Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protectors

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Recieve my spigen glas tr an hour ago.
Installed in 5 minutes
Spent 30 minutes trying to remove same bulbs from the bottom of the phone.
Tried constant pressure for 2 to 3 minutes at time
Tried contant pressure and squeegeeing for 2 to 3 minutes at time
The bulbs would shrink and disappear then slowly start from again.
I give spg glas tr 24 hours and before I removes the glas tr protector.

I am going back to the spg film protectors if I am not convinced that another spg glas tr will fair better. This is very unfortunate that spigen seem to have an issue with this particular product for the N5.

20131106_115150.jpg
20131106_115318_HDR.jpg
20131106_115247_HDR.jpg

Pictuces taken by a retired S3.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a few people from XDA are having the same trouble.
Spigen Nexus 5 Screen Protector GLAS.t SLIM - xda-developers

A spigen rep told of one the xda users to put weight on their nexus 5 to apply the screen protector. Regardless if that works that is inexcusable action to take for a product that simply is not installing as advertised. However going give it try and I have installed the spg glas tr an hour and half ago. I now have N5 face down in my room with weight on top of phone. A beanie in between my nexus 5 and paper hole punch and small bag of rice on top of brand new Nexus 5 this is pathetic. I love using my Nexus and I am going set it aside to apply a screen protector. This sucks. How long am I gong to do this until I can stand not using my phone.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Recieve my spigen glas tr an hour ago.
Installed in 5 minutes
Spent 30 minutes trying to remove same bulbs from the bottom of the phone.
Tried constant pressure for 2 to 3 minutes at time
Tried contant pressure and squeegeeing for 2 to 3 minutes at time
The bulbs would shrink and disappear then slowly start from again.
I give spg glas tr 24 hours and before I removes the glas tr protector.

I am going back to the spg film protectors if I am not convinced that another spg glas tr will fair better. This is very unfortunate that spigen seem to have an issue with this particular product for the N5.

View attachment 90459
View attachment 90460
View attachment 90461

Pictuces taken by a retired S3.

Just wondering. Is that a spigen neo hybrid case you have on the nexus 5? how does it fit with the tempered glass?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
A spigen rep told of one the xda users to put weight on their nexus 5 to apply the screen protector. Regardless if that works that is inexcusable action to take for a product that simply is not installing as advertised. However going give it try and I have installed the spg glas tr an hour and half ago. I now have N5 face down in my room with weight on top of phone. A beanie in between my nexus 5 and paper hole punch and small bag of rice on top of brand new Nexus 5 this is pathetic. I love using my Nexus and I am going set it aside to apply a screen protector. This sucks. How long am I gong to do this until I can stand not using my phone.

If the shape/flatness of the manufactured glass does not inherently form fit to the screen such that it will adhere easily and evenly, applying pressure will not likely be a good long-term solution. Over time the silicon, if there is any 'lifting' force by the glass to return to its natural shape, will release from the screen. This complaint about the SP has been nearly uniform and universal, with the same localized point of failure referenced in nearly every thread commenting on failure (and I have yet to read one of complete success).

Hopefully Spigen's management will have the vision to fix the issue for its customers, and (if they manufacture these themselves) absorb the loss in recognition of the long term benefit of not alienating what is generally a loyal client base in a business whose sales volume is heavily influenced by word of mouth/web, or (if they have them produced for them) seek recovery from the OEM for delivering to them (and their subsequent delivery to the end consumer) a faulty product.

dvrmstrng

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a Spigen rep tell me to place weight such as a book on the screen protector and that it "generally takes about 1 week" for the adhesive to finish applying. Is that a joke?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If the shape/flatness of the manufactured glass does not inherently form fit to the screen such that it will adhere easily and evenly, applying pressure will not likely be a good long-term solution. Over time the silicon, if there is any 'lifting' force by the glass to return to its natural shape, will release from the screen. This complaint about the SP has been nearly uniform and universal, with the same localized point of failure referenced in nearly every thread commenting on failure (and I have yet to read one of complete success).

Hopefully Spigen's management will have the vision to fix the issue for its customers, and (if they manufacture these themselves) absorb the loss in recognition of the long term benefit of not alienating what is generally a loyal client base in a business whose sales volume is heavily influenced by word of mouth/web, or (if they have them produced for them) seek recovery from the OEM for delivering to them (and their subsequent delivery to the end consumer) a faulty product.
Logical statement for me to believe and true I had little face on on solution as well because some reasons you have explained. I just was going off second hand info of what supposedly spg rep was giving as remedy for glas tr issue.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Slim Armor case actually and fits perfectly actually just hairline of gap around the edges between the rubber edge of the case and the spg glas tr.
ehh. i bought the neo hybrid and the tr slim. i hope i dont have any issues with the case being too snug for the screen protector....if it even stays on.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
ehh. i bought the neo hybrid and the tr slim. i hope i dont have any issues with the case being too snug for the screen protector....if it even stays on.

