Rooted Nexus 4 w/ Wugfresh. Had a problem. Do I now need to Factory reset then re-root?

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my phone for the first time yesterday using Wugfresh (amazing tool for noobs like me). I got the root done and it solved a problem I was having with Gmail, which I posted about here

I installed Cyangenmod 11, mainly because I could do it using their automated installer. Then I installed the Franco Kernel (using paid installer).

It turns out that Superuser is blocking the Franco Kernel and I can't figure out how to get it to allow. Details are in a thread I started here .

Bottom line is that someone informed me the Franco Kernel doesn't play nice with Cyanogen. In fact I am now not even sure I had to install CM to use the Franco kernel! I am really a noob at this stuff. I wanted Franco because I wanted control over the audio outputs, both headphone and speaker, Right now the phone works, but the screen is flashing at me a lot, the Cyanogen animation that is supposed to play has turned into a bunch of small vertical lines in blue, and the Swiftkey keyboard disappears intermittently when I use it for text/email.

I want to explore the rooting/modding thing. My question is this

I want to start over again, since when I first rooted the phone (before Cyanogen/Franco) it seemed fine. Do I have to use the Wugfresh Toolkit to first Factory Reset the phone, or can I just ask it to re-root? Or, if I uninstall Cyanogen and Franco, should that technically put me back at a freshly rooted phone? Did my error in installing Cyanogen and Franco change things? Would it be safer to just start all over?

Hope this is clear. I wil be back after 7 p.m. EST. Thanks.

Last edited:

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Use wugs and reflash the factory image. Try the soft brick/bootloop option.
Okay, thanks. So I assume I can try the soft brick/bootloop option if I can't get it to flash to factory just using the 'Device is on/Normal' status, correct? Or do the instabilities I'm seeing mean I should go straight to the soft bricked/bootloop option even though I can use the phone normally?

I know the answer is 'just try it' but if there's something abut Wug I don't know, I'd rather hear it here than find it by trial and error.

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The NRT is your best and easiest way to get back to a known good starting point. Once there, do your ROM of choice. BTW, faux's, hellsgod's and numerous others will give you the audio and display options you desire. You can buy everybody's individual control apps or get the paid version of Trickster Mod and work with them all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The NRT is your best and easiest way to get back to a known good starting point. Once there, do your ROM of choice. BTW, faux's, hellsgod's and numerous others will give you the audio and display options you desire. You can buy everybody's individual control apps or get the paid version of Trickster Mod and work with them all.
Thanks, that's great.

So specifically, should I 'Flash Stock + Unroot'? So get it all the way back to factory and then go through the rooting process again? Is that what I'm aiming for? I have to do that before asking NRT to root the phone again right? I feel like since the phone is unstable and I have mixed Cyanogen with Franco, I should just start all over again. Sound right?

If this is correct and I choose 'Flash stock + Unroot', there are two radio buttons for me to choose 'Current Status, 'Soft Bricked/Bootloop' and 'Device is on/Normal'. The display of my device is acting weird and it seems to be going to sleep randomly, but it is on and working. Would 'Device is on/Normal' be the right thing for me to choose?

Obviously I would not have to go through the Initial Setup which installs the drivers...

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I would try it normal. And yes you want to take it back to stock and do the custom recovery and root.

Once you get it back to stock and have it rooted with a custom recovery, do yourself a favor and do a backup. If you have a problem again, you wipe system, data and caches, then restore your stock backup.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I would try it normal. And yes you want to take it back to stock and do the custom recovery and root.

Once you get it back to stock and have it rooted with a custom recovery, do yourself a favor and do a backup. If you have a problem again, you wipe system, data and caches, then restore your stock backup.
Excellent, thanks. This was what I needed to hear. I figured as much but I'm a total noob and just wanted to confirm that the best way is to to start all over from scratch.

I will definitely do a backup this time. There's nothing on the phone that needs backing up but obviously it makes it easier when I want to re-do the process.

Can I ask one other question? You mentioned faux's and hellsgod's ROMs. So to get this straight, those are ROMs just like Cyanogenmod is. So there's not *necessarily* a need to install a kernel like Franco to get control over the audio? It can be accomplished by rooting and then installing a custom ROM?

I sure hope this question makes sense. Probably it doesn't, and if so, it's an issue with my incomplete understanding of what ROM vs. kernel are.

Basically I thought a ROM is just a custom version of the Android OS and a kernel is... well, a kernel; that is, a part of the Custom ROM.

I guess I need to read a 'Rooting for Dummies'. I'm sure there's one at

www.google.com

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try this late tonight.

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Excellent, thanks. This was what I needed to hear. I figured as much but I'm a total noob and just wanted to confirm that the best way is to to start all over from scratch.

I will definitely do a backup this time. There's nothing on the phone that needs backing up but obviously it makes it easier when I want to re-do the process.

