Hi guys I'm new to Android after years of iPhone use(foolish I know). I have had my Nexus 4 for a few days and I adore the phone and im sold and will never be going back to apple. The only issue I have is with this handset is the speaker volume for notifications and YouTube videos. I keep missing calls and unless I am sat alone in complete silence I can't hear the sound when playing YouTube videos. Is the best way to remedy this rooting? And if so where is the best place to go for instructions, as a rookie I don't want to damage my phone so I appreciate its going to take plenty of research to do it safely. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By the way I am running JB 4.2.2
    04-10-2013 05:57 PM
    No need to root for that. If you go into settings>sound>volumes, is your ringtone & notifications volume turned all the way up? I have no problem hearing mine when I have music on...it stops my music and plays the notification. Maybe you could also select a more annoying sounding notification tone so you'll notice it easier.
    04-10-2013 11:19 PM
    Yes mate tried all that and every app via Google play that has been suggested online.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-11-2013 06:02 AM
    My ringer volume is quite loud when turned up. I have noticed the headset volume doesn't go as loud as I would like, but I can definitely hear it.

You problem is both headphones and speaker? or just the speaker? Any chance it could be defective hardware?
    04-11-2013 10:12 AM
    Sounds like a defective speaker or something. My Nexus 4 rings very loud if I have it turned all the way up. Normally I turn it down a couple of notches so that it doesn't startle me when it does ring. The music and youtube volumes do seem a bit quieter than my iPhone 4s used to be though. Some of it is maybe due to the rear facing speaker though as well. I'd contact google and I am certain they will help you out and probably send you a new unit.
    04-11-2013 11:40 AM
    . The headset volume could be higher but its not that bad but the speaker is terrible especially when watching videos, even if I'm in a room with just two other people having a quiet conversation I can't make out the sound on the video.
    Thanks guys I'll give Google a call and see what they say

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-11-2013 12:21 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I barely hear the sound of the speaker and only by putting my ear next to it. I've tried some programs recommended to boost up the speaker but with no results. Can it be a problem of JB 4.2.2??
    05-21-2013 11:16 AM
    Notifications, music, and videos played thru the stock video player are plenty loud for me. It is just when I play videos with the YouTube app that volume is so low I can barely hear it, even at max setting. I can play the same videos thru the web browser and they are way louder. I haven't even tried headphones yet.
    05-21-2013 02:01 PM
    my girlfreind and i both love our n4's but our speakers are also barely audible. fine with headphones, but i cant hear any ringtone other than pyxis if the phone is in my pocket.
    05-25-2013 06:54 PM
    Maybe the Franco Kernel (free version) might help you there; one of its features is to boost the volume ->> paid version is also available
    05-26-2013 03:25 AM
    I found a temp fix for the low in call volume. When on a call turn the volume down all the way. They turn it back up all the way and the sound will be back to normal. This seems to be just a temp fix as I have had to do it a few times on different calls.
    NarmaK likes this.
    07-02-2013 04:01 PM
    I found a temp fix for the low in call volume. When on a call turn the volume down all the way. They turn it back up all the way and the sound will be back to normal. This seems to be just a temp fix as I have had to do it a few times on different calls.
    This actually works .. WOW - this issue suddenly popped up for me , it maybe something by 1 year old daughter did but my phone basically whispers during calls , i have to press it hard against the ear to make out what the person is saying.
    Like you mentioned it is a temp fix , any news of a permanent solution ?
    07-09-2013 02:33 PM
    It WORKS.. THANK YOU
    mike1825
    07-12-2013 08:11 PM
    Hi All...

I just got my nexus 4 yesterday with stock android 4.2.2

It is not rooted

The in call speaker volume is very very low...

Also, the ring tone volume is very low..

Other than that I love my phone..

Please help..
    07-16-2013 04:05 AM
    I think the problem has to do with the fact that the Nexus 4 has 2 speakers - one (low volume) front top of the phone = where your ear goes on a call. The other is the main speaker (higher volume) , on the back, bottom right...

When my ring-tone goes quiet .... and I do a test call to my phone ..... the phone rings using the little front speaker. It should always go to the bigger back speaker.

Some app or other swaps the routing of the ringtone between the two. Very annoying.As a result I have missed many calls & texts.

A reboot sets the routing back right ..... but I don't know which app does the swap
    03-03-2014 03:40 PM
    Thanks John - that was spot on for me: did you find a way to get it back to normal without a restart? Cheers!
    03-05-2014 07:05 AM