[PSA] [UPDATED 8/1/13 18:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE 8/1/13 18:15: Koush's beta3. Read the changelog in post for updates: https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/F6mgvf5JpZ4

UPDATE 7/29/13 18:45: Chainfire has released v1.51 for download and flashing. Seems confident it will be stable enough to be the final build for a while. Full info here: https://plus.google.com/113517319477420052449/posts/GjbpgDdF6Fq
Koush confirmed he was pretty much done with Superuser the other day as well and had pushed it to CM for ROM inclusion. He hasn't released a flashable version for stock yet but hinted that would be coming soon.

UPDATE 7/27/13 16:15: Chainfire has this to say at the moment, offering a nice bit of info about the technical difficulties both he and Koush are dealing with and the current limitations he's acknowledging: https://plus.google.com/113517319477420052449/posts/LYNiJCrWBGQ

UPDATE 7/27/13 12:40: Koush just confirmed he's almost done with his superuser, apparently will be using a workaround similar to Chainfire's as he was unable to find another way to get around the issues in 4.3.. more info here: https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/dRXeizPKSqt

UPDATE 7/27/13 11:35: Chainfire's SuperSU has been updated to v1.45. Info found in his thread: [2013.07.27] SuperSU v1.45 - xda-developers
A few bugs have been worked on. Personally I will throw in that I've been using stock Android 4.3 on my Nexus 7 to test things out and I can confirm SuperSU seems to be working as far as I can tell for root.. However, as others have reported and Chainfire has acknowledged, you shouldn't expect it to be bug free. I'm definitely seeing the OS consume battery much more than it should and this is one of the issues with Chainfire's workaround we were told to expect. But if you need root and cannot wait for a better solution you should be ok using SuperSU for now as long as you are aware of these issues.

[ORIGINAL POST]
Because of security changes to Android introduced in 4.3, as of right now the traditional root methods are broken. For a more technical description please see Koush's post here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110558071969009568835/posts/LtttyekSUoi

Koush is working on a permanent solution for this, but his superuser app is currently not working in Android's newest version. Some users instead use Chainfire's SuperSU app and exploit for root control, and this has been modified by Chainfire with a workaround that is working for the time being, albeit buggy and not 100% reliable. Those users in need of root access ASAP may want to search for Chainfire's SuperSU thread on XDA, where he has provided a flashable zip of the package. I'd also recommend reading at least the last few pages of the thread when you get there (as we do with custom ROM threads) to get an idea of any issues users are currently experiencing and see what developments are being made to fix the issue.

It's worth noting that once custom ROMs built from the 4.3 source arrive, the ROM devs can easily just revert the changes to restore root access like it used to be done, so for now this problem will likely only affect stock 4.3 users who want root access.

I'll be keeping tabs on the developments and updating anything newsworthy here for you guys. I wouldn't sweat it much, as I'm sure a more solid/permanent solution will be found by the smart guys looking into it... but for now we may want to sit tight and wait for that to happen.

:)

Last edited:

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Do I gather correctly that eventually a new superuser.zip file path will be posted in the rooting instructions once Koushik comes up with a solution?

edab

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Chainfire's SuperSU v1.45 was updated just this morning. App is available in the Play Store or a flash-able zip file can be downloaded from the link below.

SuperSU Download

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Do I gather correctly that eventually a new superuser.zip file path will be posted in the rooting instructions once Koushik comes up with a solution?

Yep, just waiting on Koush to get on it.

Chainfire's SuperSU v1.45 was updated just this morning. App is available in the Play Store or a flash-able zip file can be downloaded from the link below.

SuperSU Download

Was just on my way to update the thread with that info :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 11:35] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Thanks for this 2defmouze.

Bottom line if your one who likes to run custom ROMs and needs reliable root you may want to stay on 4.2.2 until the root packages fixed and working reliably.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 11:35] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Another update from Koush added to OP

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 12:40] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

He didn't mention that I noticed, but I'm guessing Kush's su will have the same battery problem as Chainfire's then?