I had the Neo Hybrid with the Glas.tR protector and they fit fine together, however I will say "had" the case because the usb cutout is relatively small and only a couple of my micro-usb cables fit into it as well as the micro usb cutout has a fairly sharp edge that kept digging into my pinky as that tends to be where my pinky is when holding the phone. Returning it for something else.

As for the XDA member putting weight on it, I believe he already said that he tried that overnight and it lifted right off in the morning. I ordered an Xtreme Guard off their website (Xtreme Guard) with a code someone posted on the forums (spooky80) and ended up paying somewhere around $1.40 for it. It'll be a good temp protector until either Spigen gets this one working right or I get the Rhino Shield I preordered. Hopefully Spigen gets this fixed cause that's my preference, but the Rhino Shield is damned impressive (Evolutive Labs). Links there for anyone interested.

dvrmstrng

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Spigen is sending me a replacement screen protector. The advisor stated although the directions don't state it specifically, large bubbles that cannot be pushed to the edges will remove themselves in several days time. I guess I'll give it a second try.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I my Nexus 5 is back in it's Slim Armor case and will be returning the glas tr the following week if I don't see a change.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the Neo Hybrid with the Glas.tR protector and they fit fine together, however I will say "had" the case because the usb cutout is relatively small and only a couple of my micro-usb cables fit into it as well as the micro usb cutout has a fairly sharp edge that kept digging into my pinky as that tends to be where my pinky is when holding the phone. Returning it for something else.

As for the XDA member putting weight on it, I believe he already said that he tried that overnight and it lifted right off in the morning. I ordered an Xtreme Guard off their website (Xtreme Guard) with a code someone posted on the forums (spooky80) and ended up paying somewhere around $1.40 for it. It'll be a good temp protector until either Spigen gets this one working right or I get the Rhino Shield I preordered. Hopefully Spigen gets this fixed cause that's my preference, but the Rhino Shield is damned impressive (Evolutive Labs). Links there for anyone interested.

this is all for the nexus 5? i remember reading a thread on xda about someone who already had the case. the usb cutout was pretty damn big lol

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Yep, all Nexus 5.

I should rephrase, the cutout is decent size, but when the phone is in the case it restricts cable size. I have a collection of micro usb cables I've accumulated and ended up finding a couple on top of the one that comes with the N5 that would work, but I'd say about half of my cables won't fit in with the case the way it is.

Slapped the case on to take a couple of pics of what I'm talking about. In the third one, it's a little tough but you can see the gold glint from the connector not being seated and the second pic shows the cable pushed in about as far as it can go.

IMG_20131106_170940.jpgIMG_20131106_170845.jpgIMG_20131106_170858.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Yep, all Nexus 5.

I should rephrase, the cutout is decent size, but when the phone is in the case it restricts cable size. I have a collection of micro usb cables I've accumulated and ended up finding a couple on top of the one that comes with the N5 that would work, but I'd say about half of my cables won't fit in with the case the way it is.

Slapped the case on to take a couple of pics of what I'm talking about. In the third one, it's a little tough but you can see the gold glint from the connector not being seated and the second pic shows the cable pushed in about as far as it can go.

View attachment 90482View attachment 90483View attachment 90484

Awesome man. thanks for the pics and info!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had a successful install of the spg glas try?

I just received mine (GLAS.tR SLIM). Was going to try it in the hopes that mine (had just ordered) might have been from a fresher or luckier batch, but noticed what is potentially another flaw in mine that has me thinking I'll just return it before I even try, and wait a bit longer for things to be worked out...

Spigen GLAStR SLIM.jpg

I hadn't removed either of the film strips protecting the glass and noticed that little bubble, at the center of which is a tiny point that is likely a mote of dust or something. My concern is that if it is on the screen-facing side, there will be no way to remove it without damaging the adherent silicon.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just received mine (GLAS.tR SLIM). Was going to try it in the hopes that mine (had just ordered) might have been from a fresher or luckier batch, but noticed what is potentially another flaw in mine that has me thinking I'll just return it before I even try, and wait a bit longer for things to be worked out...

View attachment 90586

I hadn't removed either of the film strips protecting the glass and noticed that little bubble, at the center of which is a tiny point that is likely a mote of dust or something. My concern is that if it is on the screen-facing side, there will be no way to remove it without damaging the adherent silicon.

That's unfortunate and shows little bit of quality issue in processing.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
So unfortunately my glas.tr has the same bubble problem everyone else is having.....any steps i should take to get a new one? i already tried emailing them on their website. bought mine through amazon

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So unfortunately my glas.tr has the same bubble problem everyone else is having.....any steps i should take to get a new one? i already tried emailing them on their website. bought mine through amazon

Where are your bubbles at are they small or they big?

Have any pictures?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm