How would I update?

blue_k

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am running CyanogenMod 10.1.2 with franco.Kernel Milestone 3, and am wondering how do I update when the next version of CyanogenMod releases? As I understand when I update the ROM even OTA, it will reinstall it's kernel, therefore I'd have the CyanogenMod kernel after updating. How would I flash back franco.Kernel kernel? Would I just do it through CWM as I did it originally provided the franco.Kernel version is compatible? I also use the franco.Kernel updater app with settings that only work with franco.Kernel, will this cause issues if it tries to use those settings on the CyanogenMod kernel, or would I just flash franco.Kernel before the first boot of an update?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
In a case like this I would just update CM via recovery. That way you can flash the franco kernel after you update CM. Better safe than sorry :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Does updating using CWM wipe all data though? I thought it did, or is that only when you first flash it?
Depends on how the ROM dev cooks the ROM. There are some ROMs where updates don't require a full wipe (you would only have to wipe cache/dalvik) which would save your data. The ROM I have on my Note 2 is CM based and didn't require a full wipe.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how the ROM dev cooks the ROM. There are some ROMs where updates don't require a full wipe (you would only have to wipe cache/dalvik) which would save your data. The ROM I have on my Note 2 is CM based and didn't require a full wipe.

Any ROM can require a full wipe at any time.. Depends only on how much has been changed in the system since your last update. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2