Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protectors

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Based on my experience with a lot of different film (both wet- and dry-application style) protectors for numerous phones and tablets, and then on using a tempered glass SP for my Nexus 7, I will never go back to traditional film protectors.

Pros:
  • As easy installation (or easier) as any film protector
  • Substantially better protection vs impact
  • Extreme scratch resistance (8H-9H hardness)
  • Don't yellow, stretch, or show wear through normal use
  • Perfectly transparent with no 'rainbow' effect
  • feels just like the actual glass screen - because it is glass
  • Can be easily removed and reapplied if needed
Cons:
  • far more expensive than 'good' traditional screen protectors
  • Slightly thicker (though at 0.26mm thick, it's almost imperceptible)

Spigen is producing two different styles for the N5:
Amazon.com: SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.t SLIM] Slim and Lightweight Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear - GLAS.t SLIM: Electronics - $27.99
Amazon.com: SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.tR SLIM] Slim and Lightweight Rounded Edge Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear - GLAS.tR SLIM: Electronics - $34.99

Tough to say exactly what the differences are, as the Amazon site didn't make it fully clear. Both are oleophobic, which is certainly nice. Other than what seems to be an obvious difference in rounding of the corners on the GLAS-tR model, it appears from looking at the emphasized points on the packaging pictures that that unit might also be slightly more scratch-impervious (a pro) and not as thin (a con). A call to Spigen didn't reveal any more insight at this time from the rep with whom I spoke, so I'm hoping for more detail when it actually emerges on Spigen's site.

I'm sure others will produce these as well - I'm using the one by iBlason on my N7 (2013) tablet, so expect they might follow suit with the N5. Yes, they're a lot more expensive, but, imo, well worth the price.

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, you've successfully perked my interest :) I'm generally not a fan of screen protectors, but I'm even less of a fan of even the tiniest of scratches.The feel of most screen protectors is what really turns me off, so I generally just throw a cheap one on when I'll be near sand etc. and still want to bring my phone (aka the beach). That bumper/clear backed case might be a good purchase as I'm REALLY liking the white tuxedo Nexus 5. I'm not sure why as I never liked past tuxedo Nexus devices...but this one looks really good. I don't want white on the front, so yeah, it works.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Could you provide some more insight on the installation? I've always gone the traditional route because of the ability to easily remove dust with scotch tape, if something happens during installation. Are tempered glass protectors simply more rigid, but still pliable enough to use tape to remove dust?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The glass (at least the one I've used, from i-Blason for the N7) is coated on the device-facing side with a silicon type material that adheres to the screen. When I put it on my N7, I did the same thing I always do - run the shower on hot in the bathroom for about 10 minutes, then let the room sit for about 15 minutes (the steam settling traps dust in the air), then applied the protector, so there wasn't any dust issue.

Basically, being relatively inflexible, it's easy to line up the glass along the bottom edge of the device. Once I did that, I just lowered it down on that 'hinge' and the glass effectively drew itself onto the screen. There were a couple of bubbles, but those easily swept out. I suspect that on a smaller (5" vs 7") screen it would be even easier.

You can lift up and remove the protector by just pulling - slowly - on an edge near a corner with a fingernail. The glass is thin enough that it has enough flexibility to make it a non-issue. I will say that I haven't had the need to remove and reapply it, so haven't, as it's been flawless, so I can't attest to how 'perfect' subsequent reapplications might be if you had to, for example, do a warranty exchange on teh device.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with a lot of different film (both wet- and dry-application style) protectors for numerous phones and tablets, and then on using a tempered glass SP for my Nexus 7, I will never go back to traditional film protectors.

Pros:
  • As easy installation (or easier) as any film protector
  • Substantially better protection vs impact
  • Extreme scratch resistance (8H-9H hardness)
  • Don't yellow, strech, or show wear through normal use
  • Perfectly transparent with no 'rainbow' effect
  • feels just like the actual glass screen - because it is glass
  • Can be easily removed and reapplied if needed
Cons:
  • far more expensive than 'good' traditional screen protectors
  • Slightly thicker (though at 0.26mm thick, it's almost imperceptible)

Spigen is producing two different styles for the N5:
Amazon.com: SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.t SLIM] Slim and Lightweight Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear - GLAS.t SLIM: Electronics - $27.99
Amazon.com: SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.tR SLIM] Slim and Lightweight Rounded Edge Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear - GLAS.tR SLIM: Electronics - $34.99

Tough to say exactly what the differences are, as the Amazon site didn't make it fully clear. Both are oleophobic, which is certainly nice. Other than what seems to be an obvious difference in rounding of the corners on the GLAS-tR model, it appears from looking at the emphasized points on the packaging pictures that that unit might also be slightly more scratch-impervious (a pro) and not as thin (a con). A call to Spigen didn't reveal any more insight at this time from the rep with whom I spoke, so I'm hoping for more detail when it actually emerges on Spigen's site.

I'm sure others will produce these as well - I'm using the one by iBlason on my N7 (2013) tablet, so expect they might follow suit with the N5. Yes, they're a lot more expensive, but, imo, well worth the price.

Are these getting better because previous experience with that SGP tempered glass was pretty bad. Sensitivity on the edges was awful.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are these getting better because previous experience with that SGP tempered glass was pretty bad. Sensitivity on the edges was awful.

I've only used iBlason's, so can't speak to product quality on Spigen SGP (though one reason I posted this was to hopefully get feedback from its past users). I had no sensitivity or accuracy issues from the SP on the Nexus 7 - but then again, there's a much larger bezel framing the display section, so it's not a good representative sample to comment from in that regard.

