Question about how to proceed in order to try Cyanogenmod on the Nexus 4

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi community,

first of all I'm quite It literate in some areas. But when it comes to rooting I'm still a noob. I'd really like to try Cyangenmod on my Nexus 4. This is the environment I'm working in.

Mac OS X10.9.2
Android Device Manager and a USB connection into my phone (I need to back my whole phone up, what program can write onto the Mac via USB cable?)
Nexus 4 running KitKat

I've got auto backup activated with Viber and WhatsApp folders. Google contacts etc. are synced so that should be ok.

I want my whole phone with all settings etc. to be backed up. I couldn't find enough valid information to know if a USB cable into the laptop is the same as one of those OTG adapters for SD cards.

Your help would be appreciated. If I could backup all my stuff and then install Cyangenmod via website that'd be ideal. Could I in case of not liking restore to factory Android and then simply install my backup again?

Your help on this specific matter for my circumstances is hugely appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question about how to proceed in order to try Cyangenmod on the Nexus 4

Hi community,

first of all I'm quite It literate in some areas. But when it comes to rooting I'm still a noob. I'd really like to try Cyangenmod on my Nexus 4. This is the environment I'm working in.

Mac OS X10.9.2
Android Device Manager and a USB connection into my phone (I need to back my whole phone up, what program can write onto the Mac via USB cable?)
Nexus 4 running KitKat

I've got auto backup activated with Viber and WhatsApp folders. Google contacts etc. are synced so that should be ok.

I want my whole phone with all settings etc. to be backed up. I couldn't find enough valid information to know if a USB cable into the laptop is the same as one of those OTG adapters for SD cards.

Your help would be appreciated. If I could backup all my stuff and then install Cyangenmod via website that'd be ideal. Could I in case of not liking restore to factory Android and then simply install my backup again?

Your help on this specific matter for my circumstances is hugely appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
In this case, the fact you have a Mac is irrelevant, most of the AIO tool kits that do backups and stuff are not very reliable... I tried it when I initially unlocked my phone and wound up having to wipe again and restore manually anyways.

In a locked, unrooted device, there is no "whole phone backup"... you will have to backup the pieces that you want that are important (SMS, pics, contacts, etc) and any app settings or other stuff you wish, but without root access there is no way to do a complete phone backup. And even when you do have and root and do this, restoring it is questionable as well, especially between ROMs, for example, NEVER restore apps and settings (especially system settings) between ROMs, if you are stock and want to go to CM11, that's fine, but reinstall and setup everything manually, then restore the data (SMS, pics, other files) and go. If you are going to test ROMs, fully expect to get your device wiped clean multiple times, it is part of the process and backup and restore between ROMs is rather questionable at times... even when it works, it can cause underlying issues that look like something else (battery drain, random reboots and FCs).

Oh, and the OTG thing is completely irrelevant, the N4 doesn't support OTG... there are custom kernels that have OTG support, but the N4 still doesn't have the hardware to provide power to OTG devices, so to use OTG you need a kernel that supports it and a OTG Host cable with power.

Best bet is to backup everything you need and move it off the phone, unlock (will wipe everything), install a custom recovery like TWRP, perform a nandroid (recovery) backup, and move ahead.

BTW, if you are scared of losing data or wiping your device, then ROMing may not be the thing of you... it is very common to have to wipe your device multiple times, even on the same ROM, and sometimes without warning. If you are going to try the custom ROM thing, it's fun and can be very productive, but you will get your device wiped and will lose stuff once in a while. Every Android user should be ready for a device wipe all the time, seriously, often updates go bad and the first step is often a FDR to fix it.

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

Hey acejavelin. Ok so I got a step further. I used ADB to backup all files apps and settings. Now I'm gonna copy everything from my phone via Android File Manager over to my desktop folder and then will even try the clockworkmod recovery.

Then I'll flash the CM11. Not caring so much about text messages. Will keep you posted. Also downloading official ROMs for recoveries back to stock.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Don't forget that once you get root and CWM installed and you are on KitKat, the stock operating system will replace CWM with the stock recovery on every boot until you delete or rename /system/recovery-from-boot.p in the phone. Just rename it to /system/recovery-from-boot..p.old so it doesn't run. Once you are unlocked it is easy to push the recovery via adb anytime though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira