So I put my week old nexus 5 on the wireless charging pad (LG WCP-300) last night when I went to bed, woke up a couple of hours later to find the screen was totally screwed. Horizontal lines (almost a grid actually), very dark, and the colors were way off. I used this exact charger with my nexus 4, along with the Energizer pad and the LG WCP-700 pad, and had no issues. I also have a Nokia DT-910 charging stand that I've been using at work with the NX5 since I got it last week. The things that make me wonder if this was caused by the pad(s)/stand are A.The phone was fine when I put it on the pad. B. Today at work, the screen will get intermittently worse while on the Nokia stand. It even flashes, changes colors, etc.

I have a replacement nexus 5 coming, but I don't want to kill that screen by using an unapproved charger. I know that Jerry used the Nokia 900 pad and the LG 300 in his "wireless charger shootout" a few months ago, and had no problems, even crowning the Nokia pad the winner! Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the Nokia stand is the only new thing in the equation, and I remember how the Nokia pad didn't charge early NX4s.

TL;DR - Is it possible for a Qi stand/pad to have caused my nexus 5 screen to die?
    11-12-2013 02:12 PM
    Can't see how. I'm using a cheap generic qi charger on mine and I can't replicate your 'feature'.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-12-2013 03:49 PM
    Logically, I know you're right and I'm probably worried over nothing. But the phone goes bananas when I put it on the Nokia stand. And stops freaking out the second it's removed. Maybe it didn't cause the screen damage, but is exaggerating it? I dunno... I just hate to use the Nokia with the replacement phone if there's even the slightest chance that it will damage it. I doubt el Goog will be as accomodating replacing a second phone for the same reason.
    11-13-2013 07:44 AM
    Logically, I know you're right and I'm probably worried over nothing. But the phone goes bananas when I put it on the Nokia stand. And stops freaking out the second it's removed. Maybe it didn't cause the screen damage, but is exaggerating it? I dunno... I just hate to use the Nokia with the replacement phone if there's even the slightest chance that it will damage it. I doubt el Goog will be as accomodating replacing a second phone for the same reason.
    Qi is a standard, the chargers you listed have all been approved by the standard. It sounds like something wrong in the with charging circuit in your phone, maybe a short or something unshielded, but it's doubtful that a charger caused it when you said you get the same effect on multiple chargers.

jon_stewart likes this.
    11-13-2013 08:38 AM
    Qi is a standard, the chargers you listed have all been approved by the standard. It sounds like something wrong in the with charging circuit in your phone, maybe a short or something unshielded, but it's doubtful that a charger caused it when you said you get the same effect on multiple chargers.

That's the thing, though... the Nokia stand is the only one that makes the screen go haywire. But it all started after the screen crapped the bed originally the other night. Prior to that, I noticed no issues with ANY chargers in the week I had my NX5 or the year I had my NX4.
    11-13-2013 09:29 AM
    yes, it's definitely possible. I have an approved Qi charger and on a fluke it one-time overheated the phone. Even though it was just one time the manufacturer still wants me to exchange it for a replacement charger. The phone survived but I would say just barely based on the temp.
    11-17-2013 06:06 PM
    this is why i will only buy/use the official OEM Nexus 5 wireless charger. the Qi standard is relatively new and the only one i trust right now is the one made specifically for the Nexus 5.
    11-18-2013 06:32 AM
    this is why i will only buy/use the official OEM Nexus 5 wireless charger. the Qi standard is relatively new and the only one i trust right now is the one made specifically for the Nexus 5.
    The one incident I had was unfortunate and I'm confident it won't happen again.

There is no way I would trade my tylt charger for the stock one. It's also a stand at the perfect angle, effortless to place on the stand in landscape or portrait, charges thru most cases, handles almost every Qi phone or tablet. And their tech support is great. IMO It's really the perfect charger. BTW, I heard leo Laporte raving about his on a podcast yesterday.
    11-18-2013 06:50 AM
    The one incident I had was unfortunate and I'm confident it won't happen again.

There is no way I would trade my tylt charger for the stock one. It's also a stand at the perfect angle, effortless to place on the stand in landscape or portrait, charges thru most cases, handles almost every Qi phone or tablet. And their tech support is great. IMO It's really the perfect charger. BTW, I heard leo Laporte raving about his on a podcast yesterday.
    i don't like proprietary cables. microUSB only for me. i'll stick with OEM.
    11-18-2013 06:55 AM
    i don't like proprietary cables. microUSB only for me. i'll stick with OEM.
    What difference could the charger cable possibly make? This is a desk stand style charger, hardly portable, and why would you ever need a power cable for it other than the one that's included. Or is it that you find it necessary to salvage a likely obsolete $3 cable years from now for use with another device?
    11-18-2013 07:29 AM