Rooted Nexus 4 Folders

danfm

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've just rooted my Nexus 4 using Nexus Root Toolkit NRT_v1.7.2.
I have also run the "Root checker" app which told me that "this device has root access".

I have not rooted any android device before and I am a bit confused as to what I am seeing (and not seeing) after rooting because although I have no doubt that the device got rooted I do think something is not quite right related to folders/files being shown in windows.

The only way I can see Nexus folders in Windows ( 64 bit Win 7) is if I check MTP on under storage setting and uncheck "USB debugging" under developer options setting.
What I see then is my Nex 4 connected as portable device with "Internal storage" folder in which are then directly listed 12 folders and 2 files. All of these folders are exactly the same ones that I had before rooting with exception of the TWRP folder and "!ReadyToFlash" one.
This does not look to me like I am seeing everything I should on a rooted device. I would also expect that the Nexus is connected as USB storage not as media device.

Is this how it is supposed to be ( I doubt ) and if not how can I fix that?

Can also someone please let me know what top level folders I should be seeing on a rooted Nex 4, running 4.3 android when connected to a Windows machine?

Let me also mention that any time I turn the USB debugging on, the ADB driver does how up in windows Device Manager, but as mention above when that is ON the Nexus and its folders are not being shown in the windows explorer.

Thanks

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The folder you are seeing in Windows (labelled "Internal Storage" is the /sdcard folder. That one is accessible whether you are rooted or not.

Aside from using ADB commands, I'm not sure if you can access other folders in the Android's file system via a PC.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This is what I see on my Win 7 64 bit computer running rooted Android 4.3 on the Nexus 4:

Something is not quite right related to folders/files being shown in windows.

As was previously mentioned, as I also recall, the same files show up whether rooted or not rooted, and you have to use ADB to deal with files/directories that you don't see due to permissions. You should see "Internal Storage" with a dozen or so directories.

The only way I can see Nexus folders in Windows ( 64 bit Win 7) is if I check MTP on under storage setting and uncheck "USB debugging" under developer options setting.

MTP checked is correct. If you are not seeing any files with USB debugging checked, then you don't have the drivers loaded for that, or maybe old or wrong drivers.

1) This is what I see in Device Manager with USB debugging OFF.

Heading: "Portable Devices"
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

2) In addition to the Portable Devices above, this is what I see in Device Manager with USB debugging ON.

a) Default Win 7 64 bit driver:
Heading: Google Nexus 4 ADB Interface
Driver Version: 4.0.0.0

b) I have since changed to the Google SDK packaged driver (Latest version):
Heading: Android Composite ADB Interface
Driver Version: 8.0.0.0

Let me also mention that any time I turn the USB debugging on, the ADB driver does how up in windows Device Manager, but as mention above when that is ON the Nexus and its folders are not being shown in the windows explorer.

I don't understand this, as I see the files whether debugging is on or off.

Last edited:

danfm

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
From your responses it appears that I do not have the best ADB driver. Although the Nexus Root Toolkit managed to unlock and root it, something is still wrong with the driver. I firstly tried to install the one offered in the Toolkit as "Driver solution #1 - universal driver" and when that failed I installed the "Driver solution#2 - PdaNet Drivers" after which I was able to root it.
Could you suggest me how to get a better ADB driver?

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
From my knowledge I believe only the internal storage folders are accessible through windows explorer whether you are rooted or not. I dont know if there is another program or not which will display the root folders using the adb commands which i'm pretty sure you have installed correctly. You will be able to access the root folder on your device by downloading a file explorer on your phone that allows you to see the root folders.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
^^^This^^^ Also, when connecting to PC as mtp, the N4 does not use the USB drivers you installed. It uses the mtp drivers, which is the same drivers the media player uses.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4