I would expect that thinness of the glass would be of paramount importance to proper conductivity, and at about 1/100th of an inch thick the SP shouldn't pose much of a problem.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using a Spigen SGP glass screen protector and can state with confidence that I will never go back to film screen protectors. They are expensive, but well worth the money spent.

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm going have to try one on my next phone. You guys talked me into it.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I never tried spg glas tr screen protector but I have owned few of their other products and have been pleased. In addition to the spg glas tr I also order spg smooth black armor slim case. I will get spg products next tuesday and hopefully within month or two a Nexus 5 will follow.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I suspect the sensitivity and quality of the digitizer on the phone also has something to do with this. I know people had issues with them on the HTC One, but only over the home and back buttons. It is possible that areas that could be prone to accidental touches (i.e. the edges of the screen or capacitive buttons) could be tuned to be less sensitive on some devices, causing issues with glass screen protectors.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to wait. I have been using BestSkinsEver for years, and never had a problem.
If the feel of a film SP doesn't bother you - or if you actually prefer it - then that absolutely makes sense.. There's a lot of really good film options out there that have excellent performance. The tempered glass SP's are very expensive, relatively speaking - I only threw this out here because I suspected many who might be interested in maintaining the native feel of the device who were unaware of them.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll go ahead and get a set. You can never be too careful, and I'm saving money on the phone itself vs. another unlocked phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll go ahead and get a set. You can never be too careful, and I'm saving money on the phone itself vs. another unlocked phone.

Agreed. Aside from the performance 'feel' factor, two sticks bundled together are less likely to snap than one stick with wrapping paper. Just waiting for clarification from Spigen (or reviewers) as to the specific differences.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Aside from the performance 'feel' factor, two sticks bundled together are less likely to snap than one stick with wrapping paper. Just waiting for clarification from Spigen (or reviewers) as to the specific differences.

Just based off the the Item Desc. it seems like the main difference between the two are the rounded edges, as you already said. I know before some swore by the rounded edges to prevent chipping over time. Hardness looks to be the same between the two as well.

Have you looked at reviews for them for other devices to see if anyone mentions any other differences?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just based off the the Item Desc. it seems like the main difference between the two are the rounded edges, as you already said. I know before some swore by the rounded edges to prevent chipping over time. Hardness looks to be the same between the two as well.

Have you looked at reviews for them for other devices to see if anyone mentions any other differences?

The reason I suspect there may be other differences is from the descriptions / images: the 't' model highlights its .26 mm thickness both in copy and on the packaging material whereas the 'tR' model makes no mention, and the 'tR' model highlights "extreme" and denotes "9H" on the packaging as its premier point. Of course, this could just be bad copywriting, which is terribly common in Amazon's product listings.

I hadn't checked Spigen's earlier offerings to map changes - good call, will look into it when I get a chance and update if I find clarification.

Edit - looked at the GS4 offering details on their site. They were specific about the 'tR' thickness (.23mm) but vague about the 't,' so no confirmation there. The big difference is it the additional disclaimer they make for the 't' model:

*As this is a glass product, please note that the edges of the glass are the most vulnerable areas. We highly recommend that you use a case along with your GLAS.t SLIM to avoid chipping or cracking the edges of your GLAS.t SLIM

So basically, if you're not planning on using a case, pony up the extra $7 for the GLAS.tR. If you are planning on a case... well, still don't know if there's other advantages one way or the other.

Further edit:

Spigen's guarantee does not cover against your screwing up installation, and they do not advise reapplying it; rather, they have a 'low-cost' replacement policy should you need to replace it do to user error, or if it should crack in the course of protecting your device, for up to a year. Looking at what it runs on the other devices in the series, it appears to be roughly 60% of the normal Amazon pricing.

Could you provide some more insight on the installation?
Found this video review / install guide on the GS4 version

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The reason I suspect there may be other differences is from the descriptions / images: the 't' model highlights its .26 mm thickness both in copy and on the packaging material whereas the 'tR' model makes no mention, and the 'tR' model highlights "extreme" and denotes "9H" on the packaging as its premier point. Of course, this could just be bad copywriting, which is terribly common in Amazon's product listings.

I hadn't checked Spigen's earlier offerings to map changes - good call, will look into it when I get a chance and update if I find clarification.

I see.

I'm just assuming the additional "R" is for rounded. It is comforting that they offer a slight discount on a replacement piece should something go wrong, though I'm sure it'll be fine.

Since these are not shipping just yet, I had bought their basic clear ones in the interim. I was surprised that it was only $8.99 for a 3-pack, as I'm used to paying around $12-13 for a two-pack from them. First time I've had the accessories before the phone is even announced =[

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm just assuming the additional "R" is for rounded.

Looking at the specs on the 't' vs 'tR' for the Note 3 (on their Amazon product page), they specify that the 'tR' is 0.4 mm, and that the 't' is 0.26mm - and referenced as being 35% slimmer. Well.... 0.4mm less 35% leaves 0.26mm.

Fast forward to the same respective models for the Nexus 5. The 'tR' doesn't indicate thickness, but the 't' is only 0.26mm and listed as "35% slimmer and lighter than the previous model." Short of direct confirmation to the contrary, I think it's reasonable to presume that the 'tR' model is 0.4mm thick (which makes sense to a degree - if you're going to be able to roll the edges without their becoming too thin at a point, you may need to start with a slightly thicker slab).

So 't' looks to be the best option if you plan on using a case (thinner, lighter glass, inappropriate w/o a case as the exposed edges are more susceptible to chipping; while the 'tR' is best without a case.

That being said, it looks like they have a new series of 'NANO.SLIM" they introduced for the GS4 and iPhones (but not (yet?) for Nexus), running as thin as 0.15mm. While it would be the most stealth install, and should cover against scratches as well, I suspect it wouldn't do as well vs. impact - depends on what you're looking for.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon