Rooted users with a different Kernel, will you upgrade to 4.3

Will you manually upgrade to 4.3

• Total voters

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted and am using Franco's Kernel. From what I understand I therefore cannot receive 4.3 over the air and need to install it manually, wiping the device. It doesn't seem like 4.3 changes much for my day to day life, so most likely I will avoid the hassle of wiping and perhaps wait for 5.0 to come out to manually upgrades.

For those of you who are in a similar situation, will you wipe your device and install 4.3?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to wipe anything IF all you've changed is the kernel. You can reflash the stock kernel by downloading the 4.2.2 image from Google, unzipping using 7zip, looking for the file named boot.img and placing it in your sdk folder or folder containing your fastboot files - the factory image restore guide may help explain this if you are unclear. Once that's done you simply flash that in fastboot using:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

That will replace the kernel with the stock 4.2.2 one. If nothing else has been altered in your system you should now be able to upgrade using the OTA.

Another option is to restore a nandroid backup you made (should have made) from before you altered anything. You can even back up your current apps and their data using something like Titanium Backup before doing this, then restoring them later so you won't lose anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the explanation 2defmouze. What else could I have changed besides the kernel that will impair me receiving the OTA? I suppose that since I haven't done any kind of hi-tech stuff, I have to look at the apps that I've installed and require root?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Ah, in fact I've changed the recovery while rooting, I think I have TWRP. So I would need to wipe to get 4.3. And I suppose that a majority of the rooted users also have a custom recovery installed. Then I guess my question is still relevant, although I should have titled my post "users with a custom recovery"

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the explanation 2defmouze. What else could I have changed besides the kernel that will impair me receiving the OTA? I suppose that since I haven't done any kind of hi-tech stuff, I have to look at the apps that I've installed and require root?

Hard to know from here... But any changes to the stock system would potentially be a problem. Besides the kernel think if you've used any root apps to alter anything else from stock.

Dani Fujii

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've also flashed franco kernel. My question is, if i directly flash the factory image of Android 4.3, wouldn't that already flash a stock kernel? Am I wrong? Because that seems to be what is going to happen with 4.2.2 factory image, am i right? Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've also flashed franco kernel. My question is, if i directly flash the factory image of Android 4.3, wouldn't that already flash a stock kernel? Am I wrong? Because that seems to be what is going to happen with 4.2.2 factory image, am i right? Thanks!

Yes if you want to flash the factory image you will wipe the entire device anyway, and it will install everything fresh (kernel, recovery, system, etc). If you want to update via the OTA and, hence, not wipe your device, you'd need to first be sure to have the stock kernel and not have an altered system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm then. If you modified your device but did not install a custom rom, you can always flash stock recovery, flash stock kernel, unroot if necessary and you should be able to receive ota. None of those steps require to wipe your device. So if you want 4.3, unless you have installed a custom rom - or did some weird stuff - you shouldn't need to wipe your device.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm then. If you modified your device but did not install a custom rom, you can always flash stock recovery, flash stock kernel, unroot if necessary and you should be able to receive ota. None of those steps require to wipe your device. So if you want 4.3, unless you have installed a custom rom - or did some weird stuff - you shouldn't need to wipe your device.

Well you may find you'll need to undo any system changes you've made. For example any apps you've installed as system apps that were not a part of stock, if you've changed the lcd density, or anything else some root apps may have done to your system. Simply unrooting wouldn't undo any changes, nor would it even be necessary for the OTA to work. If anything the OTA will probably break your root access anyway.. This is normal. You can use OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store usually to back up and restore root after the update, or just re-root afterwards...... HOWEVER: There have apparently been some annoying changes to Android in 4.3 which are causing some issues rooting using Koush's superuser. Last I read he is still looking into a workaround. I believe SuperSU has been modified to work with 4.3 but I'd personally wait for Koush to get his working and recommend people use his work.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again 2def. I'll just try to undo what I did without wiping and see if I get it or not. If not then I'll wipe when the next iteration comes probably.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Franco has a bare bones 4.3 kernel posted. Personally, I'm waiting for AOKP PUB to move to 4.3. Per Franco the 4.3 kernel is a huge improvement, so I'm pumped to make the jump. Just not enough to leave my beloved krait optimized AOKP lol.

rombel

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I purchase a nexus 4, which the seller said was rooted. how do I know if I have stock ROM, or stock kernel? why I ask, no update for me to 4.3...

Posted via Android Central App

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi rombel. You can find such information in the settings menu, about phone (the bottom one). You can post a screenshot of that information if you are not sure what it means.

rombel

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
thanks for replying, but I'm having trouble inserting the shot as you had instructed

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I will eventually. I don't think there is much of a big difference to warrant me to rush to do it. I'm on ParanoidAndroid with Franco Kernel right now, so I'll probably wait until the update to PA based off 4.3 comes out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital