Im new to rooting and scared to try it but I've seen many videos on youtube about rooting and i have a few questions. My laptop is WIndows 8 so I heard theirs more steps to root when using W8 so should I just use my PC on W7? I never use the desktop though. Second I plan to use Wugfresh's Root toolkit which I think looks the easiest and third is I plan to install Franco Kernal because It gives good battery life and performance from what I understand? Also If I buy Franco Kernal on the App store I read I can install it that way? Also what specifically or ROMS? I've just been researching Kernals which to me is more important. Also I know everything gets deleted when unlocking your bootloader but what about everything on your Sim card? Thank You
    07-13-2013 08:19 PM
    What extra steps? I rooted on my W8 and Vista PCs.

Kernel is all your personal preference.

Don't know, just flash in recovery.

ROMs are essentially operating systems for Android and different ROMs contain different features. Personal preference, some of the popular ROMs are Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and Paranoid Android. I use deTmobilized myself. Make sure you download the correct ROM for your phone make and model!! You risk bricking your device if you don't!

Your SIM card isn't touched.
    07-13-2013 08:53 PM
    What extra steps? I rooted on my W8 and Vista PCs.

Kernel is all your personal preference.

Don't know, just flash in recovery.

ROMs are essentially operating systems for Android and different ROMs contain different features. Personal preference, some of the popular ROMs are Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and Paranoid Android. I use deTmobilized myself. Make sure you download the correct ROM for your phone make and model!! You risk bricking your device if you don't!

Your SIM card isn't touched.
    With W8 you need to enable 'test mode' in the settings. also i tried to download franco kernal and theirs like a bunch of zip files and settings that i dont know what to download.
    07-13-2013 09:20 PM
    With W8 you need to enable 'test mode' in the settings. also i tried to download franco kernal and theirs like a bunch of zip files and settings that i dont know what to download.
    I don't think you need to jump into rooting yet. Watch some YouTube videos and look on XDA for tutorials. Also, you flash .zips in your custom recovery.
    07-13-2013 10:01 PM
    I don't think you need to jump into rooting yet. Watch some YouTube videos and look on XDA for tutorials. Also, you flash .zips in your custom recovery.
    This is the guide I've been reading and I watched a lot of videos on how to unlock bootloader and root the N4. I just havent found what to download exactly for kernels.
    Hippowise.com
    07-13-2013 11:11 PM
    Why do you want to root your device?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    07-13-2013 11:15 PM
    Why do you want to root your device?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    I want better Battery life and performance and I read Franco Kernel is the best well of one the best.
    07-13-2013 11:31 PM
    Take a deep breath... Relax...

The WugFresh Toolkit is one of the best. If you use Win8 as your regular machine, then that's where you want to install the Toolkit. I use Win8. Just follow the instructions for driver setup. You'll need the drivers anyway, even if it's just to transfer files over USB.

Let WugFresh help you through the setup.

Once that's done you can unlock and root. The toolkit makes it easy.

Then, fork over the change for the paid version of franco.Kernel Updater. Save your stock kernel before you change anything and you can always restore it. Milestone 3 is out now. The Updater will flash the kernel for you and reboot. There are a lot of preconfigured setups you can run if you don't want to customize your own settings. Again, franco is one of the best.

These tools made it easy for me and I've just come back to Android after a long absence.

If you have problems or questions along the way, someone here should be able to help you.

If it goes horribly wrong somehow, you can restore to factory pretty easily: either use the Nexus Root Toolkit or follow the directions here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...e-restore.html
    07-14-2013 01:03 PM
    Take a deep breath... Relax...

The WugFresh Toolkit is one of the best. If you use Win8 as your regular machine, then that's where you want to install the Toolkit. I use Win8. Just follow the instructions for driver setup. You'll need the drivers anyway, even if it's just to transfer files over USB.

Let WugFresh help you through the setup.

Once that's done you can unlock and root. The toolkit makes it easy.

Then, fork over the change for the paid version of franco.Kernel Updater. Save your stock kernel before you change anything and you can always restore it. Milestone 3 is out now. The Updater will flash the kernel for you and reboot. There are a lot of preconfigured setups you can run if you don't want to customize your own settings. Again, franco is one of the best.

These tools made it easy for me and I've just come back to Android after a long absence.

If you have problems or questions along the way, someone here should be able to help you.

If it goes horribly wrong somehow, you can restore to factory pretty easily: either use the Nexus Root Toolkit or follow the directions here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...e-restore.html
    thanks for being helpful! Also how exactly do i back up the stock Kernel? do i do it on Wugfresh's toolkit?
    07-14-2013 05:07 PM
    so im having a little trouble with disabling devices using USBDeview. It said to disable anything thats Android, ADB, Samsung, LG, Google USB devices, especially any devices with Vendor ID 18d1″ (i.e. Google) or 04e8″. Looking at USBDview I have a bunch of Google Inc drivers for the Nexus 4 so do I disable those too? The rest I see are Apple, Sony, Logitech, Sandisk, Microsoft, Novatek, Intel, Kingmax, and some random USB devices so Im assuming since those dont fall in the category of what to delete im assuming these should be left alone. So I should just delete the Nexus 4 stuff in USBDview?

I should also note that i went to Step 3 in Full driver configuration Guide and I tested my drivers and I got the message 'success' but I didnt disable any drivers in USBDeview so I dont know if i should still delete those google drivers

Also since i have Windows 8 I did the steps to disable driver signature enforcement first and then I went into USBDeview. This is what I have in USBDeview. Google Nexus 4 bootloader, Nexus 4, USB Composite device from google Inc , Nexus 4 and Google Nexus 4 ADB interface.

I actually am following to tutorials and In one the guy did the Windows 8 workaround then he just backup files to started the Unlock. He didnt go into The full driver configuration guide.
    In the other guide im reading they disabled devices first then did the Windows 8 disable signature enforcement thing then tested it to see if the drivers work.

Basically this is what I did. I downloaded Wugfresh toolkit pick my device etc.
    disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8
    Tested the drivers and I got a 'Success' message
    Now im looking at USBDeview because I didnt disable Android, ADB, Samsung, LG, Google USB devices ( This is where im stuck)
    07-14-2013 06:46 PM
    Removing the drivers at the second step is a precautionary step as sometimes the correct drivers would not install if other drivers were previously installed on the computer. The drivers you see are probably the drivers which are used when connecting through usb in normal mode. If you get the success message everything should be fine.
    07-14-2013 07:54 PM
    Thanks guys. So i rooted and everythings fine i just need to know how to back up stock kernal
    07-14-2013 09:44 PM
    Nvm I found Flashify and Trickster. Now to figure out what kernel to use :P

Matrix or Franco ?? I like Battery life and Performance
    07-15-2013 09:27 AM
    Glad you are making progress...

I've been very happy with franco.Kernel. With the paid Updater App you can back up the stock kernel before you install the custom. You can also save various custom setups after the franco.Kernel install so it's easy to revert back to the last thing that worked for you. There are custom color settings that really correct the shortcomings in the stock screen gamma so that your N4 will look much better. Also the volume controls help N4 a lot. As for the CPU settings, I have some customization in there as well. When I bumped up from Milestone 2 to Milestone 3 yesterday all of those custom settings carried over - so you don't have to set up again every time the Kernel version advances.
    07-15-2013 01:14 PM