Headphones for Nexus 5

Ratbert

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
As far as I can tell, there are no headphones supplied with the nexus 5.

Does the '5 use the standard 4 way 3.5mm jack and does it work with headset mic's?

I'd be surprised if not, but I need to order some new buds (lost my old GNex ones) and need to know what will work. If you have some bud recommendations, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks,
Ratbert.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Headphones for nexus 5

I am a HUGE fan of Westone. I can't remember exactly what model it is, but VERY similar to their Westone 2 earbuds. AMAZING sound quality. They have 2 seperate drivers one for bass and one for mid/highs. They have 3 and possibly 4 driver series. There are some other excellent choices but I haven't owned them. I have had my Westones for...4 years now or so, not one problem. I always check out earphonesolutions, they have the best selection of listening products.

smithy05

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Just found out today that my old Nokia Purity in ear headphones work for the Nexus 5, including the volume up and down!

Might be worth considering Windows Phone headsets if the volume feature is useful to you.

I tried an iPhone compatible set and the volume buttons don't work.

Posted via Android Central App

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i love the Apple iPhone headset. a great value at $29 IMO. sleek, light, durable, high quality, good sound, inexpensive, with microphone/click button, and easily purchased and replaceable. and this is the only Apple product i've ever bought in my life!

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

they also have the in-ear version for $79 if you're into that -

Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that apples jack contacts on the pin are reversed. An example is the 3.5mm headphone jack silver contacts on the post that plugs into the device. Those are actually reversed so to keep you from buying non apple accessories.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that apples jack contacts on the pin are reversed. An example is the 3.5mm headphone jack silver contacts on the post that plugs into the device. Those are actually reversed so to keep you from buying non apple accessories.

my iPhone headsets have worked flawlessly on my OG HTC EVO 4G and my Sprint G-Nex.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Hmm... Must have been a bogus piece of information that said otherwise. Thank you

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm thinking of getting Jax headphones from Moto maker site to match the bumper case when they are available.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I use the bose ie2 headphones. The typical ear buds fall out of my ears about once a day. I've owned these bose for two months and they've fallen out maybe five times. They sound excellent and I rarely have to turn them up past 50% volume even when I'm walking past traffic. They are expensive but if you buy them bose the warranty is a one year period for a free replacement and past a year it's 50% for a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Mister Android123

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I agree. I haven't been able to find anything better than the Apple earpod. For 30 bucks it is definitely worth it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I haven't been able to find anything better than the Apple earpod. For 30 bucks it is definitely worth it.

yeah comfortable and the click button works too - it accepts and ends calls on Nexus 5.

Last edited:

alis123

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

I have puregear headsets...and they really work well...I have been using them since last year and I have not faced any such issue with them yet...its very easy to switch from music to calls and It does not even allow the outer noise to create disturbance too....not much expensive too...got for $ 24 shipped from fommy...so I would recommend this one and would say its worth of cost too...
Thanks !!!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Hi qnet, can you also accept calls, have 'fast forward', or 'skip track' with these headphones?

I haven't had a chance to use them for phone calls. They will skip forward and back through tracks, with double and triple clicks, but it' tricky and doesn't work consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just found out today that my old Nokia Purity in ear headphones work for the Nexus 5, including the volume up and down!

Might be worth considering Windows Phone headsets if the volume feature is useful to you.

I just noticed this too and am pretty excited about it! Totally wasn't expecting the controls to work since they didn't for my Nexus 4. :D

mhofert

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

@SMITHY05, Choorp: It would be helpful to know exactly the headphone model (maybe incl. a picture) and, especially, the type of apps/pieces of software that your headset is working with.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

@SMITHY05, Choorp: It would be helpful to know exactly the headphone model (maybe incl. a picture) and, especially, the type of apps/pieces of software that your headset is working with.

These are the ones I own, the on-ear cyan model: Nokia Purity by Monster

Just did some quick testing and found the playback controls worked with Google Music, YouTube, and Pocket Casts. I'm sure it'll work with everything else as well. Volume control works everywhere. Even without anything playing and sitting at the homescreen, it does still change the volume.

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

yeah comfortable and the click button works too - it accepts and ends calls on Nexus 5.

I had a new pair of Apple earpods that came with a my wife's new 5c. Audio controls do not work with the Nexus 5. Sound is fine, but up down volume and pause button have no effect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance