Pimp Your ROM!! Share your custom setup!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
[INFO]Welcome to the Nexus 4 Pimp Your ROM thread!! The idea is simple: Tell and show us what ROM and kernel you are using and what you love about it. Share your screenshots, beloved features and suggestions, and read about other's setups to get some cool ideas you can use, too! Whatever else helps maximize your experience, from Launchers to widgets are welcome to include as well.[/INFO]

My current setup:
ROM: AOKP-jb-mr1-Milestone1 - build date 4-16-13
Kernel: franco.Kernel-Milestone.2
Launcher: Nova Launcher Prime 2.1beta4

I am a mostly stock vanilla Android loving guy, so I don't go too crazy with customizations I think, however there are some things I can't live without. Lets start with the homescreen.

I've had this same basic setup for a long while now and honestly sooner than later I'll probably look for some new icons to play with, but for now this is what it is. I use Nova Launcher's ability to change the folder icons to SimpleText word icons I made. The dashclock widget is standard. ROM-wise I use AOKP's circlemod battery icon and that's really about it.
For toggles I prefer AOKP's old-school pull-down toggles. I used the new Android style tiles for a long time but really just realized it was a silly extra step to have to switch over to the tile interface after pulling down the notification bar, so this way all the toggles I may need are there for me right away. And of course with AOKP you can add plenty more toggles they have options for, change the order, etc.. These are just the ones I use and in the order that suits my usage best.
Oh I should also mention the status bar brightness slider, since you don't see it in screenshots. Being able to control brightness by sliding my finger over the status bar is CRUCIAL to me, and probably one of the most often used ROM features I need, as silly as it sounds. Auto brightness always leaves the screen too bright by default, IMO, and that sensor being active tends to use more precious battery than I'd like. I prefer being able to adjust the brightness on the fly as needed.

Enabling 180- and 270- degree rotation are also things I take advantage of, especially useful when charging the phone and wanting to use it with the cord up and out of the way. Just flip it upside down and everything works fine. The Kill All button in the recents menu is nice to have there even though I probably use it very rarely.

Here's a quick view of my lockscreen options. Another area where I don't really customize much at all from default.

The only Nav Bar option I use is to put the legacy menu button on BOTH sides of the nav bar when an app needs it. It's a small button and I like having it within reach easily using either hand, and staying hidden when it's not needed. The Menu arrow keys is an incredibly nifty little option which gives you right and left arrow keys whenever you are typing to navigate the cursor, since it can be difficult to place it exactly where you want by touching the screen (they're shown in action the 2nd screenshot).

Nav Ring customization is something I only recently started taking advantage of and only for a few things. After seeing a video the other day I decided I needed an option to drag up and quickly, from anywhere, go directly into Voice Search/Commands, lol. This was easy to program in the AOKP settings by choosing a target, going to Select Application > Nova activities > Google Search > Voice Search. Then I decided to give Ingress a target since I use it so damn much and wanted to have quick access to it as well :)

Only other thing I can think of that I use regularly are the quick reply options for text messages - really nice to have these buttons built into the notification and the quick reply box is very convenient as well.

Miscellaneous: Another thing to note is that I use Nova swipe actions for two important things - Swipe down to bring the notification shade down, and swipe up for the app drawer (you'll notice my homescreen does not have an icon to get into the app drawer - I prefer to swipe up and not need the icon)
And really that's about it that I currently tweak on my phone, though I'm always looking for cool ideas so I'm hoping you other tweakers will share your setups here!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
My setup:
ROM: Minco v7
Kernel: Franco Kernel (latest nightly)
Recovery: CWM

Minco is a very stock based ROM with a nice configuration app the lets you extend it with a few features. It's also the only ROM that Franco officially works with. The combo is fast and stable but doesn't update that frequently. If you are like me and looking for an improvement on the stock experience without adding a bunch of bloated features you don't want or need, this is one worth looking at.

I don't like that its got a custom boot screen and lock screen icon but those can be easily replaced if you care.

The dev has washed his hands of XDA so if you want information it can be found over at minco.mobi. He's got a nice support forum there too.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Great thread man! I thought this would be about the program Pimp my ROM, but I was mistaken. Hope this thread gets this section of the forum moving a bit...

