[PSA] [UPDATED 8/1/13 18:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 16:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Ah I'm guessing (and I wish I'd checked android central before upgrading) this is why I'm getting the problem I have here ... http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...ost-lock-screen-after-update.html#post2961706

I think it might be OTA rootkeeper that's the problem as I found someone else with the same issue and they use it too (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...help-infinite-bootloop-4-3-a.html#post2962138)

So looking a the above should I try to switch to chainfire's SU ... only problem is I can't change the SU on my phone as I can't get past the lock screen (and when plugged into the computer although it recognises my N4 it doesn't seem to display anything inside it when opened) ... unless I can do it via the play store..

Is there anyway to get myself out of this mess with my appdata intact? Should I uninstall OTA Rootkeeper or SuperSU via the play store (on my PC) and see if that lets me get past the lockscreen? It's odd because everything is working fine I still see the notifications when I get emails and things - I just can't get to them to see them (other than obviously separately on my PC)...

I can't say for sure.. But I lean towards thinking you might just need to do a factory image restore. Hopefully you have your app data backed up with TiBu or something off of the device.. If not you would lose it.

Definitely ask around tho as its possible there's another solution out there. I personally always update my TiBu backups and back them up to Dropbox before going through any procedure I'm not sure of.. That way no matter what I know I can restore it all after an image restore in the worst case scenario.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/29/13 18:45] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Thanks for the warning !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

NabeShogun

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 16:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Unfortunately not, I never have enough free space to make a backup with titanium (even though I had it installed) ... never figured out a way to hook it up to my computer and directly dump a backup there rather than on my phone first ...

Looking at it OTA rootkeeper is no longer listed as a compatible app ... I seem to remember before I could uninstall (as well as install) stuff on my phone via my PC when looking at the play store and signed in ... am I going crazy or is that no longer there? I'm hoping if I can get rid of that (and maybe superSU too) maybe I'll get past the lockscreen... (though if they are the problem I'm not sure why booting in safemode doesn't work)

Factory image will be a last last resort ... sigh ...

edab

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone rooted the 4.3 update using Koush's spuerusre-4.3-beta2.zip via flashing with his recovery-clockworkmod-touch-6.0.3.5-mako?? If so, is all working well, i.e. TiBu.
Thanks in advance

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I'm stuck without root on 4.3. No custom recovery and I'm having a very difficult time figuring out how to flash the SuperSu for root. I'm still pretty new when it comes to manually flashing.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm stuck without root on 4.3. No custom recovery and I'm having a very difficult time figuring out how to flash the SuperSu for root. I'm still pretty new when it comes to manually flashing.

Bootloader must be unlocked. Put the SuperSU zip on the device, boot into the bootloader, connect to computer (where you have opened a command prompt/terminal in the folder where your fastboot exe is located, with the recovery img you wish to use in there as well), then:
fastboot flash recovery NAMEOFRECOVERY.img
It should complete, then use volume buttons to scroll to recovery, hit power to select it, in recovery install the zip.
Reboot.
(obviously replace NAMEOFRECOVERY with the actual file name)

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Bootloader must be unlocked. Put the SuperSU zip on the device, boot into the bootloader, connect to computer (where you have opened a command prompt/terminal in the folder where your fastboot exe is located, with the recovery img you wish to use in there as well), then:
fastboot flash recovery NAMEOFRECOVERY.img
It should complete, then use volume buttons to scroll to recovery, hit power to select it, in recovery install the zip.
Reboot.
(obviously replace NAMEOFRECOVERY with the actual file name)

It was just that simple, huh. Thanks a lot. I searched online for what seemed ages and couldn't find anything that worked :D

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried to load superuser by booting into recovery but I only get a black screen. Can it only be done now by flashing it first before running the root zip? I liked being rooted but keeping a stock recovery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried to load superuser by booting into recovery but I only get a black screen. Can it only be done now by flashing it first before running the root zip? I liked being rooted but keeping a stock recovery.

Correct.. Seems that way so far.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Not quite, I'm using cwm touch 6.0.3.5, but with chainfire's 1.51su. However, titanium seems to work fine, as do other root apps. Everything seems to work very well... Almost... Too well...

Posted via Android Central App

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Not quite, I'm using cwm touch 6.0.3.5, but with chainfire's 1.51su. However, titanium seems to work fine, as do other root apps. Everything seems to work very well... Almost... Too well...

So did you flash the cwm.What did you mean by No at the start of your post. Are you saying it's not possible to reflash stock recovery once you have root? Its just that I'm anxious to regain root for some apps but I liked have the stock recovery for the OTA.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So did you flash the cwm.What did you mean by No at the start of your post. Are you saying it's not possible to reflash stock recovery once you have root? Its just that I'm anxious to regain root for some apps but I liked have the stock recovery for the OTA.

I'm not sure what he's referring to either. But you can always reflash stock recovery. Root has zero effect on it.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, was replying to edab earlier in the thread but it didn't quote his post... Probs hit the wrong button :p but yeah, what 2defmouze said... Although, I could swear I've had an OTA while using cwm... Are you sure it breaks OTA?

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, was replying to edab earlier in the thread but it didn't quote his post... Probs hit the wrong button :p but yeah, what 2defmouze said... Although, I could swear I've had an OTA while using cwm... Are you sure it breaks OTA?

Thanks for clarifying. I believe you need to have pure stock to receive an OTA & that includes having stock recovery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying. I believe you need to have pure stock to receive an OTA & that includes having stock recovery.

Some people have claimed they were able to receive an OTA with a custom recovery.. more often than not though you should plan to need stock everything.

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I found out that you can boot into custom recovery on 4.3.3 using the following :
fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot custom_
recovery.img
It works perfectly.