Rooting noob can't get 4.4 working

drummerdickens

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I am a sad panda. I rooted my Nexus 4 many moons ago and loaded up team win recovery and all that jazz, thinking it would change my life. For me I quickly realised that it was more hassle than it was worth, and I didn't bother loading any custom ROMs and the like.

Fast forward 3 months later; the 4.4 KitKat update is available. I restart my phone after downloading it when prompted and, lo and behold, it boots into Team Win.

I have no idea what I'm doing now. Ideally I want Team Win removed and replaced with the stock recovery (but I have no idea how to do this) or to use Team Win to get KitKat working. Any help? What the devil am I doing?

drummerdickens

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing - I don't even know how to flash it. I've tried - I really have. I downloaded it direct from google onto my phone. I have the zipped version of it and everything - I booted into recovery and it just fails every time. What am I doing wrong?

*Curses self for meddling with Team Win and stuff*

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking the file you downloaded wasn't a rooted version. You would need something from the link I posted above (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you wanna return to stock, take a look at this:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There are many ways to return to stock:

1. Follow the YouTube video above if you can, it's the easiest.

2. Use this guide to do it manually: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html
However, instead of the older factory image link in that thread, go here to download the 4.4 factory image for the Nexus 4: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

However, when you do this or the youtube video method, it will erase all the data in your phone, so you have to backup first. I can give more info on backing up if you need help on that.

3. You can also download modified stock roms to flash in TWRP, like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010887
This method will not wipe your data. However, you will notice that these stock roms are not 100% stock, they are rooted and have some modifications, which mean it "might" interfere with future OTA updates such as failing to install the update or getting soft bricked in the process. You have to download the "odexed" version to be it's compatible with OTA updates as well.

4. I can also create a flashable zip that will install the factory images within TWRP without wiping your data. This method use the actual factory image files and keeps everything 100% stock.

Flashing zip files in TWRP is very easy. If you downloaded the rom zip file on your phone, it will automatically be within the "Download" folder. Boot your phone into TWRP recovery, press the "Install" button. It will display a file manager to let you navigate and choose a file to flash, just navigate to the Download folder (which is located in /sdcard/Download), select the zip file and flash away.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781