set up to try when I get home as it looks like from an unofficial coverage map I found that I might have TMO LTE there. There is no LTE in range at my work unfortunately. The only thing I noticed though is that using fast.t-mobile.com as my APN my HSPA+ download speeds dropped from around 13mb to 4. When I change it back to the default epc.tmobile.com it goes right back to 13ish again.