Bricked...nothing in internal storage N4

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Newbie here--this is a weird one. This morning I was flashing PA from a goo manager zip and I lost everything. I did a TWRP recovery from a stock backup but I had nothing in internal storage. About phone said I was running 4.2.2 but I had no wifi and no data. All carrier info was gone. I tried reentering APN info it wouldn't stick. I downloaded a factory image and tried to copy it into internal storage. Copying isn't allowed...windows message. So I got the toolkit from wug and did a factory image flash and install. It says all steps were completed and the phone rebooted to the welcome message. Still no wifi and no data and no carrier (TMob). I hook up the phone to computer with USB and it shows up as external. But internal storage is still completely empty...no system files whatsoever. And to make matters worse, the toolkit process erased the recovery that I DID have. I'm at the setup screen...but there is no data, no sys files anywhere! What the hell is going on and is there a way to fix this? Thank you thank you thank you if you can help!

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you panicked and made things worse. When you flashed PA what steps did you take? And what do you mean by you lost everything? Sometimes the first TWRP doesnt actually save in the TWRP folder but the media folder but looks like you had nothing at all on your sd card? If you were running 4.2.1 and never upgraded then PA would not work as it uses the new radios in 4.2.2. The toolkit would have wiped everything on your phone anyway when restoring to factory images. I have no idea why your WiFi or data doesnt work though.

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Rizy7 I was already on 4.2.2. I flashed PA thru rom manager just like I always do. I can still boot to the welcome screen, so android must still be there in root, correct? But when I swipe down to get to settings the screen is blank. I have no way to access a file manager to look around the sys. And why am I unable to flash a new stock img with the toolkit? Is this phone totally bricked?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Do a factory image restore following my guide.. No toolkits, no ROM Manager, no shortcuts... I'm not saying these are the cause of your issues, but this is how you fix it.

Going forward flash ROMs in recovery, not using an app. Always make a backup beforehand, and be clear on the the steps and process, and that you have the correct files (ROM and GApps).

Take your time with the factory image restore and skim the thread and troubleshooting section if you have issues as well.
:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay do not panic, your phone is not bricked. As long as it switches on you can sort it out. What do you mean by your settings screen is blank when you swipe down? Most likely all your apps are gone so you will have to download a file explorer app again.

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Do a factory image restore following my guide.. No toolkits, no ROM Manager, no shortcuts... I'm not saying these are the cause of your issues, but this is how you fix it.

Going forward flash ROMs in recovery, not using an app. Always make a backup beforehand, and be clear on the the steps and process, and that you have the correct files (ROM and GApps).

Take your time with the factory image restore and skim the thread and troubleshooting section if you have issues as well.
:)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello again! So I got my phone back from a really nice guy I found on Craig's who managed to get JB 4.2.1 JOP40D and twrp recovery on my phone, but here's the thing--no radio. As in, no network, no IMEI no nothing. So, how do I flash a radio img or zip? Or, is this a case of the radio being so "broken" that there is no hope of recovery from this? Bearing in mind that this 4.2.1 what file/MD5 am I looking for? Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello again! So I got my phone back from a really nice guy I found on Craig's who managed to get JB 4.2.1 JOP40D and twrp recovery on my phone, but here's the thing--no radio. As in, no network, no IMEI no nothing. So, how do I flash a radio img or zip? Or, is this a case of the radio being so "broken" that there is no hope of recovery from this? Bearing in mind that this 4.2.1 what file/MD5 am I looking for? Thanks.

What does it say under Settings.. About Phone.. Baseband Version?

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So it appears that there is still nothing in internal storage. 4.2.1 boots and I have twrp but there is no data. I followed all the instructions in the factory image restore tutorial but the flashboot command comes back with waiting for device. I've tried every usb port. I cannot copy files to internal storage. I am at a loss. Is there anyone in Chicago that wants to take a look?

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was able to correctly install the fastboot and adb. I followed all instructions and installed a fresh factory image and pushed cwm. Phone boots to the welcome screen, but still no baseband, no files in internal storage. Did I install an incorrect md5 hash and fry the radio? I also tried sideloading CM10. It also installed just fine, but still no baseband, no files in internal storage. I think the phone is truly bricked.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you downloaded the correct factory image (occam) for the phone. Unzip the image using 7zip. Look within for the radio.img file which will have a much longer name. Boot to the bootloader and connect to the computer, then flash just the radio file with:
fastboot flash radio NameOfRadioFile.img

Make sure it completes. Then do
fastboot reboot-bootloader

In the text on the bottom left it will show the baseband info on one line and the radio you flashed should show. If it doesn't, we have a problem..

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you downloaded the correct factory image (occam) for the phone. Unzip the image using 7zip. Look within for the radio.img file which will have a much longer name. Boot to the bootloader and connect to the computer, then flash just the radio file with:
fastboot flash radio NameOfRadioFile.img

Make sure it completes. Then do
fastboot reboot-bootloader

In the text on the bottom left it will show the baseband info on one line and the radio you flashed should show. If it doesn't, we have a problem..

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2
0.1700.48.img
< waiting for device >
sending 'radio' (54593 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.417s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [ 3.208s]
finished. total time: 6.629s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

Bootoader shows baseband version as: M9I615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.100.48

About Phone says: Baseband Unknown

No connectivity. Nexus 4 shows up in Explorer but is empty except for one notifications folder that contains a single mp4.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Baseband Version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.177.48
About Phone: Baseband Unknown.
Internal Storage empty except for one "Notifications" folder with one mp4 file.

I think maybe you should try unzipping the image and flashing each partition individually. If you don't know what I mean, try this guide on xda:
[HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # - xda-developers

It seems like something is not getting flashed to your device. The xda guide is a little more complicated, but if you use it we can be sure you flashed bootloader, radio, system, userdata, boot, and recovery. I think it's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think maybe you should try unzipping the image and flashing each partition individually. If you don't know what I mean, try this guide on xda:
[HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # - xda-developers

It seems like something is not getting flashed to your device. The xda guide is a little more complicated, but if you use it we can be sure you flashed bootloader, radio, system, userdata, boot, and recovery. I think it's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

I've done all that. After scouring every forum thread here and on XDA the sad conclusion is that the motherboard is toast. I've flashed factory image individual components, I've flashed every radio, I've flashed CM10 and PA and PAC...nothing. Thanks for the suggestions...if nothing else I'm now comfortable with ADB and Fastboot commands!