Can I ask one other question? You mentioned faux's and hellgod's ROMs. So to get this straight, those are ROMs just like Cyanogenmod is. So there's not *necessarily* a need to install a kernel like Franco to get control over the audio? It can be accomplished by rooting and then installing a custom ROM?

I sure hope this question makes sense. Probably it doesn't, and if so, it's an issue with my incomplete understanding of what ROM vs. kernel are.

Basically I thought a ROM is just a custom version of the Android OS and a kernel is... well, a kernel; that is, a part of the Custom ROM.

I guess I need to read a 'Rooting for Dummies. I'm sure there's one at

www.google.com

Those are kernels as Franco's is a kernel. Not all kernels support stock configurations and not all kernels have versions that support CM ROMs. Of you run an AOSP ROM, use a stock based kernel. If you use a CM based ROM, make sure you grab a CM (or CAF) supported kernel. You then flash the ROM and then the kernel. Some ROMs already include kernels with the features you desire so there's no need to use a third party kernel. You have some homework to do.

ph37rd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Can I ask one other question? You mentioned faux's and hellsgod's ROMs. So to get this straight, those are ROMs just like Cyanogenmod is. So there's not *necessarily* a need to install a kernel like Franco to get control over the audio? It can be accomplished by rooting and then installing a custom ROM?

I guess I need to read a 'Rooting for Dummies'. I'm sure there's one at

www.google.com

In very simple terms, the kernel resides between the ROM and hardware. All ROMs need a kernel to boot so they're built in, but they can be overwritten with a third party kernel that has other or additional features. Hellsgod's hellscore kernel will give you decent performance and great battery life with a lot of other bells and whistles. Just not going to find bleeding edge as he prefers stability and not just the latest fad feature.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Those are kernels as Franco's is a kernel. Not all kernels support stock configurations and not all kernels have versions that support CM ROMs. Of you run an AOSP ROM, use a stock based kernel. If you use a CM based ROM, make sure you grab a CM (or CAF) supported kernel. You then flash the ROM and then the kernel. Some ROMs already include kernels with the features you desire so there's no need to use a third party kernel. You have some homework to do.
Excellent, thank you. I understand. I will be on Google getting all this figured out and will try another ROM tonight unless I can figure out that CM can provide me with what I need. It's just that CM is so easy because of the automated installer. But my phone isn't exactly stable so I have to figure out why that is (hopefully just because of the known incompatibility between CM and Franco).

Thanks for taking the time.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
In very simple terms, the kernel resides between the ROM and hardware. All ROMs need a kernel to boot so they're built in, but they can be overwritten with a third party kernel that has other or additional features. Hellsgod's hellscore kernel will give you decent performance and great battery life with a lot of other bells and whistles. Just not going to find bleeding edge as he prefers stability and not just the latest fad feature.

See, that's exactly what I want, because I'm not looking for bleeding edge at all. However, I do want to optimize my phone as much as I can. My cell phone is actually my only phone and it's my business phone so I need it working. I am considering getting another one so I can tinker with this one.

Okay, looks like hellsgod's kernel is worth a try for me. I am assuming that it runs with AOSP as opposed to CM, but I'll find out tonight.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say that depending on what audio tweaks you want to make there is no need to go with a custom ROM. Once you have rooted your phone you can download xposed framework and the gravity box module. It has a lot of audio tweaks (and other tweaks) that all run on Stock.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I just want to say that depending on what audio tweaks you want to make there is no need to go with a custom ROM. Once you have rooted your phone you can download xposed framework and the gravity box module. It has a lot of audio tweaks (and other tweaks) that all run on Stock.
Okay, thanks a lot. That's good to know. The #1 thing I want to do is see if I can get more output out of the speakerphone function. Some tweaks to headphone output and maybe a bit more output at the earpiece would be nice as well.

I don't expect much (anything really) out of the built in speaker in terms of actual sound quality for listening to music, and it always puzzles me when people get into raging debates about which speakerphones are the best. They're all basically bad. I evenbought an HTC One just to hear the speakers and it was... pretty bad. Good audio quality is my HD650s : )

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted you to know that I was able to install Xposed framework and then Gravitybox. It's up and running right now. It's going to take me a while to look through all the modules available to me. I'm hoping to find a few for IPS display optimization as well. That and the audio tweaks will basically take care of everything I was aware that I wanted. I guess I might find some other stuff too.

Thanks a lot for making me aware of this! And thank goodness for these devs who make the whole thing work flawlessly without having to use a cmd screen.

Last edited:

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
If gravity box isn't responding uninstall the module in closed then reboot the phone. Reinstall the module and reboot the phone again.
I apologize. I was getting that error and was about to ask you about it, and started that post, then figured I'd better try to figure it out myself first. I got the solution and made it happen. I just forgot to delete that text from the post. Thanks though.

Just playing with it now and really enjoying it. Can't wait to see what some of the other modules offer.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Xposed framework is awesome IMO. It allows you to tweak your phone without doing any permanent damage. Haha. I have spent a lot of time messing with things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae