anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have a Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 stock with Franco kernel and a custom recovery. How can I upgrade to new versions of android and should I dirty flash or do I have to fully wipe the phone?

Posted via Android Central App

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have a Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 stock with Franco kernel and a custom recovery. How can I upgrade to new versions of android and should I dirty flash or do I have to fully wipe the phone?

If your flashing a new rom, yes you must do a full wipe, especially if your upgrading android versions. Why don't you head over to the xda nexus 4 thread it's pretty informative.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

If your flashing a new rom, yes you must do a full wipe, especially if your upgrading android versions. Why don't you head over to the xda nexus 4 thread it's pretty informative.

Negative... You said you're running 4.2.2 stock, not a custom ROM, so unless you've made any significant changes to your system you should be able to update when one is released without much issue. You will probably need to reflash the stock kernel and likely recovery as well. Both of these can be pulled out of the factory image downloadable from Google and flashed in fastboot. The files in the factory image will be named recovery.img and boot.img for the recovery and kernel, respectively. You flash them in fastboot using:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
and
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Easy as that.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Negative... You said you're running 4.2.2 stock, not a custom ROM, so unless you've made any significant changes to your system you should be able to update when one is released without much issue. You will probably need to reflash the stock kernel and likely recovery as well. Both of these can be pulled out of the factory image downloadable from Google and flashed in fastboot. The files in the factory image will be named recovery.img and boot.img for the recovery and kernel, respectively. You flash them in fastboot using:
and

Easy as that.

Oh thanks! Yeah its the stock ROM with franco kernel nightly and custom recovery.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
and

Easy as that.

Actually you do need to do a full wipe if you are flashing a different rom whether it be stock modded or aosp. And indeed if he is just flashing an update to his current rom he doesn't need to do a full wipe just his caches. I should know I've been rooting for almost three years now.

The reason being is because you will get conflicting data between your apps being cached from a specific rom for that specific rom, if you don't wipe your data when flashing a new rom, it may not read the cache for your data correctly.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually you do need to do a full wipe if you are flashing a different rom whether it be stock modded or aosp. And indeed if he is just flashing an update to his current rom he doesn't need to do a full wipe just his caches. I should know I've been rooting for almost three years now.

The reason being is because you will get conflicting data between your apps being cached from a specific rom for that specific rom, if you don't wipe your data when flashing a new rom, it may not read the cache for your data correctly.

You are correct that you must do a full data wipe when flashing a new custom ROM, and often when updating the same ROM - dirty flashing (just wiping the caches) is risky in any situation, as someone with your experience should know.

However OP asked about updating his stock phone when a new version of Android is pushed, an OTA. This does not require wiping anything.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You are correct that you must do a full data wipe when flashing a new custom ROM, and often when updating the same ROM - dirty flashing (just wiping the caches) is risky in any situation, as someone with your experience should know.

However OP asked about updating his stock phone when a new version of Android is pushed, an OTA. This does not require wiping anything.

Hmm, It isn't entirely stock, it has franco kernel and a custom recovery. Cant I download the stock 4.3 image from google, wipe cache and dalvik cache then flash the 4.3 update without wiping data?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, It isn't entirely stock, it has franco kernel and a custom recovery. Cant I download the stock 4.3 image from google, wipe cache and dalvik cache then flash the 4.3 update without wiping data?

As I said you will probably need to flash the stock kernel and recovery from the 4.2.2 image first, then you can apply the 4.3 update when it is released. Flashing the stock kernel and recovery will only take a few seconds following the instructions.

The image from Google is not a flashable zip like you are thinking. The OTA update file itself may be sideloadable or flashable in a similar way, which probably wouldn't require any wiping.

The factory image however is a different beast altogether. Factory images need to be flashed in fastboot and require a full device wipe.. but we use them as a last resort when we've screwed something up on our Nexus devices. A factory image restore can always be used to flash your device to stock, out of the box condition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000