Ringke Slim vs. Spigen Ultra Fit Nexus 5 cases

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Ringke Slim case for about a month now and have been happy with it, but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a second case by Spigen called the Ultra Fit (in clear). I thought I could share to you all what I think. :) I'll post the Ringke Slim case first, then the Spigen Ultra Fit next.

Ringke Slim

Pros:
  • Extremely thin and light, almost blends into the phone
  • Sharp-looking, modern design
  • Same kind of soft material as the black Nexus 5, which gives some grip
  • Camera protrusion is now protected (doesn't stick out) with the case
  • Can be used on a Qi charger (Nexus wireless charger tested)
  • Has a lip that sticks out just enough to protect the screen and top/bottom rear from drops, but...

Cons:
  • Front top/bottom is exposed, giving little protection beyond the lip
  • Because it is so snug, very difficult to remove the case...good thing I don't have to do it often
  • Due to the surface, attracts oils and such from your fingers
  • That "sharp-looking" can come with a cost, as holes and edging may feel too sharp to some.

Attachments

• IMG_20131113_125447.jpg
    IMG_20131113_125447.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20131115_002705.jpg
    20131115_002705.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 195

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Spigen Ultra Fit

Pros:
  • Light
  • Clean, understated design
  • Because it's a clear case, displays your phone's back, especially the "Nexus" logo. :)
  • Can be used on a Qi charger (Nexus wireless charger tested)
  • Camera protrusion is protected (doesn't stick out) with the case
  • Has a lip that covers all the way around the front of the phone, which is better protection than the Ringke
  • Snug, but not as snug as the Ringke if you want to remove it from time to time

Cons:
  • Glossy feel, so practically no grip
  • Clear case may scratch more easily
  • Unlike the Ringke, you can clearly tell you have a case on
  • Not as thin (relatively speaking) compared to the Ringke

If I had to decide today, I'd probably keep the Ringke on more than this one, but I've only had this on for a day...so we'll see.

Attachments

• 20131223_041235.jpg
    20131223_041235.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 48

net62957

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I like both........perhaps the Spigen a little more. The texture and feel of the Spigen has a little more grip compared to the Ringke, IMO. I like the feel a little bit more but utilize both about equal amount of time along with a slim case by Poetic. The ultra slim lines are my bread and butter......for sure.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I like both........perhaps the Spigen a little more. The texture and feel of the Spigen has a little more grip compared to the Ringke, IMO. I like the feel a little bit more but utilize both about equal amount of time along with a slim case by Poetic. The ultra slim lines are my bread and butter......for sure.

The Spigen case the OP reviewed has much less grip than the Ringke Slim, IMO, as the entire back is clear hard plastic. I'm a bit of a case junkie and have 5 different ones I've tried, and for my tastes I've narrowed it down to 2 which I swap between; the Ringke Slim and the Tetded leather flip.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Which kind of Spigen do you have? The Ultra Fit I have has absolutely no grip, but it could be because it's a clear vs. say a colored case.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I use the Spigen Neo Hybrid on my N5, black hard rubber back with a silver edge. It's perfect. I'm a case junkie but so far I've been happy enough with this case not to switch. It is a bit of a pain in the arse to take off, though.

net62957

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
It's the ultra fit. The finish feels kind of tacky to me. I use all 3 of the cases I mentioned about equally. I like the slimness and the direct touch with the power and volume buttons they provide.

Posted via Android Central App

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the SPIGEN in black, and it is almost identical to the texture of the RINGKE slim I have for my Nexus 4. I never noticed it, but finger printing does occur on the back of both. I use the ultra/slim cases like these because I want some protection and aid with grip, but it has to fit in my belt (horizontal) case. Both of these serve the purpose, and I would buy either again. That said, I have never seen a "crystal" (clear or colored) case that helped with grip, or was as thin as these two I have. I also tried a SPIGEN Slim Armor on my Nexus 5 but returned it. The case, inside of a belt case, would press buttons from normal movements too often, sometimes powering off the phone. You can see how it might happen if you see the Slim Armor on the phone - the case "buttons" really protrude from the case side. Hasn't happened since I ditched the Slim Armor. My wife likes hers though on her Nexus 5, but she transports the phone in a cargo sized purse!