On the bright side, this wait means I've got longer before I have to flash a factory image and spend an age reintegrating my data and setting everything back up!

Posted via Android Central App

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 12:40] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

He didn't mention that I noticed, but I'm guessing Kush's su will have the same battery problem as Chainfire's then?

On the bright side, this wait means I've got longer before I have to flash a factory image and spend an age reintegrating my data and setting everything back up!

I was wondering the same thing to be honest.. Having no intimate knowledge of exactly how these things work, I would speculate that it would foolish to assume it will be perfect in the first couple iterations. It's probably safe to say they may need a little time and a couple versions to squash bugs, but that's to be expected and not a big deal. Chainfire did supposedly get rid of part of the battery drain problem his original hack introduced, but I can definitely confirm it's not gone yet. I'm looking forward to Koush finalizing his implementation and hopefully it won't cause any major issues.

Also worth repeating: The big ROM players who build from source (CM, AOKP, etc) will NOT have problems with su when they start pushing out their ROMs to the masses, because they can just modify the source code and implement su in a more natural way, reverting the problems 4.3 introduced. The "hack-around" superuser and SuperSU binaries only exist for and need to be used by people running stock 4.3.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing the extra drain may come from the daemon kush mentioned having to implement. if so, it'll probably never go away completely, but will maybe improve.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing the extra drain may come from the daemon kush mentioned having to implement. if so, it'll probably never go away completely, but will maybe improve.

Well yeah that's the root of it (no pun intended, lol)... having to in a sense set up a backdoor hack to enable root permissions through a daemon is a PITA I'm sure, and introduces a ton of new variables and potential problems. That's why I expect it'll take some time to perfect it, as best as can be done. Thankfully smarter people than me are at work on that :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 16:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Just a note for those interested in technical things.. The last post from Koush I linked in the OP has a great discussion in the comments, JBQ chiming in as well..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 16:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Koush is done with the initial 4.3 superuser.. To be baked into CM and, when ready I guess, flashable for 4.3 stock. Just linking to his post here for info as I'm away from the computer right now: https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/4RRRUedDssF

Nothing available for direct flashing for stock users yet so I'll just leave the update here.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I have no idea how to root since going to 4.3. I am trying to follow 2defmouze's method which has always worked for me, but when I try to do "fastboot boot recovery.img" all i get is a blank screen. Never boots into the custom recovery so I can't flash the superuser.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea how to root since going to 4.3. I am trying to follow 2defmouze's method which has always worked for me, but when I try to do "fastboot boot recovery.img" all i get is a blank screen. Never boots into the custom recovery so I can't flash the superuser.

Try using fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, then scroll to recovery using the volume keys and hit power.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Also please make sure you use Chainfire's latest SuperSU, v1.5 just released. Check his g+ for the link to the flashable zip.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Try using fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, then scroll to recovery using the volume keys and hit power.

5 minutes after I post and I get a reply. Did I ever tell you how incredibly awesome you are 2defmouze? Thanks man!

(Might want to update your Root tab for others getting the "blank screen" when trying to boot into recovery. This worked flawlessly for me.)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thread updated, today's update from Chainfire.

NabeShogun

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Ah I'm guessing (and I wish I'd checked android central before upgrading) this is why I'm getting the problem I have here ... http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...ost-lock-screen-after-update.html#post2961706

I think it might be OTA rootkeeper that's the problem as I found someone else with the same issue and they use it too (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...help-infinite-bootloop-4-3-a.html#post2962138)

So looking a the above should I try to switch to chainfire's SU ... only problem is I can't change the SU on my phone as I can't get past the lock screen (and when plugged into the computer although it recognises my N4 it doesn't seem to display anything inside it when opened) ... unless I can do it via the play store..

Is there anyway to get myself out of this mess with my appdata intact? Should I uninstall OTA Rootkeeper or SuperSU via the play store (on my PC) and see if that lets me get past the lockscreen? It's odd because everything is working fine I still see the notifications when I get emails and things - I just can't get to them to see them (other than obviously separately on my PC)...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234