new 4.3 update safe for rooted phone?

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently running 4.3, rooted using SuperSU. My phone just got pushed a new update which is also called version 4.3.
I'm wondering if this update is safe? Will it break my root? will it brick my phone?

Let me know if anyone else running SuperSU has done this update safely. I just installed SuperSU on the stock ROM.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently running 4.3, rooted using SuperSU. My phone just got pushed a new update which is also called version 4.3.
I'm wondering if this update is safe? Will it break my root? will it brick my phone?

Let me know if anyone else running SuperSU has done this update safely. I just installed SuperSU on the stock ROM.
Yeah it will mess it up. Trying to find the Update.zip file to flash it via my custom recovery.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I lost root and TWRP. However, after reinstalling TWRP and re-rooting, the phone is working as before and I did not lose any data.

jgbyr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The update failed for me but something did update when the phone rebooted. I'm still on version no JWR66V. Are you now on JWR66Y?

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Last time I just installed SuperSU on top of superuser, then used root uninstaller to uninstall superuser and kept SuperSU. will Clockworkmod(twrp won't work on my phone, cwm works only with special kernel arguments) allow me to install an app if it is already installed or should I unroot my phone before updating?

Cplusplus

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just updated via the OTA, it rebooted into TWRP and after the update TWRP asked if I wan't to keep root.
After I rebooted into android I checked the superuser app (chainfire's) and it asked if I wanted to update my su binary.
If you accept this it wil update your su binary and everything works fine like before.

konrad236

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok so what I did was unroot using SuperSU's unroot option. Since I never flashed my recovery or anything, i did the OTA update after rebooting into an unrooted phone. i booted with the method in this thread since my device won't boot normally over usb any images for some reason( forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/302218-twrp-clockwork-not-working-after-upgrading-4-3-a.html ). i then using clockworkmod to install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip , which for some reason only installed su, not the app to manage and approve stuff. then I went into the play store and downloaded SuperSU. poof phone rerooted and me very happy.

thanks for your posts guys, making me feel more comfortable to upgrade:D