My Setup:
ROM: LiquidSmooth Official 2.4
Kernel: Franco r148
Recovery: TWRP

e6t0k9.jpg
2nint4.jpg
flm1df.png
n6v0xc.png

Starting at the lockscreen, I have set it to maximise widgets to allow me to use the Dashclock Widget. I use the text messages, missed calls, calendar and alarm extensions as well as the battery, whatsapp and Eye in Sky Weather extensions that are available seperately. For my homescreen, I use the Nova Prime launcher which has great features such as gestures and also app drawer folder making. From the screenshots you will see that there is no statusbar. A feature of this rom is the ability to auto hide the statusbar when there are no notifications. I usually get my wallpapers from an app called PicSpeed HD Wallpapers which provide hd wallpapers. I normally use the stock clock widget but I am using Fancy Widgets in the screenshots as the stock clock would just blend into the picture. I have three pages of dock shortcuts for my most used apps and I have applied Tiny White Icon Pack on them. As you will notice, there is a 1 next to the whatsapp shortcut. This is a great feature of nova launcher prime, when partnered with Missed It! it allows you global badge notifications meaning notification counts will appear for all apps both on the homescreen icons and in the app drawer icons. I have reduced the navbar height to 36dpi and use an app called Softkeyz to change the softkeys to the galaxy nexus style softkeys. On the launcher, the statusbar and navbar have also been set to appear transparent. As mentioned earlier, nova launcher prime allows me to create folders in the app drawer. I have used the MIRO EX icon pack for my app drawer icons and I have also taken advantage of franco kernel and the franco.Kernel updater app to change colour and gamma values to make the screen look even better.

345lsb8.png
ddia3a.png
uxber.png
9liy2w.png

From the screenshots above you can see that this rom offers a lot of customization. Literally every customizable option is available from usual theme support to the ever popular pie controls, also including extra options for the sound and display category. Performance control and Superuser is also built into this rom. Dark Liquid is a feature I especially like on this rom which makes the UI even more darker which can be seen from the screenshots.

2nhoy68.png
ngr66o.png
9ivedz.png
o6mphs.png

Although a lot of customization is available, this rom is still super fast (liquid smooth) and stable. From the screenshot above we can see that it scored over 22000 in AnTuTu without any overclocking which is an incredible score. Battery life is also great with this rom and kernel combination. I do not use my phone excessively and with this combination I get great idle time with the phone usually lasting me at least a day and a half with great screen on time.

Some notable apps for me include:

Last edited:

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I really like the ribbon feature that is in AOKP, might be in other ROMS as well but the only thing I run is AOKP. I also use the swipe gestures in Nova, swipe down for app drawer and swipe up to toggle vibrate and sound is very handy.

2013-05-13 20.18.01.png2013-05-13 20.18.42.png

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The lack of ROM pimping has depressed me. I was hoping I could get some insight on some new features or set up's with this thread.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Haha same.. Steer people this way!

Also I'm looking forward to that ribbon feature too.. Probably will wait for the next milestone, as I don't get much flashing time these days :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cannot get any screen shots but I was bored and decided to flash a data working preview of Ubuntu Touch. It's a little rough but pretty nice at the moment, I love having a Nexus.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick post to throw this out there.. I really liked this idea I saw from reddit to streamline quick multitasking between 2 apps: The killer feature of AOKP for me, that nobody else seems to know about or use, which gives the best multitasking I've seen on Android to date : Android

However I wasn't a fan of adding a fourth button to the Nav bar.. makes it a bit too cluttered for me and too easy to mis-press a button. So I tweaked the idea to incorporate the buttons already in play. I now long-press the Recents button to immediately jump back to the last app used, which makes quickly switching between two apps a breeze; and I set the Back button long-press to kill the current app, so you can remove it from the list, and that will even make the most recent app before it now the one you switch between with the Recents long-press (if that makes sense, lol).

Thought it was a very nifty idea I wanted to share :)

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted, unlocked and applied custom rom and utterly happy I did.

Paranoid Android(latest version with Halo, which is pretty sweet)
Stock kernel
Nova launcher
Battery life is excellent, better than stock.

I can't insert picture from my phone.... Blah

Posted via Android Central App

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick post to throw this out there.. I really liked this idea I saw from reddit to streamline quick multitasking between 2 apps: The killer feature of AOKP for me, that nobody else seems to know about or use, which gives the best multitasking I've seen on Android to date : Android

However I wasn't a fan of adding a fourth button to the Nav bar.. makes it a bit too cluttered for me and too easy to mis-press a button. So I tweaked the idea to incorporate the buttons already in play. I now long-press the Recents button to immediately jump back to the last app used, which makes quickly switching between two apps a breeze; and I set the Back button long-press to kill the current app, so you can remove it from the list, and that will even make the most recent app before it now the one you switch between with the Recents long-press (if that makes sense, lol).

Thought it was a very nifty idea I wanted to share :)

I saw that post as well and like you I do not like clutter so I did the same as you it is really helpful and quick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan