09-09-2013 02:26 PM
30 12
tools
    Ok, so heres the deal. I have an unlocked Nexus 4 with stock ROM. After the 4.3 update Ive tried to root it, but without any success; Ive tried WugFres Nexus Root Toolkit and the N-Cry Toolkit as well. In both cases, Ive used SuperSU-v1.51 (and before that, also tried 4.1 and 4.3) and with N-Cry I also used TWRP, and followed instructions outlined on various sites and on YouTube channels. (Yepp, Im a casual user when it comes to mobiles.) Yet, nothing happens or, to be correct, everything seems fine on the screen, the Nexus 4 does what it should, nonetheless no matter how many times I try, it does not flash the SuperSU, and does not root the device. It is very strange indeed, I have nothing installed that would interfere with any of the aforementioned programs and, again, it should be emphasized that everything goes well on the surface as during the process, the mobile shows what it should, reboots when it should, the TWRP works fine, etc, but in the end it does not flash the SuperSU, and remains unrooted.

It is something of a puzzle, and Im out of ideas: Ive already checked at least a dozen sites with descriptions and methods how to root the 4.3, hence Im quite aware that some security features of the new update pose considerable challenge for developers, but I find nothing as regards simply rooting the device.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Owen Marshall likes this.
    08-03-2013 05:39 PM
    Did you wipe caches and try fixing permissions?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-03-2013 06:07 PM
    Yes, I did wipe out caches. As regards fixing permissions, it's a hard nut to crack for somebody with my 'bordering on the ridiculous' knowledge in Android. There are apps that could help but most of those require an already rooted device. The Nexus Root Toolkit in the Set/Check File Permissions menu shows 0 as a value for all four groups, and no box is ticked

I forgot to mention that after buying the phone last year I faced no problems whatsoever when rooting it. But now the SuperSU is nowhere to be found on the phone, no matter how many times I try to root it. I'm getting a bit desperate having spent several hours trying to figure out what could be the problem, yet without much success.
    08-04-2013 01:04 PM
    Rooting issues are being caused by Google security changes in 4.3. You could try flashing a stock rooted rom. The following is a link to the one I used. It is built from the factory image with SuperSU and Busybox already built into the rom. Nothing else is touched with the rom. It is pure stock. It is v1.45 that is built in and you have the option to flash v1.51 after flashing the rom. My suggestion would be to just install the rom and boot to see if you are successful in retaining root. You could then update SuperSU thru the Play Store. If not successful, you can go back into recovery and try flashing v1.51. This does not flash the new bootloader and radio, but if you are successful keeping root, I will give you the link for flashable zips for those. The rom is available odexed or deodexed. The factory image is odexed. The process to flash involves booting to recovery, performing a factory data reset, flash rom, wipe caches, and then boot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010887

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    08-04-2013 02:41 PM
    If you have TWRP the copy the supersu.zip file onto your device. Go into recovery, install and flash the zip.
    08-06-2013 11:01 AM
    Also, you can fix permissions in twrp under advanced.

08-06-2013 11:05 AM
    I was having the exact same issues as McAnt. Thanks to everyone involved for posting the questions and the clear and concise explanations/solutions. They really helped!
    08-28-2013 09:30 AM
    I too have this issue and have tried every technique available that I have found online, including the toolkit and attempting to root manually. I have flashed every version of SuperSU up to the current v.1.55 as is needed to root from stock 4.3. I simply cannot regain root access!
    One strange tidbit in my current situation (which is a stock v.4.3 working fine on a Nexus 4 with stock ROM - yet without root) is that I keep getting a OTA "System update" notification wanting to "update" to 4.3 despite the fact that I am already running 4.3 and have been ever since the fist OTA release.
    I am quite confounded at this point...
    09-02-2013 04:47 PM
    I too have this issue and have tried every technique available that I have found online, including the toolkit and attempting to root manually. I have flashed every version of SuperSU up to the current v.1.55 as is needed to root from stock 4.3. I simply cannot regain root access!
    One strange tidbit in my current situation (which is a stock v.4.3 working fine on a Nexus 4 with stock ROM - yet without root) is that I keep getting a OTA "System update" notification wanting to "update" to 4.3 despite the fact that I am already running 4.3 and have been ever since the fist OTA release.
    Which recovery are you using? Did you try flashing the rom I linked above? I highly recommend using TWRP. In recovery, factory data reset, flash rom, wipe dalvik cache, flash SuperSU, and then reboot. You are probably getting the ota notification because your current stock rom does not have the current security patch applied.

09-02-2013 05:37 PM
    Let the phone do the update. It updates from version V to version Y. After that the Nexus Toolkit worked just fine for me. I just did mine about an hour ago.
    09-03-2013 10:12 AM
    I have not flashed a different ROM because I wanted to avoid doing a factory reset since I cannot currently do a backup using Titanium without root. All else in the above 2 suggestions I have done: I have TWRP recovery, I've wiped the cache, flashed SuperSU and responded to the 4.3 "Update" notifications - all several times. Note: my version still shows as JWR66V not "Y" despite these repeated "updates" to 4.3
    09-04-2013 09:48 AM
    I have not flashed a different ROM because I wanted to avoid doing a factory reset since I cannot currently do a backup using Titanium without root. All else in the above 2 suggestions I have done: I have TWRP recovery, I've wiped the cache, flashed SuperSU and responded to the 4.3 "Update" notifications - all several times. Note: my version still shows as JWR66V not "Y" despite these repeated "updates" to 4.3
    In that case you can do what I did, dirty flash the above rom in the link. You can do this because you are essentially flashing the same build with only a security patch applied. Just skip the factory data rest. Flash the rom, wipe dalvik, flash SuperSU, and reboot. If TWRP offers to fix root, make sure you deny. This actually breaks root because it is wanting to apply an older method that was before the security changes. If this method helps you to maintain root, you would just need to flash the latest radio if you so desire.

09-04-2013 10:00 AM
    Also, the other suggestion of using Wug's toolkit is a good one. It has been updated and I have been reading of success with it. You will need to connect to PC for it. Wugs's toolkit is what I initially used to root on 4.2.2.

09-04-2013 10:03 AM
    Sorry, but what do you mean by flashing the radio?
    09-04-2013 12:30 PM
    Sorry, but what do you mean by flashing the radio?
    The bootloader and radio firmware, also referred to as the modem, are not included in the linked rom. Being on the W build, you will already have the latest bootloader. However, the patch that upgrades the software from W build to J build includes new radio firmware that is not flashed with that rom. You would need to download it and flash it in recovery separately. If you decide to go that route, I can supply you with a link to download it.

09-04-2013 02:12 PM
    Would that be a decision I make after flashing this ROM? What does the radio firmware allow me to do?
    09-05-2013 12:19 PM
    Yes, after flashing the rom. The firmware is for the radio to function so you will have a signal and a data connection. You really don't have to flash it. Staying with the version you have is fine. In fact, there is a known bug in the latest that is causing some people to briefly lose signal, interfering with and dropping calls. Google is supposed to be addressing this in a future release.

09-05-2013 01:30 PM
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but: are you saying if I flash to this ROM that you link to and do not flash the radio, I will not have a data connection? This of course is not a route I would want to take.
    09-06-2013 12:49 AM
    No, I'm saying you would be fine with the radio you have. If you already flashed 4.3, you already have a newer radio. The security update bumped the radio again. If you want it, it is just a mater of flashing it in recovery.

09-06-2013 08:54 AM
    Just try Wug's toolkit if you are nervous about flashing yourself. It has been updated and will do everything for you. You just need to setup your PC for it.

09-06-2013 08:58 AM
    I have no problem with flashing. I already tried Wug's toolkit and it did not work, so I will try the ROM you linked...
    09-06-2013 10:49 AM
    Oh - and what is the difference between "odexed" and "deodexed" ? Which would I want?
    09-06-2013 11:51 AM
    Odexed is how the factory image comes. Some say the rom is slightly smoother and faster if you stay odexed. I never really notice the difference. Deodex allows for easier customization, like flashing mods and theming.

09-06-2013 12:10 PM
    Staying stock odexed will allow for future OTAs, while deodex will not. You would have to flash a similar updated rom as the one linked or a factory image and reroot

09-06-2013 12:13 PM
    In that case you can do what I did, dirty flash the above rom in the link. You can do this because you are essentially flashing the same build with only a security patch applied. Just skip the factory data rest. Flash the rom, wipe dalvik, flash SuperSU, and reboot. If TWRP offers to fix root, make sure you deny. This actually breaks root because it is wanting to apply an older method that was before the security changes. If this method helps you to maintain root, you would just need to flash the latest radio if you so desire.

So I finally got around to do exactly as you suggest above here (flash-wipe-flash-reboot with no TWRP "fix"), and while it fortunately didn't go wrong, neither did it go right - in the sense of obtaining root. Everything is just as it was except with the new version JWR66Y ROM instead of my previous "V" vers., but BusyBox or Titanium can still not access root.
    09-08-2013 09:32 PM
30 12