TWRP and Clockwork not working after upgrading to 4.3

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
anyone else having an issue with these tools not working on their phone after the update? also trying to use them broke my phone but i was able to recovery mode it last time, hoping it will work again.

Edit: by not working, i mean all i get is a backlight screen color black, have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to reset back, then android won't boot, so i have to do oem lock and oem unlock, then run recovery to get my phone working again

Last edited:

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there an updated versions you can flash of them? I'm not using twrp but I know after 4.3 dropped cwm updated. Are you booting into recovery by holding down the power and down volume buttons and then selecting recovery?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually not flashing it, i'm using the following command:
sudo ./fastboot-linux boot recovery.img

and when I use the recovery yes I do it holding down volume while powering up, then selecting recovery mode... for some reason though it didn't work, and then I locked the bootloader, and then unlocked it again using fastboot, and poof this time it worked!

versions of recovery images i have tried booting using this method(which worked before the 4.3 update) are as follows:
openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.3-mako.img <-- this is the one i know worked before the update
openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img
recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.5-mako.img
recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-mako.img

all of them give me a blank(black) screen with the backlight on. must hold power button for about 10 seconds to reset the phone at this point.

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually not flashing it, i'm using the following command:
sudo ./fastboot-linux boot recovery.img

and when I use the recovery yes I do it holding down volume while powering up, then selecting recovery mode... for some reason though it didn't work, and then I locked the bootloader, and then unlocked it again using fastboot, and poof this time it worked!

versions of recovery images i have tried booting using this method(which worked before the 4.3 update) are as follows:
openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.3-mako.img <-- this is the one i know worked before the update
openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img
recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.5-mako.img
recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-mako.img

all of them give me a blank(black) screen with the backlight on. must hold power button for about 10 seconds to reset the phone at this point.
You can boot into cwm recovery (4.3.3) using the following (windows pc)
fastboot-windows -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img
It worked for me.

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It worked for me.

That worked with clockworkmod(recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.5-mako.img), was able to boot into it with that -c switch.

edit: Does anyone know what exactly that kernel arguments do? I was scared to run it so I googled it and it found it's legit but no explanation as to what it does.

Last edited:

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It worked for me.
anyone figured this out on a linux/ubuntu machine yet? ive been doing research, and looking around everywhere, but with no luck. i renamed my fastboot-linux to fastboot, and neither the fastboot flash or fastboot boot commands work. fastboot boot recovery.img (renamed openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img to recovery.img) leaves the phone stuck on the google loading screen (says google and has a padlock on the bottom). fastboot flash says the same thing. fastboot erase bootloader claims "erasing 'bootloader'... FAILED (remote: No Allowance on This Partition)", so flashing anything else is out of the question. yanking the battery is the only way to leave the loading screen. the phone is umlocked, but installing TWRP has been a huge problem. any psh in the right direction?

Roaders

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm having issues with this as well. I have followed the steps on this video:

How to Root Nexus 4 Running Android 4.3 [2013] - YouTube

with my Galaxy Nexus but when you go to recover I am left with the phone boot screen (just says Google in the middle with an open padlock at the bottom). It stays like that forever as far as I can tell. The only way out is to remove the battery.

I have tried both flashing the img as in the video then selecting recovery and I have tried the command here that goes to recovery without selecting it on the phone. They both give the same result.

Any help much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad